cooked lunch for Bono and his wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshua the tree

Babyface
It was a couple years ago in Miami, at start of elavation tour. It was Ali's birthday. He came back into the kitchen after eating was very gracious. It was like meeting an old friend for the 1st time. I was high for a week. "Best fioe gras I've ever had". Yeah, the man eats foie gras.

Carek1230 said:
Cool story!

^HahaEliv8, you come up with the VERY BEST stuff on the internet! :wink:

chicks.jpg

What is foie gras?

I am mentally pronouncing this as "Foy Grass," which I assume is incorrect, but soemhow amusing.

Rachel D. said:
What is foie gras?

I am mentally pronouncing this as "Foy Grass," which I assume is incorrect, but soemhow amusing.

I have no clue....but that's pretty close to how I would guess to say it - foy grah.

If I'm correct, and please correct me if I'm not, it's goose liver pate. Many are against the whole concept of foie gras because in many (all? not sure if there's another way to prepare a goose for foie gras) cases, the geese are basically force fed ... and fed and fed and fed, a setup that is inhumane.

Sick! Glad I've never seen that on any menu. I've got no qualms eating animals, but they don't need to be force-fed to death :tsk:

Rachel D. said:
What is foie gras?

It is French for "fat liver".

"Foie gras is considered one of the greatest delicacies in the world of French cuisine. It is very rich and buttery, with a delicate flavor unlike regular duck or goose liver."

Too expensive for my tastes - but if you like paté and want to try some high end stuff, foie gras is the choice.

Actually, foie gras in not pate, it's just the goose liver itself.

It means "fat liver," and, as other's have stated, results from a goose being over-fed, to the point that the liver becomes enlarged and very full of fat.

I must admit, I have tried it before, and it is unlike any "liver"-like food you might have tried before... it is literally like butter, in a more solid form, and it was incredibly delicious...

But, knowing where it comes from, I swore off of it soon after I first tasted it. It just isn't right! I feel the same about how meat is raised in general... I am a card-carrying carnivore, truly, but I feel very strongly about humanely grown, humanely slaughtered animals... we should treat all of God's animals with respect and gratitude!

And if everyone supported cage-free, free-range, antibiotic- and hormone-free animal husbandry, the price would come down considerably... I still consider it a worthwhile investment now, but it is a considerable outlay!

And I especially refuse to buy anything but cage-free eggs and chicken! What they do to those poor chickens in those multi-national company plants is really detestable!!! :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom