Could 'Electrical Stom' Win Video Of The Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is really a very special video, and there's nothing like it in the mainstream right now. It's one of the most "arty" videos U2 have ever done (not as arty as 'One' with the buffalo mind you), and it so beautifully shot, so very well done. I love that one shot of Samantha Morton as the fireworks are exploding - just so - behind her. It could have been cheesy, but the effect is quite powerful. All the subtleties work like clockwork here, and with the combination of the music, the result is cinimatic magic. I wonder how long it took Anton and his team to not only shoot it just right, but to edit it? Truly a labour of love.

I could see this winning some awards, but given the crap that usually wins at the MTV Video Awards, it will turn out to be too intelligent and sophisticated to win. Instead we'll se the usual, rap, rap-metal and the like, but oh well.

http://www.montrealgazette.com
September 28, 2002
From The Montreal Gazette:

Seaside with U2 is a far-out trip

Electrical Storm, U2.

This gorgeous black-and-white clip lensed by photographer Anton Corbijn - the guy who shot the famous
cover art for the group's mammoth The Joshua Tree album - would be notable if only for the fact it stars
perennially unassuming drummer Larry Mullen and features little actual footage of noted spotlight hog Bono.
But with its lush cinematography, shimmering locale (the beaches of the seaside community of Eze-sur-Mer
in the south of France), non-linear narrative (in other words, I have no idea what's going on) and a passionate
turn by actress Samantha Morton as a mysterious mermaid, the clip will go down as one of the year's best.
You can watch it on the Web at www.u2.com/exclusive/excl_detail.html. (You'll need either Quicktime or
Windows Media Player.)

Last edited:
pinkfloyd said:
no , cause it's too damn sexy and too pure rock'n'rollish stuff for MTV

No, because it's too slow, too adult comtemporary, and done by too old of a band for MTV. But I do love the song very much. Not the video but the song. It's awesome.

why is it that everything U2 releases must be worthy of winning awards?

oh right, cuz they do. :wink:

i dunno...it may. i think it'd be more likely for it to win at the grammies than at the vma's, but the video might be overlooked by the grammies. what i mean is, if it were to be nominated by both and i had to pick which one they'd win for, i'd say grammy. or, if i had to pick which one i think would be most likely to nominate it. did that make any sense? :laugh:

KhanadaRhodes said:
why is it that everything U2 releases must be worthy of winning awards?

oh right, cuz they do. :wink:

i dunno...it may. i think it'd be more likely for it to win at the grammies than at the vma's, but the video might be overlooked by the grammies. what i mean is, if it were to be nominated by both and i had to pick which one they'd win for, i'd say grammy. or, if i had to pick which one i think would be most likely to nominate it. did that make any sense? :laugh:

:yes: It did. I was actually thinking Grammies too...With MTV, who knows? It's far less likely though, I think.

Back
Top Bottom