Could it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I was thinking the other day how the only time they called in a new producer late in the album making was when they invited Eno during AB as apparently U2 recording with Lanois up to that point was basically "screaming at each other", not to mention the guys disagreeing on the band's new musical direction.

So...do you think it's possible that they're having problems with Chris Thomas - that he is just not working for them (as far as we know, Lanois' role wasn't specified), or that they're having problems making the album? Or, indeed, that they're having a major crisis and aren't sure how to continue their music career?

it's possible... and I heard a rumor that this record has been difficult to make... but it was just that, a rumor.

but no, I honestly just think Lanois was in the area, wanted to hear how the album sounded, and asked if he could jam with them for a week or so...

It's possible that they have become so entrenched in what they're creating that they want to get some outside perspective.

It's tough to tell what you've got when you've lived with it for so long. You eventually get so used to the smell of shit or of sweet perfume that you can't smell it anymore.

They need Lanois' nose.

They brought Steve Lillywhite in to do final mixes on pretty much every album they've done that he didn't produce. I think that's why they brought Lanois in, just to be another set of ears, to help out with final mixing and song selection and all that. He's known the band for ages and they all respect each other, I don't think it's a sign of trouble that he's come in, I think the band is probably genuinely interested in his opinion.

Eno wasn't brought in at the end of Achtung....he was brought in right in the middle......

When the rest of the planet, including Principle, is talking about a spring release. Did everyone get the email from @U2 about Sheila leaving? Every other paragraph mentioned the spring release of the new record.

i heard he deleted everything and they have to start over from scratch

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think this all getting ridiculous....some people have nothing better to do then fret over whether U2 can finish an album or not...:rolleyes:

:rant:

I agree.

So what if they are fighting anyways?

Oh No! They might make another album like Achtung Baby, that sold the most U2 records ever!

We'd never want that to happen!

:no: :yikes: :faint:

You guys are pathetic :blahblah:
(Except Reggie)

Dorian Gray said:
it's possible... and I heard a rumor that this record has been difficult to make... but it was just that, a rumor.

every album with them since achtung baby has been (in larry's words): "a hard record to make".

:| :| :| :|

I most definitely don't think they're scrapping half the album or the whole album or whatever today's rumor is.

anitram said:
Iwhatever today's rumor is.

Todays new rumor U2 is going to play AT Ben and J.lo's wedding :lol:

Okay lame lame i know... :reject:

its just that my friends don;t even care about U2 so I have to come here to talk with people who don;t care about the new rumors or something never mind...

You know I agree that waiting for U2 to put this album out is getting tedious, however I'm just trying to stress here that U2 will be putting out an album in the early spring of next year. Very early March is my best guess. I think some people have read way too much into Danny Lanois' presence at the late stages of this album. Danny himself said he was spending a week, A WEEK, in the studio with the band. Someone (who seems to be in the know) has stated in this forum that he was jamming and working with the band on some material. Still I don't think that means that the band is pushing back the schedule. Honestly I think the tour is in the early stages of being planned, and release schedules have been set. I just think that Danny had some time, so they used him to the best of his ability to help them get the best out of their talent.

I think they are very excited about the music they have produce for this album. I even think that the creative juices are still flowing so Lanois is the perfect spoil for this. He can help push them to finish or direct a new song they are excited about, and want to finish for the album. I don't believe that they want to push this album any farther out than it already is. OK, I won't spew anymore on this subject....unless pushed to!!:wink:

:eyebrow:

It would be nice if this thread would not turn into arguing.

Don't you think it's odd they're bringing someone else during making of the album? (at this stage, even - middle or end what does it matter? if we're going to semantics, most copies sold album was JT, not AB)

"Fresh ears", some say. Well, how is Lanois doing that? They've worked together for so long, it's hard to expect something earth shakingly new. On the other hand, there is someone REALLY new at hand that they never worked with before. I don't think U2 after all those years would have problems picking what songs to put on the album and that that's all Lanois was (is?) doing.

2004 release is planned, we all know that. But plans can go wrong/change sometimes (remember how Lanois posted on his website he didn't plan producing? or how the band said they'd quickly put the album together), and until we hear official annoucement of the album release, that date could be wrong for all we know. Joe O'Herlihy (I spelled that wrong, most likely), their main sound guy, also said September 2004 tour start is possible if the album release gets pushed back.

U2girl said:

U2Girl, I'm not trying to argue, however I've been following U2 since 1984 and I'm accustomed to the wait between albums, and how they usually operate. I don't find it odd at all that Mr. Lanois is or has been working with them. It's almost standard operating procedure. I'm sorry if I offended, I was just trying to get my opinion across. :yes:

U2girl said:
:eyebrow:

Don't you think it's odd they're bringing someone else during making of the album? (at this stage, even - middle or end what does it matter? if we're going to semantics, most copies sold album was JT, not AB)

"Fresh ears", some say. Well, how is Lanois doing that? They've worked together for so long, it's hard to expect something earth shakingly new. On the other hand, there is someone REALLY new at hand that they never worked with before. I don't think U2 after all those years would have problems picking what songs to put on the album and that that's all Lanois was (is?) doing.

2004 release is planned, we all know that. But plans can go wrong/change sometimes (remember how Lanois posted on his website he didn't plan producing? or how the band said they'd quickly put the album together), and until we hear official annoucement of the album release, that date could be wrong for all we know. Joe O'Herlihy (I spelled that wrong, most likely), their main sound guy, also said September 2004 tour start is possible if the album release gets pushed back.
Lanois is most likely simply doing what Steve Lillywhite did for U2 at the end of the ATYCLB sessions. If you remember, Lillywhite produced U2's first 3 albums, including parts of JT and Achtung Baby. U2 brought Lillywhite in to add some touches and get some input on several tracks, most notably 'Beautiful Day'. They're probably doing the same thing with Lanois, as he happened to be in Dublin because of his tour, and they asked him to come to the studio for a week. Lanois is coming to Toronto with Bono at the end of this week, so who knows if he'll even go back to Dublin to do more work. I really don't see this as anything more than what Lillywhite did for the band. I could see U2 asking Lillywhite, as well, to join them in the studio for a week. It would be hilarious if they asked Brian Eno to join them to give the once over, as well!

Michael Griffiths said:

I could see U2 asking Lillywhite, as well, to join them in the studio for a week. It would be hilarious if they asked Brian Eno to join them to give the once over, as well!

:wink: :laugh: :lmao:

Reggie: ok no hard feelings. I was also trying to just get my point across.

:confused: Was Lillywhite mixing or producing parts JT and AB? Speaking of him, is there any information if he is/will be involved with the album at some point?
:lol: yeah, all we need for utter confusion now is adding Eno to the picture!

personally i think flood should come and give them a kick in the pants

Back
Top Bottom