Could HTDAAB be the best U2 album ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
Based on my own experience, most of those master-piece albums that I have in my CD collection always have an amazing track listing, it's like every song adds up to another on the album, there's that perfect match of cords, lyrics and titles. Now that the track listing for HTDAAB is official I'd say the same thing is happening with U2. Just look at those titles, it seems as if all of them have this deep, profound meaning behind them.
Another thing that would add up to this conclusion is that, judging by "Vertigo", this time U2 really does rock again!
So, are we to expect even better than the "Acthung Baby" album on November 23rd?

Here's the track listing:
1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh

Theyre just words, man. I cant make a decision on music based on words.

It could be better than Pop even but we will just have to wait until November to find out. :|

Can't tell until I hear it. And when I do, I can't say it was until the thrill of new U2 wears off. I need to absorb it before I can say where it fits in relation to the other albums

Ok am I going nuts here? For 2 years I thought it was ORIGIN of the species, not ORIGINAL of the species. Did they change it at the last minute to original or am I just completely illiterate?

Anyway, this album will almost reach the status of Achtung Baby, but not surpass it

AussieU2fanman said:
Ok am I going nuts here? For 2 years I thought it was ORIGIN of the species, not ORIGINAL of the species. Did they change it at the last minute to original or am I just completely illiterate?

People have been saying both. I often noticed people saying 'Origin(al) Of The Species'.

I find these titles to be VERY exciting. They're definitely far better than the Pop and ATYCLB titles - the only one I don't like is A Man And A Woman. That said, I don't like All I Want Is You as a title and that is an AMAZING song. When I read the tracklistings of UF, JT, and Boy (U2's best albums), that simple act makes me feel like the songs are great without even listening to them. The same is true here. I hope the feeling holds true.

For the record, I think Yahweh is the best U2 song title ever. No competition AT ALL.

lol...yeah I couldn't say...BUT

from what i've heard from the critics...they SAY (ie. Bill Flannagan) that this is their best album ever.

Originally posted by Axver
People have been saying both. I often noticed people saying 'Origin(al) Of The Species'.

I find these titles to be VERY exciting. They're definitely far better than the Pop and ATYCLB titles - the only one I don't like is A Man And A Woman.

To me, even "Man And A Woman" is a great title, somehow I think Bono will probably have a biblical reference to it, it's gotta be about Adam and Eve, I'm almost sure about it.

For the record, I think Yahweh is the best U2 song title ever. No competition AT ALL.

Definitely! I'm telling you, an album with titles like these has got to be a master piece!
I hope Edge confirms this :wink:

Okay let's jump the gun. We only heard one song and you can't judge a U2 song by the title. I think it will be hard to top Joshua Tree as far as track popularity and success of the song, even though it is not my favorite.
Well all find out in November.

I like All Because of You by title, I guess that we will see how it goes because generally titles dont tell you anything - unless the track is just the title being repeated again and again. If you tell somebody that you like "Where the Streets Have No Name" they could think your talking about a phone book add.

Judging from what we've heard with Vertigo and seen on the track listing, I think HTDAAB has lot of potential to be one of their greatest albums. I'll admit, it seems like it's going to be a strong, heavy, emotional album, but I'll wait to hear the thing before I go around saying it's the best U2 album ever.

vivaSA said:

To me, even "Man And A Woman" is a great title, somehow I think Bono will probably have a biblical reference to it, it's gotta be about Adam and Eve, I'm almost sure about it.

Hmm, plus there's an Adam in the band. :hmm:

Definitely! I'm telling you, an album with titles like these has got to be a master piece!
I hope Edge confirms this :wink:

They didn't change it, it was "Original of the Species", Bono was referring to Edge as an original of the species, perhaps the species of guitarists?

I had heard it was also a reference to one of Edge's daughters, "she's an original of the species. "

I read/visit various U2 sites, interference is just one of them. (*shh* I mostly get news/interviews from atu2.com)

Last edited:
Well, all I can say so far is that the Album cover kicks! The Album title kicks! The songs titles kick! Vertigo kicks! Plus, there is an instrumental BURIED somewhere on this album! What is there not to like so far. ...Other than hearing it all of course!:drool:

My speculative vibes to this point tell me that Love And Peace Or Else is going to be in my Top 3 off the album. I know that is too crazy to say right now, but I was really sold on what I heard of it so far and what The Edge said about it yesterday. :drool:

And next week, NME will give us track by track overview of the album so we have some idea on what it really sounds like!

It could very well be U2's best album, but it will never be their biggest/most popular. With no offense meant to the band or anyone else, really:

The Joshua Tree will always be the biggest and most popular Album U2 released because it went against mainstream trends entirely, and eventually appealed to the largest segments of the Western population- baby boomers, AND Generation X. It was also released at a time when piracy was not a major concern and people either heard a song on the radio, or bought the music in a brick and mortar store.

Joshua Tree will always be the biggest, no bones about that. HTDAAB has the potential to rival Achtung Baby as being the most complete in my opinion.

I think that, for me at least, the defining moment will be when I read the lyrics and see all of the depth and dimension of the 90s come roaring back...at least I hope.

U2 Featured in New Q Magazine

U2 are largely featured in the new issue of Q Magazine in a five page article that boasts a band interview, a track-by-track analysis of the upcoming "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" by the band themselves.

Some interesting trivia sure to set fans scrambling to their local bookstores to soak up: "Vertigo" used to be called "Native Son," according to Adam Clayton, "Love and Peace or Else" is U2 doing their best Led Zeppelin sound and has been around since "the last record" according to The Edge, "City of Blinding Lights" is about New York City, "Crumbs from Your Table" is about the AIDS crisis and the last time Edge cried was while listening to "Original of the Species."

I'm telling you, the best album EVER! :)

Last edited:
Well I have gone ahead and jumped the gun on my speculation about Vertigo and the remaining album in my "Timing of HTDAAB" thread...based on the info available from band interviews and my own crazy imagination I'm assuming it's going to be huge. I really think it's going to be similar to Achtung Baby in the sense that there is a central character in this album that is going to be dealing with the issues of one's place in the world and spirituality...Achtung Baby dealt with love in the sense of earthly terms and I think that HTAAB is going to address in in more ethereal and heavenly ways, that it will deal with many of the concepts and thoughts that were below the surface of ATYCLB. I am very very excited to hear this album!

Hola amigos :wave:

well, my answer is simple: NO Way, by no means this will be the U2´s ultimate masterpiece :no: , for many reasons:

1. Every time Bono has said something like "This will be our finest album, our best LP", etc is just a fake :sad:. Nor Pop nor ATYCLB has been the best U2 album
Before the REAL U2´s best albums ( The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Acthung Baby ) Bono never said those words, and they were outstanding albums, remaining beyond today as U2´s masterpieces :yes:

2. Vertigo: Is a cool rock song, but isn´t a U2 classic. U2 has several songs far better than this one, like "Bad", "Pride ( in the name of love )", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "With Or Without You", "ISHFWILF", "One", "The Fly", "Running To Stand Still", "A Sort Of Homecoming", "Miss Sarajevo", "Please", "New Year´s Day", "All I Want Is You", "The First Time", "I Will Follow", "Gloria", "WTSHNN", "Staring At The Sun", "Gone", "Stay", "Mysterius Ways", "One Tree Hill", etc, etc.

3. Band´s sound: is related both to 1. and 2. topics.
Bono said the same things about U2´s "new" sound before ATYCLB, words like "The most sounding album after Joshua Tree". THat´s exacly the same kind of words he used before ATYCLB. Also "Vertigo" has very ATYCLB sound, I don´t see any "new" sound like The Unforgettable Fire, Acthung Baby or Pop.

4. So many fake news around this album: like the "Stolen CD", if this album will be something 100 % :bow: wouldn´t be necessary to do marketing like that one :yuck:, the music will be the only news :yes:

5. Album delays: First rumors about this new album said it will be on stores late 2003...then March 2004... then July 2004, etc.
:(

So, what I´m waiting with this album ??

Good songs, nothing more than that

Peace ;)

Once again, ponkine, you shove your negativity down our throats before hearing the album. What is the matter with you? If you don't like the album after you actually hear it, then you can complain about it and we will listen.

bsp77 said:
Once again, ponkine, you shove your negativity down our throats before hearing the album. What is the matter with you? If you don't like the album after you actually hear it, then you can complain about it and we will listen.

sorry :ohmy:

ponkine said:

Ok, now I feel bad. But I am just getting annoyed with some of the early convictions, both positive and negative. I am expecting a great album, but am not certain of it until I hear it. I also don't want to be negative before I hear it, why worry about it being a bad album? Just be excited about it and keep an open mind.

Forgive me for being an ass? I am not pleased about being at work at the moment.

bsp77 said:

Ok, now I feel bad. But I am just getting annoyed with some of the early convictions, both positive and negative. I am expecting a great album, but am not certain of it until I hear it. I also don't want to be negative before I hear it, why worry about it being a bad album? Just be excited about it and keep an open mind.

Forgive me for being an ass? I am not pleased about being at work at the moment.

it´s ok amigo, all we´re U2 fans here, after all :wave:

Peace

:heart:

ponkine said:

it´s ok amigo, all we´re U2 fans here, after all :wave:

Peace

:heart:

Thanks, I feel a little better now. :) But I was a little too nasty before.

vivaSA said:
Based on my own experience, most of those master-piece albums that I have in my CD collection always have an amazing track listing, it's like every song adds up to another on the album, there's that perfect match of cords, lyrics and titles. Now that the track listing for HTDAAB is official I'd say the same thing is happening with U2. Just look at those titles, it seems as if all of them have this deep, profound meaning behind them.
Another thing that would add up to this conclusion is that, judging by "Vertigo", this time U2 really does rock again!
So, are we to expect even better than the "Acthung Baby" album on November 23rd?

Here's the track listing:
1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh
[/QUOTE

I'll let you know when I've heard it! They can do no wrong! with that in mind, I know it'll kick ass~

What is "best"? Take a poll of everyone in this forum, asking them what the 'best' U2 album is, and you'll get a variety of answers. I think U2's best album is 'Achtung, Baby'. Others may think it's 'The Joshua Tree'. Still others may feel 'The Unforgettable Fire' is U2's best work. And the really old people may feel the band peaked at 'U23'.

'Best' is such a relative word. :blahblah:

Back
Top Bottom