could american prayer be the worst song ever written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
it just came on my itunes. i had forgotten how much it sucks. sheeeesh, it's horrible.

not even beyonce's sexy voice can save it.

Another unnecessary thread. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
It's a charity song. Charity songs have to be cheesy.

last unicorn said:
Another unnecessary thread. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
It's a charity song. Charity songs have to be cheesy.

i can deal with some cheese, but do they have to be awful beyond words too? musically, lyrically, arrangement-wise, etc.?

last unicorn said:
Another unnecessary thread.

I quite disagree. All of U2Man's threads are necessary.

...ok, maybe they aren't necessarily necessary, but they are often fun. :)

I have no idea what this song is. I've been reading some thread titles about Bono and American Idol, does it have to do with that? It's not another "I love America I forgot about Ireland" :wink: song is it?

no its got nothing to do with ai. it was a song bono wrote a few years ago when he was on a tour across america for data, i believe, raising awareness on the african issue.

if you post your email i can hook you up. but beware, you asked for it then. dont blame me.

it was made by Bono and some other guy whose name I can't remember in 2002, for the Heart of America tour...
The finalists of AI performed the song, and then met with Bono.. and a LOT of online sources claim Bono wrote it for them there, but that's just another lame mistake by contactmusic copied by many sites..

Bono wrote it with Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics back in 2002.
The South Africa version with Beyonce was the first one I heard, I liked it! But now that I heard the solo version of Bono from the Heart of America tour I have to say that I like that version more. I am not very fond of the AI version. And it's true, a lot of media sources claimed Bono has written this song for AI especially, that's how badly informed most of the media is.

as a u2 fan it's somehow embarrassing to know that bono wrote the worst song that has ever been written.

I liked the original version the best, with the little kids singing. When 4 year olds are singing, it makes sense that the song is "cheesy". Obviously, 4 year olds aren't going to sing lyrics like in Bad or Love is Blindness.

The Beyonce version is....weird. The American Idol version....wtf? :der:

An example of the state of journalism today.

Song Title: American Prayer
Show Title: American Idol

Conclusion: Must have been specially commissioned for the show.

Journalists today must not have Internet access because they seem incapable of fact checking. Or maybe they just don't give a rat's ass about facts.

Dana

It's probably on the list of worse songs written by otherwise good songwriters list, but worse ever is a stretch.

Did Bono and Edge play that particular song at that We Love Nelson Mandela fest 46664 a few years back?

If so, I liked that song.

intedomine said:
Did Bono and Edge play that particular song at that We Love Nelson Mandela fest 46664 a few years back?

If so, I liked that song.

they did. you must like every song ever written then.

this is a great thread. It just might be the worst song ever written, definetly one of the worst thing Bono's ever been a part of.

I know it was for a good cause, but who cares? still sucks horribly....

sucked when beyonce sung it, and it sucked worse when the american idols sung it. Thank God Bono only talked on that show and didnt sing with them.

An Cat Gav said:
Not quite the worst song ever ;) Gwen Stefani fills up most of the worst ever top 10!! :wink:

Have you had the misfortune of hearing yer pal (Gwen) and Husband murdering Sweetest Thing yet? Its on youtube, maybe best not, it may do yer duster in!!

Ever, in the history of songwriting? Nah, there are worse songs.

But on the Cheese-o-meter, this ranks right up there with We are the World and I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke.

unico said:

have you not heard of the cheeky girls? i think they outsuck this one. the sad thing is, i'm sure they want it that way.

i can hardly imagine that anything can be worse than american prayer.

I think the honour of worst song in the world really belongs to 'Toast', a little ditty by Paul Young, that he released under an assumed name (who could blame him!?!) back in the early 80's, that's not worth even the paper it was written on!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom