Could someone who knows (was there) explain the Boston DVD sit-down "incident"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DreamOutLoud13 said:

I imagine, if Bono picks one girl, and she doesn't totally freak out or try to grope him, he'll be more likely to pick her again, because he knows she's a good pick, and "safe".

If that's true, it contradicts their reasons behind the lottery system. "Yeah, we want new faces in the ellipse, but I'll keep pulling the same girls up on stage..." It turns the whole thing into a moot point. :eyebrow:

caragriff said:
Bono actually addresses the “Boston DVD incident” in the new U2 by U2 book:

“The heart was fantastic. The only problem was some of our most ardent fans were following from gig to gig. So whatever city we’d turn up in, there’d be the same people in front of us, which was a little disorientating. And when we tried to make sure that locals got into the heart, there was a mutiny. They all sat down in Boston, in the middle of the heart, because they knew we were filming the show. They thought they weren’t telegenic enough and that’s why we were trying to keep them out. It was just we wanted to play in front of a fresh audience. So there’s still trouble over that."

which is why they implemented the lottery, yet it didnt work as the same ardant fans kept getting front rows at all the shows

I think it shows the egoism and arrogance of some who think they are bigger and more dedicated fans than others just because they have the time, money and/or opportunity to go to more than one or two shows, which apparently gives them the right to do everything. I think it's plain unfair. Everybody should have the same chances and especially those people who have only the chance to see U2 once (and maybe only once in quite a few years) should not be robbed of their chances of being close to the stage by others who are constantly there. So I understand the band's reservations. And I think the "mutiny" behaviour was nothing but childish and ridiculous.

U2Man said:
I bet Larry would have been just as pissed if he was to see his rock gods, had been camping all night, maybe even for days, and then this happened to him.

If it was the only gig he was seeing, sure. If it was his 7th, 8th time, to let someone else who hasn't gotten the chance to be up front, would be nice?

blueeyedgirl said:

Aaah, Adam fans.....:hmm:

:wink:

Bono fans more likely. Not weird enough to be bass player fans. ;)

According to Edge's theory anyhow.

Sitting down and pouting because you didn't get to the front isn't all that weird...too normal. ;P

Last edited:
Chizip said:

which is why they implemented the lottery, yet it didnt work as the same ardant fans kept getting front rows at all the shows

Exactly. I feel we're going back to old arguments about the lottery here, but the fact is it did NOT solve this problem at all. During the Vertigo shows the hardcore seeing almost every show were simply split between the front row rail and the ellipse rail, still taking the best spots in any case.

I really understand why the band would want to see fresh faces and especially allow people from the town they are playing in to be at the front. But a system that gives the chance to the dude showing up at 8pm because he got GAs from his cousin who works at the radio station to be in the ellipse while tons of dedicated (but not necessarily people who will see 10 shows) fans are outside is just wrong.

Like I have argued before, if you will do a lottery (which I am not necessarily against altogether), to a real simple one, where numbered wristbands are given out up to a certain time in the day (so it requires a miminum of efforts), and then the number picked up becomes the first person in the queue. This way you REALLY have different faces every night, you give a chance to local fans, you do not split people in groups, but at the same time you reward people who can at least make the effort of showing before let's say 4pm.

Ardent fans will eventually find out the time in the day wristbands are being handed out and still take the tickets, won't they?

50% of the heart/ellipse for those who camp overnight, but another 50% of the tickets should be randomly chosen by computer when you buy tickets on the internet.

bono_man2002 said:

Thats why its called Lottery :wink:

Didn't people figure out how to get around it, though...? I remember reading posts about how fans had found a loophole in the system and were pretty much guaranteed spots in the ellipse... :angry:

SpaceOddity said:

Didn't people figure out how to get around it, though...? I remember reading posts about how fans had found a loophole in the system and were pretty much guaranteed spots in the ellipse... :angry:

How Do You get around it?, I'd assume if it was real lottery it would just select people who get in the ellipse at random until it was full and then just let everyone else down on the floor.

bono_man2002 said:

How Do You get around it?, I'd assume if it was real lottery it would just select people who get in the ellipse at random until it was full and then just let everyone else down on the floor.

people in the ellipse could slip off their wrist bands and give them to their friends to get in, people could reuse wristbands from previous shows, people could sweet talk the people giving out wristbands....

there were many ways to get around it if you know how to work the system

U2girl said:
Ardent fans will eventually find out the time in the day wristbands are being handed out and still take the tickets, won't they?

Well, obviously, that's the idea. But if there were let's say a total of 600 numbered wristbands, it would give a larger amount of 'ardent' fans the equal opportunity to get in the front, and it would be different people in the front row every night. As long as you would get a number you would be among the first 600 people to get in (which usually means a decent spot anyways), but you wouldn't know if you'll be number 5 or number 550.

Of course people would still line-up to make sure they do get a numbered wristband in the first place, but the reality is that the average amount of people who are willing to show up before the doors open is usually no more than a few hundreds anyways. What I am saying is that it would be a way to make sure that in general people closer to the stage are serious fans, at least enough to show up to get a wristband, but it's not always the exact same 15 people in the front row every night.

In the end of the day , I can't really think of fuckin the band up , sure an act like this , if it was really caught and left on the dvd , would scar the product , I mean everybody could go on and say , Hey people actually sit on U2 Show , they must be losing it ........... But no , Is not U2 gets screwed , it's the audience ....... It's the US audience , the boston who will be remembered as such audience , even for only 15 persons .

It's true , fair enough that all the real fans should always receive as fair enough the best , but still I really don't think these ones who sat down , were real fans , they were more worried with them , with their pride ......

And as much I'd be pissed in losing the best places , I would certainly have no problem in passing them , after I had at least 1 chance of having them , for someone who only saw before the band on the Screens , or never did watch them

To be honest, the shows at the Garden that I went to, I had gotten the same exact seat for both shows one in oct and nov. it was easy if you wanted to pay the money. I was 1st row and back of stage it was awsome cause I got talk to them as they went by etc. So basically were theres a will theres a way. Plus the fact that I wasn't looking up at them we were eyelevel.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Please drop the anti-American sentiment...I'm tired of it.

Sorry for the :rant: but it's always the same thing.

Ok mate u made so good points , but lemme make somethin clear , this isn't bout envy or somethin like , of course I would be lying saying there is none jealousy of the number of shows US gets , but the point is , your country may have any shows as much there are , but if at least the audiences should have the fire others have , should be in a show like there wouldn't be other , Just simply earn the amount and distribution of the shows and and such "protests" didn't happen , I mean protest all u want but in what could had been the only dvd of the tour ??

bono_man2002 said:

Another way of getting around it was to show up with a younger child, especially after Bono began bringing children on stage during Sunday Bloody Sunday.

You were pretty much guaranteed a spot in the ellipse if you did that.

I saw the same people getting on the front rails, time after time. It mostly went like this: say there's 12 of them. Two of them legitimately scan in and beg and whine so they can each take three people in with them, instead of just one like the rule says. These 8 go in and spread out all along the front rail. Then the 4 who didn't make the cut go to the back of the floor and sniff out some more wristbands (you can usually find employees very discretely handing out the extras). Then since their friends are holding space at the front, they scoot right in.

I never saw or heard of anyone using a scalped wristband and I never met anyone hwo got in by slipping off a wristband and passing it on. It was people working the system by holding space at the front or getting security people they knew to allow huge groups with one pass.

Did it really bother me? Nah. I went to 9 shows, had GA for 7, got in the ellipse 3 times, and was front and center 2 times. From what I understand about the lottery, that's pretty good odds, so I don't feel "robbed". I felt that each time I was in GA, I understood the lottery and how it was going to work. If I got in, great, if not, oh well. The rail on the outside is not so bad either.

It's annoying that people are constantly working the system and can't just take what they get and enjoy the show for what it is, especially when it's people who are seeing dozens of shows.

I'm sorry but can anybody spot the good looking people (ladies i mean) in the first few rows??? I certainly couldn't/can't.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I saw the same people getting on the front rails, time after time. It mostly went like this: say there's 12 of them. Two of them legitimately scan in and beg and whine so they can each take three people in with them, instead of just one like the rule says. These 8 go in and spread out all along the front rail. Then the 4 who didn't make the cut go to the back of the floor and sniff out some more wristbands (you can usually find employees very discretely handing out the extras). Then since their friends are holding space at the front, they scoot right in.

I never saw or heard of anyone using a scalped wristband and I never met anyone hwo got in by slipping off a wristband and passing it on. It was people working the system by holding space at the front or getting security people they knew to allow huge groups with one pass.

Did it really bother me? Nah. I went to 9 shows, had GA for 7, got in the ellipse 3 times, and was front and center 2 times. From what I understand about the lottery, that's pretty good odds, so I don't feel "robbed". I felt that each time I was in GA, I understood the lottery and how it was going to work. If I got in, great, if not, oh well. The rail on the outside is not so bad either.

It's annoying that people are constantly working the system and can't just take what they get and enjoy the show for what it is, especially when it's people who are seeing dozens of shows.

:yes: my thoughts as well.

jinn77 said:
I'm sorry but can anybody spot the good looking people (ladies i mean) in the first few rows??? I certainly couldn't/can't.

they didnt pick "good looking" people to go in first, they picked different people

Wow, does every thread around here have to be spun into a "american U2 fans suck" thread? That dead horse has been beaten so much it's nothing but a glue puddle...

Americans seem to always think they are entitled to certain things and they are so hard done to if they dont get there own way.

My 2p

As the Team america song would go "America, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the motherfucking day yeah,
America, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way, yeah,
Terrorist your game is through / 'cuz now you have to answer to...
America, FUCK YEAH! "

vaz02 said:
Americans seem to always think they are entitled to certain things and they are so hard done to if they dont get there own way.

My 2p

I don't like what you just said there, so now I'm going to throw a tantrum until you get banned or chastised or something.

After all, I'm an American and am entitled to a thread without assinine comments.

: throws self on floor and proceeds to throw tantrum of gigantic proportions :

People were bringing their kids to the shows just to get into the elipse. I saw one woman with a fuckin baby, no kiddin , it was crawling around inside the elipse. It was sickening in LA the number of kids running around with fuckin Gameboys in the elipse.

Justin24 said:
As the Team america song would go "America, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the motherfucking day yeah,
America, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way, yeah,
Terrorist your game is through / 'cuz now you have to answer to...
America, FUCK YEAH! "

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom