Comparissons between HTDAAB and ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I've been listening to HTDAAB since I got it on Friday, I keep getting these feelings of comparisson between songs on that album and songs on ATYCLB. For example, to me:

"SYCMIOYO" is definitely the "Kite" of the album - a personal ballad from Bono about his father.

"Vertigo" is definitely the "Beautiful Day" - the catchy, popular opener and first single with the adictive chorus.

"Fast Cars" is definitely the "Ground Beneath Her Feet (released on the UK/Irish addition of the album as a twelfth track) - the bonus song only released in certain parts of the world that sounds totally different from the mood of the rest of the album.

"Yahweh" is definitely the "Grace" - slow-tempo closer with a name that has religious connotations.

Anyone think of any more? What do ye think of the above?
JTH :)

Last edited:
Its the same kinda album. Only the magnificent Love and Peace Or Else standouts as the class of the record.

rjhbonovox said:
Its the same kinda album. Only the magnificent Love and Peace Or Else standouts as the class of the record.

Have you ever considered not being negative?

Axver said:

Have you ever considered not being negative?

I think I have it now, unless you praise the new album as the best thing since sliced bread you can't offer an opinion. Ok!

I think I do, too: unless you think 90's U2 is the best thing since sliced bread your opinion is invalid.

OK!

rjhbonovox said:

I think I have it now, unless you praise the new album as the best thing since sliced bread you can't offer an opinion. Ok!

No, that wasn't at all what was said. It is possible to criticise the album in a rational way. To have genuine critiques of songs or whatnot.

You do not do that. I have not read one post where you articulate your problem with anysongs. You do however continue to post the same misplaced "innovative" in most of your posts.

So what specifically are you dissapointed in. Is it the basice chord progressions, is it the fact that the Edge only seems to know one scale on the album, is it that Bono uses a series of benign ryhming cupplets? What. Don't just run around say it is crap without thinking through your argument. Teenagers do that.

Well I am only 12 actually not a teenager yet but saying that I have not told you why the album isn't one of their best is rubbish. I have made loads of statements about what I think is wrong with the music and given in detail what problems I have with the new album. But because I am not praising the new album and saying its fantastic you keep coming back and saying whats the reason you havenet given any valid reasons. Ok its a great album, its the best thing they have ever done thats a valid enough point to make, is it?

U2girl said:
I think I do, too: unless you think 90's U2 is the best thing since sliced bread your opinion is invalid.

OK!

That's exactly the way it seems. It's as if we should all worship the nineties for being so creative, and because U2 aren't continuing to do that, they should be criticised and said to be uncreative. What total bollocks. Hut Dab is creative, just not in the same way that AB/Zooropa/Pop are. It's more in the vein of the eighties style of creativity, which I prefer anyway.

rjhbonovox said:
Well I am only 12 actually not a teenager yet

Yeah, and you registered for these forums when you were ten ... pull the other leg.

I have made loads of statements about what I think is wrong with the music and given in detail what problems I have with the new album.

Yeah, that it's not innovative like the nineties, which is nothing short of total rubbish. I suppose you don't like anything U2 made before Achtung Baby either?

rjhbonovox said:
Well I am only 12 actually not a teenager yet but saying that I have not told you why the album isn't one of their best is rubbish. I have made loads of statements about what I think is wrong with the music and given in detail what problems I have with the new album. But because I am not praising the new album and saying its fantastic you keep coming back and saying whats the reason you havenet given any valid reasons. Ok its a great album, its the best thing they have ever done thats a valid enough point to make, is it?

OK so you are speaking like an irrational pre-teen. What are these "loads of statements", I have not seen them. The only thing I have seen from you that even resembles an arguement is that you don't like the song structures. Fine. Elaborate.

To answer your final question: no, I don't think that your opinion would be valid if you praised the album either with out specific concrete points.

Vertigo=Elevation vertigos better

Miracle Drug=Beautiful Day BD is slightly better

Sometimes...=Kite Sometimes is slightly better

City of Blinding Lights=New York City...is better

Love and Peace...=When I Look at the World Love is better

All Because of You=In a little While ABOY is better

A Man and a Woman=Wild Honey AMAAW is better

Crumbs from Your table=Walk On Crumbs is slightly better

One Step Closer=Grace OSC is slightly better

Original of the Species=Stuck in a Moment OOTS is better

Yahweh=Peace on Earth Yahweh is better

Well, for someone who really liked ATYCLB, HTDAAB has done extremely well in my book!

Yep I love their 80's music as well been a fan since I heard TUF in 1984, and the main problem I have with these last 2 albums is they sound like they are re-treading old ground. As I have said before songs such as Miracle Drug and Crumbs with its chiming 80's guitar, sound like they have been done before. But just cos I love their 80's music doesn't mean they have to sound like there recording the current album as if its a follow up to The Joshua Tree which it sounds like it is. Only Love and Peace Or Else sounds like its anything different from anything else on the new album.

rjhbonovox said:
Yep I love their 80's music as well been a fan since I heard TUF in 1984, and the main problem I have with these last 2 albums is they sound like they are re-treading old ground. As I have said before songs such as Miracle Drug and Crumbs with its chiming 80's guitar, sound like they have been done before. But just cos I love their 80's music doesn't mean they have to sound like there recording the current album as if its a follow up to The Joshua Tree which it sounds like it is. Only Love and Peace Or Else sounds like its anything different from anything else on the new album.

Ok. So let me get this straight. You are 12 right now. You registered for the forums when you were 10. You first became a fan in 1984 when you were -8.:eyebrow: :|

rjhbonovox said:
Yep I love their 80's music as well been a fan since I heard TUF in 1984

So, oh mysterious one, how old are you?

And really, if you have a problem with U2 sounding like U2, that's your problem and your loss. If you ask me, if there were more albums like Hut Dab and what U2 made in the eighties, the world would be a much better place.

rjhbonovox said:
Yeah tongue in cheek statement, I was called an irrational teenager that is why I said it.:huh:

Three times in this post you have misquoted someone else. I did not call you an irrational teenager. I said you were argueing like one. One is a comparison the other is a label. Its not that hard.

RJH here is a question - do you play any instruments? Are you musical? And to answer the sure to come whine, the answer is "No, you don't have to be musical to have an opinion."

I thought U2 had moved on from Sunday Bloody Sunday and carrying white flags but it seems not. It was cool in 1983 but not so cool now. Next thing you will see is Bono with a mullet.

Dalton said:

Three times in this post you have misquoted someone else. I did not call you an irrational teenager. I said you were argueing like one. One is a comparison the other is a label. Its not that hard.

RJH here is a question - do you play any instruments? Are you musical? And to answer the sure to come whine, the answer is "No, you don't have to be musical to have an opinion."

Yep I play the guitar.

rjhbonovox said:

Yep I play the guitar.

Great. Now we have a platform to go from.

I am curious to hear what you feel the band is doing MUSICALLY different from the albums you love and this latest album. Please be specific: chords, pedals, theory, etc.

Explain what it is that U2 did that was better than what they do now.

Ok
Edge sounds like he's back to the 80's again, nothing wrong with that here and there but its every bloody where(MD, ABY, CFYT, COBL, OOTS). What has happened to some of the wah wah influenced riffs that were superb on Achtung Baby. What has happened to him screwing around with his guitar sound, making different sounds like he did for POP, Mofo for example, Gone another example. Where has it all gone? has he chucked his wah wah pedal away? Has he just got out his echo memory man out again and thats that?

So in essence, you would prefer that U2 repeat the nineties rather than the eighties?

Axver said:
So in essence, you would prefer that U2 repeat the nineties rather than the eighties?

No not at all. Look what I'm getting at here is. I have been a fan of U2 since 1984. For me they were the only band to keep re-inventing, coming up with different sounds. Every album release up to the last album was exciting cos you never knew the sounds they would be bringing to the songs. It just seems to me they have lost there nerve and are not pushing that hard anymore. In there quest to be the biggest band in the world they have sacrificed there music. This is the first album I can remember from U2 where all 11 tracks could easily be singles. Maybe the last one as well except for New York. This is all very well if you want to get more casual fans aboard by getting played on radio1 etc, but 11 songs on an album that all have singalonga choruses, apart from the excellent Love and Peace or Else, can get a bit boring to say the least. Also, while the album is ok and the last album was ok, I expect more from the band I grew up with. No one here is going to tell me that U2 used to repeat chorus lines and lyrics like this in there previous albums. ABOY gets irritating with its repeated same line, COBL a good song up to the point where Bono has to keep singing Oh you look so beautiful tonight 3 times in a row. Vertigo is another with the same chorus repeated 3 times, I get fed up of hearing him sing "Hello, Hello". I think some of these songs could have been corkers if they just hadn't pushed the choruses down our throats all the time.

rjhbonovox said:
COBL a good song up to the point where Bono has to keep singing Oh you look so beautiful tonight 3 times in a row
That's my favorite part of the song. :tongue:

Seems to me U2's never done something they did before. And HTDAAB isn't really much more 80's than 90's. At least, when you hear it on the radio after other 21st century songs you don't think, 'Wait, when did we go back to the 80's?' Well, I don't. :shrug:

Axver said:

So, oh mysterious one, how old are you?

And really, if you have a problem with U2 sounding like U2, that's your problem and your loss.

"U2 sounding like U2" is the less intelligent U2 remark ever. And the most used by "80's fans".

So U2 wasn't U2 during the 90's... Cause they are very less in the 90's about "chime guitar", screaming vocals, "honesty", "integrity", bla bla bla. And because they were actually more inventive and unafraid to be inventive and creative...

rjhbonovox said:

This is the first album I can remember from U2 where all 11 tracks could easily be singles. Maybe the last one as well except for New York.

Well, here we go again. Oh well, I'll humor you.

1. The Joshua Tree

2. Achtung Baby

3. POP

Those are three album which nearly every song from them could have been a single. Christ, POP almost DID release every song as a single! Add in ATYCLB and your "HTDAAB is an album of singles, blah blah blah...." response is rubbish. Enough said.

Back
Top Bottom