Commentary on the various recent polls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
"The Agenda" is to take How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb around the back for a right beating.

Exactly.

And the multiple polls, all involving HTDAAB, allowed for tons of it.

MrBrau1 said:

Exactly.

And the multiple polls, all involving HTDAAB, allowed for tons of it.

Except that the Bomb has won half of them, or really all of them aside from the obvious 'no chances' of Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree and what (to me) was the surprise of The Unforgettable Fire.

WildHoneyAlways said:
And people are taking this personally why??

I'm not taking it personally. I participated in these polls, and simply noticed a pattern. If writing funny and bad things about HTDAAB in 8 different polls over 3 days gets them off, let them get off.

MrBrau1 said:

If writing funny and bad things about HTDAAB in 8 different polls over 3 days gets them off, let them get off.

Okkkayyy... so what's the problem, then? If you're gonna just let these people get off, then let them continue making polls. Why are you protesting? Doesn't make sense.

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

Okkkayyy... so what's the problem, then? If you're gonna just let these people get off, then let them continue making polls. Why are you protesting? Doesn't make sense.

If you will read my previous posts, you will see, I never said the polls needed to be stopped.

Sticking with this thread's subject, I've provided my own commentary. I simply noted a trend in the polls, which was to bash HTDAAB, and that the polls seemed created for that very purpose.

MrBrau1 said:

If you will read my previous posts, you will see, I never said the polls needed to be stopped.

Sticking with this thread's subject, I've provided my own commentary. I simply noted a trend in the polls, which was to bash HTDAAB, and that the polls seemed created for that very purpose.

The trend you speak of is non-existant.

Well... :sigh:

As far as I can tell... on one hand... the polls were created on Earnie Shavers' prodding of comparing the 80s albums (for a change) to the 00s ones instead of always dragging the 90s in. This I support totally because it sucks that most of the time it's the 90s fans that are called 'current U2 haters'! which is not true!

On the other hand, namkcuR's poll for JT vs. Bomb was definitely biased from the get go. :( The line 'Vote for the Tree. Just do it!' shows that the agenda was to beat the shit out of HTDAAB at the slightest chance available. :lol: :|

Sooooo..........................everybody kiss and make up. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
On the other hand, namkcuR's poll for JT vs. Bomb was definitely biased from the get go. :( The line 'Vote for the Tree. Just do it!' shows that the agenda was to beat the shit out of HTDAAB at the slightest chance available. :lol: :|

There was no agenda! I was just having some fun with that line!

namkcuR said:

There was no agenda! I was just having some fun with that line!

Okay... let's assume for a second, shall we, that somebody makes a poll for Pop vs. HTDAAB and adds the line 'Vote for HTDAAB already. Just do it!' Then they follow it up with a post describing how U2 had really fallen to the darkest of depths in the 90s and had become a shadow of their former selves.. blah blah blah and then they go on to praise the last 2 albums as the glimmer of hope that saved them from certain death or obscurity whichever came first...... would you be quiet? :wink:

Suddenly I feel like that referee who's on the verge of getting beaten up by players from both teams! :(

:sigh: I thought the "Vote for the Tree. Just do it" line was totally tongue-in-cheek and meant to be funny, not to offend anyone :huh:

I kind of enjoy the polls, it's interesting to see how the lurkers vote :wink:

indra said:
which is fine. But even if you don't like them, you should show some respect for those who do and just not read or post in them. Is it really that hard to allow other people to enjoy things you don't?

maybe he's enjoying stating his opinion here in this thread. and even if you don't like it, why don't you show some respect and just not read his opinion or post back at him? is it really so hard to just let him enjoy posting his opinion even if you don't enjoy it?

amerrydeath said:
:sigh: I thought the "Vote for the Tree. Just do it" line was totally tongue-in-cheek and meant to be funny, not to offend anyone :huh:

I kind of enjoy the polls, it's interesting to see how the lurkers vote :wink:

Thank you! Tongue-in-cheek is exactly what it was!!

MrBrau1 said:
I simply noted a trend in the polls, which was to bash HTDAAB, and that the polls seemed created for that very purpose.

That impression is largely in your own head. Are we now saying that including HTDAAB in a poll option constitutes 'bashing' it? Why should HTDAAB be given some kind of special exemption? Maybe someone was just interested in seeing how the fanbase rated HTDAAB compared to some of the older albums. Seems a reasonable enough objective given that it's the most recent album.

financeguy said:

That impression is largely in your own head. Are we now saying that including HTDAAB in a poll option constitutes 'bashing' it? Why should HTDAAB be given some kind of special exemption? Maybe someone was just interested in seeing how the fanbase rated HTDAAB compared to some of the older albums. Seems a reasonable enough objective given that it's the most recent album.

No, my impression is correct. And I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

MrBrau1 said:

OK in future HTDAAB will be exempted from all polls, it's in a unique category of its own and it would be wrong to expose it to the vulgarity of competition. :up:

MrBrau1 said:

For starters I seem to remember:

"Vote for the Tree. Just do it."

"Vote For The Fire. Just Do It."

and that was from the originator of the poll. :huh:

roy said:
For starters I seem to remember:

"Vote for the Tree. Just do it."

"Vote For The Fire. Just Do It."

and that was from the originator of the poll. :huh:

Wow. Some of you people are hypersensitive. Maybe you should set up your own forum. It will be exclusively devoted to HTDAAB worship, and any heretics will be banned. A special prize could be awarded for the most fervent and devout worshipper of HTDAAB.

But anyway Joshua Tree and UF are clearly better than HTDAAB. Sorry but they just are.

financeguy said:

OK in future HTDAAB will be exempted from all polls, it's in a unique category of its own and it would be wrong to expose it to the vulgarity of competition. :up:

I feel like bashing Pop.

I could simply start a thread bashing Pop, but that thread would most likely get closed due to arguements and flame wars.

Or, I could start 8 polls, all involving Pop. Then I'll have 8 chances to rag on a record, all the while quickly moving on the the next poll, where I say the same negative thing.

financeguy said:

But anyway Joshua Tree and UF are clearly better than HTDAAB. Sorry but they just are.

financeguy, this statement makes the entire point you've been trying to make in here invalid.

i agree with brau, these polls were all spawned after the bomb was beating zooropa, people couldn't handle it and needed to see bomb lose to put down bomb. i really don't get it. it's not like other polls like pop vs. unforgettable fire had been put up, or all that you cant leave behind vs rattle and hum- everything involved bomb and just tried to make it lose as much as possible.

This is really getting pretty silly so I don't think I'll bother debating this one any more.

U2Man said:
financeguy, this statement makes the entire point you've been trying to make in here invalid.

That is a fair point. I am just getting frustated with the people in this thread who want to drag up old debates and see conspiracies where there aren't any.

bonosgirl84 said:

maybe he's enjoying stating his opinion here in this thread. and even if you don't like it, why don't you show some respect and just not read his opinion or post back at him? is it really so hard to just let him enjoy posting his opinion even if you don't enjoy it?

:huh:

Does this mean BonoVox should show some respect and not post in this thread either? If he didn't like what someone else did, does that mean he shouldn't bother reading it or posting back?

Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom