Could "Boy" be...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
...popular if it was released today? What do you think? Not neccesarily by U2, just that it's made now.
I think it would, cause it would be sth fresh, "inovative"... And the sound would fit the time also very well...

Now that I think about that, maybe they should've released sth similair instead of that bomb...:uhoh: :confused:

Boy rocks! :rockon:
(ok, i wrote this just so I can put that smiley there...:wink: but it does rock!!!)

To me, there is a direct connection between Boy and The Bomb. Almost as if Bomb could have been a direct follow-up to Boy. I am surprised TheFlyOnTheWall that you don't like the Bomb having such strong feelings for Boy.

By the way, Boy is a special album and would be even more succsessful if it were released today!:drool:

Yes, I think "Boy" would be very successful nowadays. It would have to take another production (to sound more like "we're in 2004"), and a few changes, but certainly it would sell millions and get people to the gigs.

When I first heard I Will Follow in 1998, I didn't realise it was eighteen years old. When I bought Boy a few years later, I was shocked to see it was over twenty years old. It could easily be released today. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why Boy is the best debut album ever.

mculver said:
To me, there is a direct connection between Boy and The Bomb. Almost as if Bomb could have been a direct follow-up to Boy. I am surprised TheFlyOnTheWall that you don't like the Bomb having such strong feelings for Boy.

By the way, Boy is a special album and would be even more succsessful if it were released today!:drool:

I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams Bomb released right after Boy. While I do like Bomb, I think it's completely different. Does it have anything on it that matches the fury of Electric Co. for example.

Aygo said:
Yes, I think "Boy" would be very successful nowadays. It would have to take another production (to sound more like "we're in 2004"), and a few changes, but certainly it would sell millions and get people to the gigs.

If Boy would have "a few changes and another production" than we'd had another Bomb. Atomic one. Cause that's how they would produce it now.
Remember the sessions with Chris Tomas, they probably had a more rocking and raw album, but later... we got da bomb.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
...popular if it was released today? What do you think? Not neccesarily by U2, just that it's made now.
I think it would, cause it would be sth fresh, "inovative"... And the sound would fit the time also very well...

Now that I think about that, maybe they should've released sth similair instead of that bomb...:uhoh: :confused:

Boy rocks! :rockon:
(ok, i wrote this just so I can put that smiley there...:wink: but it does rock!!!)
Bah, I don't Boy has a very current or innovative sound at all. Listen to tracks like A Day Without Me, all the phaser and flanger effects in the guitars, it's so 80s.

That said, it is a rockin' album, and still rocks out harder than most of today's crap. IMO Bomb sounds like Boy in only the fact that it has a lot of up-temo tracks.

Bomb reeks of syrupy production values compared to the crinkle and broken glass sound effects from the refrain of Out of Control. Two completely different entities.

The great thing about rock 'n roll in my opinion is that it's timeless. I think you can still release Whole Lotta Love as a single today and it woulden't sound dated, the same thing goes for Boy. There are indeed a couple of guitar effects moments that maybe sound a bit dated but the basic songwritting of the album would still sound fresh today. And I do think that Boy has a particular kind of feel to it that could be called inovative.

to me the album does have a slightly dated feel to it. the ringing guitars, etc. does sound incredibly early 80s. that's not to say though that it hasn't aged well! there are albums that sound dated but are still great and then there are those that you hear and it reminds you of everything that was bad about that particular era.

it's a great debut album, but i'm still not sure if they'd found their own sound by this point. to me they still sounded like they were trying to be joy division.

I love Boy, but I wouldn't call it innovative and it definitely screams "early 80s". As for releasing it today... I doubt U2 could replicate this youthful energy in their 40s (not to mention that Bono would have to forget everything he learned about singing in the last 25 years). And it's true that many currently-cool bands nowadays go back to that period for inspiration, but they still sound updated.

Back
Top Bottom