Coming to accept that U2 is an aging rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
Apologies for the title of the thread.

I've been thinking lately about how I've been troubled recently with U2. I wouldn't be here if I didn't adore them - they were my first musical love, the reason I got into guitar and effects pedals, and a musical gateway to countless other artists.

I'm just having trouble lately accepting that fact that, yes, they are aging rock stars. They're going to have more and more Best Of compilations, not everything the band does or releases will be so carefully and tactfully thought out as we're used to, and, well that just bugs me.

When I put it in perspective, though, we're horribly spoiled as U2 fans compared to fans of a lot of other bands. They've always been conscious of how their fans perceive them, they've been slick, they've been daring, and they've been experimental.

It's just hard to see them as being complacent, but as time moves on things are slowing down and it's hard to accept. Anyone else struggling with this?

grumpypopcorn.gif

Although I feel the same way, I think they still have some brilliant work left in them. I think they just need to get through this current phase they are going through and start dreaming it all up again.

Yes, U2 to me is like an aging athlete (a Brett Farve for instance.) They have their moments but as a whole they lack the patience or ability to create the kind of music that could even be considered an average U2 song or album. The passion is there but as they get older the commitment isn't.
I think anyone who isn't seeing the band as an aging entity is fooling themselves. The band progressed and became more daring on every album until what the band saw as the failure of Pop. Since then, the band has stopped trying to improve on their albums. U2 doesn't have that fire anymore. I'm sure people are going to passionately disagree with that but you can't honestly believe that the band has been writing a lot of creative music in this decade. ATYCLB and Bomb are embarrassing steps backwards. Fans need to realize that they don't have the youth to change their current direction. Canadiens brings up something that should be apparent in every fan's mind.

Hoodlem said:
Although I feel the same way, I think they still have some brilliant work left in them. I think they just need to get through this current phase they are going through and start dreaming it all up again.

:yes:

I think there still is brilliant stuff in them. The thing that we need to realize is that it's not going to be War or ZooTV---it's not going to be the fire of a 23-year-old or the musings of a 30-year-old. Honestly, I think they have the potential to age the most perfectly of any rock band yet.

Last edited:
You don't think they carefully and tactfully thought out their recent releases? Some of us (not me) may not have liked the results of Bomb, but the band certainly did and there was a definite effort to put out a great record by them, hence why it took so long. I hardly see them just throwing stuff together and releasing it just to get a new record out, especially at this point in their careers.

at least with their greatest hits compilations they give people extras like b side albums, a DVD of part of a concert and an alternate version of the best of that has the actual music videos of the songs.

To me U2 of now feels like the stones of the later 70's..

I will only get tired of U2 when they reach the stones of the 80's era.

Canadiens1160 said:
They're going to have more and more Best Of compilations,

I'm not sure why this is even an issue in here. We knew they signed a deal for three back in what 97? Why is it now suck a whining issue?:huh:

you know, we're all aging. Perhaps the problem for some fans is they can't let go of the "old" u2. Maybe it is they who are stuck, and not progressing. Not saying that's the case mind you, but it's a possibility.
I agree U2's music has changed. I'm guessing to keep relevant, it must.
Brilliant means different things at different ages. I'm happy to keep up with U2. They still take me on trips to far away places.

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:
I think anyone who isn't seeing the band as an aging entity is fooling themselves. The band progressed and became more daring on every album until what the band saw as the failure of Pop. Since then, the band has stopped trying to improve on their albums.
what a load of hooplah
so Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were more daring then The Unforgettable Fire?
and POP is more daring than Zooropa?

and then somehow you imply that trying to improve = being more daring?

all I agree with is that they're aging
as we all do from the moment we're conceived

also, i don't think it's that bad that the first "best of" came out 20 years into their career.. and the 3 that have been released were spread out over ten years anyway..

Screwtape2 said:
The band progressed and became more daring on every album until what the band saw as the failure of Pop. Since then, the band has stopped trying to improve on their albums. U2 doesn't have that fire anymore. I'm sure people are going to passionately disagree with that but you can't honestly believe that the band has been writing a lot of creative music in this decade. ATYCLB and Bomb are embarrassing steps backwards.

"an embarrassing step backwards", to what. If you feel their past is the best and the 00's is non creative... sorry just not sure what is being said here.

anyway, as much as I like BOMB and ATYCLB, I'm still hoping Bono will find that "special" spark that starts the fire's for the next album.

I've known this for awhile now and don't care anymore. NO band is as good old as they were young. The firey angry young man is much better at writing than the fat happy rich old man. It's not just U2 it happens to them all. Even Beatles, Stones, Zep, you name it. Old age sets in and the quality drops. It's not rude, it's a part of nature.

Screwtape2 said:
Yes, U2 to me is like an aging athlete (a Brett Farve for instance.)

Brett Farve? Do you mean Brett Favre? Honestly i cannot compare u2 to Brett.....u2 thinks football is a little round ball you kick around with your feet. Favre is a gunslinger who ( when he isnt throwing interceptions that dismantle his team like atomic bombs ) throws the pigskin 300+ yards in a game.

wait. i did just make a comparison didnt i? :wink:

I don't necessarily think they're output has been bad in their later years. I became a fan of them because of ATYCLB and do consider it a third masterpiece. U2 is still "current" in music and has their new songs played on radio. Can't say that about the Stones (and Aerosmith to a lesser extent).

I agree with the comment about greatest hits albums. I think every act puts out a GH album every five years or so nowadays. Aerosmith is especially guilty of this.

JCOSTER said:
:rolleyes: everyone is entitled to their opinions, but Canadiens you know I disagree with you totally.:|
I know, but disagreements are the blue goop that bind us all. :heart:

Screwtape2 said:
I'm sure people are going to passionately disagree with that but you can't honestly believe that the band has been writing a lot of creative music in this decade. ATYCLB and Bomb are embarrassing steps backwards. Fans need to realize that they don't have the youth to change their current direction. Canadiens brings up something that should be apparent in every fan's mind.

They've been writing songs for the past 6 years.

The fact songwriting isn't creative in your eyes says more about you, than it does U2.

U2Kitten said:
I've known this for awhile now and don't care anymore. NO band is as good old as they were young. The firey angry young man is much better at writing than the fat happy rich old man. It's not just U2 it happens to them all. Even Beatles, Stones, Zep, you name it. Old age sets in and the quality drops. It's not rude, it's a part of nature.

well said:sad:

U2Kitten said:

That's a load of shit.

Some of my favorite artists are well on in their career and making the best stuff they've ever done. Youth and fire are wonderful. But so is wisdom and experience. The art of songwriting and making music is not a young persons game.

It's everyones game.

MrBrau1 said:

That's a load of shit.

Some of my favorite artists are well on in their career and making the best stuff they've ever done. Youth and fire are wonderful. But so is wisdom and experience. The art of songwriting and making music is not a young persons game.

It's everyones game.

no need for :silent: but I do agree with you Mr. B!!!

Re: Re: Coming to accept that U2 is an aging rock band

martha said:

Yeah, a little. As long as they don't become a nostagia act, I'll still be happy.

This pretty much sums things up for me. Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the last two albums, but knowing they are getting older makes me a little sad knowing their output will grow fewer and further between, and that the quality may become a bit less than what we as fans expect. But the fact is, they are still writing damn good stuff (Mercy, and Original of the Species as two personal examples) and are out there and influence every young band coming up. That says something to me, that they aren't quite ready to lay down yet.

We probably have a lot of kickass stuff from those guys yet to come.

Val said:
you know, we're all aging. Perhaps the problem for some fans is they can't let go of the "old" u2. Maybe it is they who are stuck, and not progressing. Not saying that's the case mind you, but it's a possibility.
I agree U2's music has changed. I'm guessing to keep relevant, it must.
Brilliant means different things at different ages. I'm happy to keep up with U2. They still take me on trips to far away places.

:yes: Totally agree with this. As someone who has literally grown up with U2 being my favorite band since age 15, I appreciate the fact that for the past 20 years, I have aged along with them. In fact, I find their music of today (dealing with death of loved ones, spirtuality, children growing up, etc) much more relevant to my life than the earlier albums were to my teenage life. Yes, I understand they are an aging rock band, but to me, they are like a fine wine, getting better with age!:heart:

MrBrau1 said:

It's everyones game.

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom