Constant Bashing of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

My mood has been so much better since I left, and it isn't as if I can change a blasted thing from there anyway.
Melon

Yep I had noticed that in myself as well, even noticed that in some of your posts in other areas..:)

Well when/if you do come, the first round will definately be on me! :yes:

melon said:

They didn't get "stomped" and Bush did not get his "mandate." By all accounts, a real "mandate" would be like Reagan in 1984 and Nixon in 1972. 51% of the vote is *not* a "mandate" and is *not* being "stomped. FYI, while Bush won the Presidency, Democrats made net gains in many state legislatures.

Melon

Sure, 51% does not sound like a lot, but once U realize that it is 3 MILLION people, and that the Democrats LOST seats in both the Senate and the House, and that the Republicans, like it or not, have more pull in Congress now, it's a stomping. Also, check out the county votes....there are several maps available showing Bush's dominance in this election, the majority of the US was in Red, instead of the Democratic blue.

The Disciple said:
Sure, 51% does not sound like a lot, but once U realize that it is 3 MILLION people, and that the Democrats LOST seats in both the Senate and the House, and that the Republicans, like it or not, have more pull in Congress now, it's a stomping. Also, check out the county votes....there are several maps available showing Bush's dominance in this election, the majority of the US was in Red, instead of the Democratic blue.

The majority of the U.S. is always red, because it is generally only urban areas that vote overwhelmingly Democratic. This is not a new phenomenon. Indeed, the Democratic bastion that we call "Washington, DC" always votes around 85-90% Democratic in every election. Of course, that's our only "city state," so all the other urban areas have their heavily slanted Democratic votes muted by rural Republican votes.

Democrats lost House seats certainly, but Texas also gerrymandered its way to victory in a few of those races. The Senate did lose too, yes, but when you have pseudo-Republicans like former Georgia Sen. Zell Miller, you might as well have truth in advertising and actually elect a Republican in his place. The Democrats did, indeed, lose, but my point was that this is no "mandate." On the contrary, I still think Bush scared voters to victory. What a pity, but the end justifies the means, eh?.

3 million is not a mandate. The GOP also does not have a 60 vote lead in the Senate, so not only can they not prevent filibusters against a united Democratic Party, but if they piss off the moderate to liberal Republican senators, they can still lose votes. If the GOP played regional politics for years in wrangling control of the South, the Democratic Party could do the same with New England, as their Republicans are often more in line with mainline Democrats than the GOP.

Melon

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Now, for something completely U2-related, I couldn't help but chuckle at The Edge's quote in the new book included with the Deluxe box set:

"All warfare is based on deception"

Interesting! :)

Cheers

:wave:

Theres another thread about how that line is missing from the North American edition of the book. Interesting that its in yours.

melon said:
maybe even Japan (those TESL programs), although I think of this as a last resort.

It's actually TEFL in Japan, TESL in the anglophone world.

I have many family friends who have gone abroad through TEFL programs. My advice to you, if you do end up going down this route is not to go to Japan. It is too expensive to live there (same goes for HK). On the other hand, you can get just as awesome of an experience in South Korea or Taiwan, and make a good chunk of money while there to set you up with when you get home. :)

melon said:

the tech industry will abandon them too and migrate to Malaysia.

Being in the Tech industry, lemme tell you Malaysia is already considered too expensive.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
You two have me wanting to seriously move to Canada... lol

I've heard this alot, from celebs, to people in all walks of life. I know of no one who actually goes through with it !

melon said:

Pretty soon, the GOP will append an exception for that last line to exclude gay people. "Defense of Marriage" my ass.

This is, ultimately, why I'm en route to Canada when my funds and paperwork go through.

Melon

Cool! I make room on my couch for american "refugees"!! :)

gabrielvox said:
80s:

Now that I am DIRECTLY speaking to you, as opposed to my last post with was directed in a general sense at the overall whinyness of this thread

I've had absolutely no problems over here or in the other U2-related forums, and for you to accuse me of the things you do in your post clearly shows that you know very little, if anything, about me.

It does reveal quite a bit about the resentment, anger and spite you apparently still feel towards me, over what I'm not even sure I recall. In fact, I must say I think I had forgotten all about you.

If you seriously weren't aiming your boo hoo statement at me, then I apologize. You posted your "boo hoo" right after my statement about not being able to get contracts. That's one reason I thought you were directing it at me.

But let me remind you of the way you used to treat me, and you'll know the main reason I thought it was directed at me. You constantly said "f*** you" and even "go to hell" to me simply because of a theological disagreement. You then accused me of somehow finding out your email address and sending you viruses and threatened me over it. You even received a rebuke from the mod at the time over that one. And now you try to tell me you don't "recall" these things?

Americans have a right to 'boo hoo.' Their livelihoods are being taken away. People here make good money compared to other countries, true, but our cost of living is much much higher too. We can't live on $3.50 an hour here, because no one is going to lower their prices with our wages. My husband makes $21.00 per hour and we cannot afford a house outside a bad neighborhood. Image $3.50. Even if 2 people had 2 jobs at that much each, you still have a shitty life. I don't believe anyone in another country should have their life improved at the cost of downgrading someone else. This is not just America, it should go for everywhere. It's wrong.

If you need someone to blame ....

There's only one thing worse than America, and that's people who constantly bitch about it.

America is not the cause of all ills in our world. It's a cause, but not the cause. If you want someone to blame, throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty. :wink:

Last edited:
Indiana Jones said:
There's only one thing worse than America, and that's people who constantly bitch about it.

America is not the cause of all ills in our world. If you want someone to blame, throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty. :wink:

Amen! :D

The_acrobat said:
I just want to say I'm sick of all these assholes on here bashing Americans. Apparently, we have no taste, and we all need easily accessible pop music to appeal to our lame musical tastes.

Well, you just have to realise that to the rest of the world countries, with their impeccable and faultless taste in music, America does look like a joke. I mean, have you seen J-Lo, Backstreet Boys or Britney chart anywhere else aside from US? I sure haven't, and certainly not here in Australia where Ketchup Song and Celine Dion albums definitely haven't sold gazillions! And American Music Awards have, like, ages to go before they even approach the sheer awesomeness and class that is the Eurovision Song Contest.

Re: Re: Constant Bashing of Americans

Saracene said:
And American Music Awards have, like, ages to go before they even approach the sheer awesomeness and class that is the Eurovision Song Contest.

:lmao:

deux points

Last edited:
How in the world did this thread get only one star? This is a great thread!

Re: Re: Constant Bashing of Americans

Saracene said:

Well, you just have to realise that to the rest of the world countries, with their impeccable and faultless taste in music, America does look like a joke. I mean, have you seen J-Lo, Backstreet Boys or Britney chart anywhere else aside from US? I sure haven't, and certainly not here in Australia where Ketchup Song and Celine Dion albums definitely haven't sold gazillions! And American Music Awards have, like, ages to go before they even approach the sheer awesomeness and class that is the Eurovision Song Contest.
Well, I'm not a fan of any you listed above. Who else do you like besides U2?

I don't think I would make such a brash generalization about all the people from a country or contintent, but I will say that all U2 fans I have met, regardless of nationality, have been pretty cool people! :)

yimou said:

I would be interested in hearing your analysis of the US's role in World War II, rather than just seeing your tongue hanging out.

80sU2isBest said:

I would be interested in hearing your analysis of the US's role in World War II, rather than just seeing your tongue hanging out.

I did so much work at school on WW2, but have forgotten so much since!
But with regards to the US's role, obviously it was vital, but (and im not trying to start any argument here, I genuinly want to know) what was their reason for not joining the war sooner?

Which president was it at the time too?

Im from the UK by the way, and i am genuinly interested to know the answers!:wink:

I fully UNDERSTAND America´s role and vital participation in World War II.. But if you look beyond my " tongue ", and maybe take a second to understand what the quote i took is actually implying then maybe you get a little clue to why somebody go as far as bashing Americans. Its a classic example of - Because of us, then this and that and so on -. Its disrespectful to every single country that fought for liberation during the war, but unfortunately its also typical.
I know my World war II history, and i know the importantance of the involvement of the US.
My family lost 3/4 of its members during World War II. But certainly i do not and will never give complete credit for the end of the war to America. And nither should Americans.

Thats why my tongue was hanging out... I think this thread is completely stupid, and i for one do not dislike Americans in any way. I have no reason to do so... What i dislike is small minded people, ALL over the world.

And mind you that all i did was to " let my tongue stick out ". I stayed away from any bashing, except my tongueish disagreement with that quote..

What can i expect in return now ???? 80sU2isBEST ??,, Have you already brought out your history books ?? If so then i can tell you in advance, that i have no desire to start an arguement about World War II, because that would be stupid. And i wasn´t doing so in the first place....

yimou said:

What can i expect in return now ???? 80sU2isBEST ??,, Have you already brought out your history books ?? If so then i can tell you in advance, that i have no desire to start an arguement about World War II, because that would be stupid. And i wasn´t doing so in the first place....

Good grief, calm down. The "tongue sticking out" instead of a thought-provoking response just seems very immature to me.

Back
Top Bottom