Confession time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Who else likes the song 1985 by Bowling For Soup just cos U2 is mentioned in the chorus and it is catchy as hell.

Springsteen, Madonna
way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that shes uncool
'Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

:reject: :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
That song got rather overplayed when it came out, but yes, their mention of U2 did make me not mind it nearly as much :D.

Angela

Aha! That's what I thought!

Even though it's mall-pop-punk or whatever, I don't mind the lyrics cos they're nostalgic. Cmon people... you can confess. It'll be okay. :wink:

That song lost all credibility with me when it claimed MTV ever played music. You can go spouting off bullshit all you want, but at least make it realistic-sounding bullshit.

They mention Blondie too though she/they were washed up/inactive by 1985.

Blondie's last hit was "Rapture" in 1980. I don't even think they were recording after that. One reason was Blondie's/Debbie's bandmate and boyfriend Chris had a serious illness. He eventually recovered but they broke up after she put her career on hold to nurse him, so all the time she spent on him was for nothing like Kevin and Winnie on the Wonder Years. She and some band members did resume their career later, without their former success. But we'll always love her!

Last edited:
typhoon said:
That song lost all credibility with me when it claimed MTV ever played music. You can go spouting off bullshit all you want, but at least make it realistic-sounding bullshit.

You must be too young to remember the 1980s very well. I graduated from high school in 1985 and back then it was pretty much videos 24/7.

Bono's shades said:
You must be too young to remember the 1980s very well. I graduated from high school in 1985 and back then it was pretty much videos 24/7.
it was a joke?

i'm sorry, but i can't imagine liking a song just because U2 is mentioned once in it. but i guess it's just me. :shrug:

I'm not exactly saying that I like the song... just that it's been in my head since late afternoon when I heard it at the gym and I had to make a thread about it and it won't go away! Please make it go away!!! :scream: But I can't help singing along to the lyrics anyway. :reject: :wink:

yimou said:
I dont even know the song :|

Haha... good for you! :wink:

Maybe cos that genre of music is really more popular with the kids in America than the rest of the world. :shrug:

KhanadaRhodes said:

it was a joke?

i'm sorry, but i can't imagine liking a song just because U2 is mentioned once in it. but i guess it's just me. :shrug:

I can, I sing along to it just so I can say "U2!!" really loud.

Followed with a "wait, U2 is still around, this song sucks now"

they are, you know. still around.

Back
Top Bottom