Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay I don't mean to keep going on about this song but I've been thinking about it.

Reasons why I like it

- the lyrics are good for the most part despite the cliched theme

- the music is nice... okay I like christmas-y music :reject: :wink:

- it's political U2, something you don't see much these days and is refreshing

- Bono's vocal delivery is great! This is my favorite part. He sounds like the humble Bono of the 90s (or the Bono of Pop). Doesn't come off as trying too hard to fit in with the kids of this generation.

Reasons why people generally seem to hate it

- You can't really even hear the Edge much let alone make out any solos

- Larry's drumming is almost the same throughout, nothing interesting

- Can't hear much of Adam either, am I right?

Yeah, this is pretty much Bono gone solo. haha

I still like it. :ohmy:

I like Peace on Earth. It reeks of Brian Eno at the helm as far as the atmospherics go, and Bono upchucks some decent lyrics so +++ full speed ahead cap'n

I used to hate this song...but now I love it:drool:

I love this part

Jesus, can you take the time
To throw a drowning man a line?
Peace on Earth
To tell the ones who hear no sound
Whose sons are living in the ground
Peace on Earth

great song...on an awesome album :drool:

i like it when people have the nerves to come out and appreciate something that you're not allowed to like around these parts.

peace on earth :up:

its a meh song for me, and no its not because i dont understand it and its not because its slow.

if you didnt know the name of the song before you listened to it, youd sure know it after you listened to it

To me, it's not just Peace On Earth. Just about all of ATYCLB is Bono-centric in that, to me, it's really a poet's album. Elevation, perhaps, has the shallowest lyrics; but the remainder of the songs are Bono's dive into poetry. You can fully imagine New York being recited by some skinny dude all in black at a beat-poet cafe's Open Mic Night. Even the much-maligned Wild Honey is a little love poem.

Sure, most songs in general can be seen as poetry. But for this one, it seems to me like it was intended that way a little more so than others. Yeah, Edge uses delay now and then; yeah, the songs aren't overtly dark (though the second half can feel that way if you let it); but I'll never buy the argument that U2 were retracing their steps with this album. It's entirely something that they hadn't done before----it's their Open Mic Night album. :wink: Peace On Earth, as you've noted, is a case in point.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Talk about your revisionist history...

:scratch:

What are you saying here? that he wasn't humble on Pop? I think he was.

Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

Zootlesque said:

:scratch:

What are you saying here? that he wasn't humble on Pop? I think he was.

Well it depends on what you mean by "humble". I think Bono does have great moments of humility but overall Pop was not one of them...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well it depends on what you mean by "humble". I think Bono does have great moments of humility but overall Pop was not one of them...

Just take a look at the lyrics of songs like Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, The Playboy Mansion, Please, Wake Up Dead Man etc. They range from introspective to cynical to philosophical to desperate and pleading. I see a lot of humility in those songs and even videos from Pop (Please for example). As opposed to doing a jesus christ post and showing his chest in the Vertigo video. :| as if he is the rock n roll messiah of the biggest band in the world. lol.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

Zootlesque said:

as if he is the rock n roll messiah of the biggest band in the world. lol.

He's not? :scratch:

:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

Zootlesque said:

Just take a look at the lyrics of songs like Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Staring At The Sun, The Playboy Mansion, Please, Wake Up Dead Man etc. They range from introspective to cynical to philosophical to desperate and pleading. I see a lot of humility in those songs and even videos from Pop (Please for example). As opposed to doing a jesus christ post and showing his chest in the Vertigo video. :| as if he is the rock n roll messiah of the biggest band in the world. lol.

I can say the same about songs like New York, Kite, IALW, WILATW, Sometimes, Crumbs, Yaweh. Mortality, cynicism, reaching out, weakness...

Take a look at tourwise, hands down far more humility now than during Popmart.

I can't say the Bono's ever been really humble...but I think that Zooropa has more humble Bono than Pop. However, MOFO and Do You Feel Loved are humble sounding Bono...but no so more than say Yahweh or Stuck In A Moment.

If you look back at the 90's, Bono was more loquacious and ironic...but not so much humble.

For every Pop song that you can consider humble I can name you one from each of that last two albums that are just as humble. That said Zoot, I do understand your point.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Take a look at tourwise, hands down far more humility now than during Popmart.

Well.... Elevation was I guess more humble than Popmart. But Vertigo I'm not sure.

I don't know. The expressions he makes these days and the mannerisms on stage etc. (esp. on the Chicago dvd) rub me the wrong way. Maybe it's just me. :huh:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

Zootlesque said:

Well.... Elevation was I guess more humble than Popmart. But Vertigo I'm not sure.

Maybe you should watch Popmart again. It's a rock ego at it's best.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it, Peace On Earth is almost Bono solo!!!

Zootlesque said:

I don't know. The expressions he makes these days and the mannerisms on stage etc. (esp. on the Chicago dvd) rub me the wrong way. Maybe it's just me. :huh:

:coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom