Coldplay X&Y: The Verdict; Should U2 be worried?...NO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleblackeye

War Child
On first listen, it sounds intriguing: the Edge-like guitars, the soaring choruses, etc. but repeated listens reveals the huge cracks: the extremely banal and cliche ridden lyrics (as deep and original as 5th grade poetry - how can they be this bad?), the repetitive nature of the arrangements (every song with heavy synths, falsetto, and guitar ripped off from The Edge).

It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Coldplay might sell more albums than this U2 this year, and be the critics' darlings, but, from an artistic standpoint, they will never reach U2.

By the third album, U2 were writing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, etc.

Martin is writing songs like "Fix You," with shit lyrics as follows:(this is not even the worst of it actually):

when you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
stuck in reverse

and the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
and i will try to fix you

high up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but if you'll never try, you'll never know
just what you're worth

lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
and i will try to fix you

So, Bono, don't worry....your band's crown will not be taken away by the likes of Martin. Not with the crap he is writing.

purpleblackeye said:
It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Yep, you won't find me disagreeing with any of that.

There's nothing wrong with mellow music, but when I'm in the mood for something mellow, I'd far rather listen to the likes of the Carpenters or ABBA than Coldplay. Plus their lyrics were a lot better, IMO.

typhoon said:
The air is heavy
Heavy as a truck

Thread over.

the funny thing is that even this makes Bono a poet laureate next to Martin.

seriously, you have to read some of the lyrics. just laughable

purpleblackeye said:

the funny thing is that even this makes Bono a poet laureate next to Martin.

seriously, you have to read some of the lyrics. just laughable

nope. personal attack removed. read the FAQ. -neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
t8thgr8 said:

you're a douchebag.

why? because i simply stated my opinion. if you don't like it, write a dissenting opinion.....don't resort to stupid personal attacks.

I think i'm gonna go into hiding for a few wks, as it seems I can't go anywhere without seeing COLDPLAY written everywhere!!!:mad:

I reckon when I go for a shit tonight, i'm gonna get the toilet roll, and find the word 'Andrex' has been replaced with 'XnY' or 'Fix You'!!!

first, this thread is great because the word "douchebag" has been used.

second, i am enjoying one of the best pizza pies i've had in a while.

third, why would U2 be worried about another band having success? think of how many fads have come and gone in the 25+ years U2 has been playing.

Aardvark747 said:
I think i'm gonna go into hiding for a few wks, as it seems I can't go anywhere without seeing COLDPLAY written everywhere!!!:mad:

I think I might too. :| I'm sick and tired of seeing bucket loads of people either getting fangirly over Coldplay or pissing all over them. And I'm bloody tired of all the U2/Coldplay comparisons! We all know that, despite being an okay band, Coldplay are following the "How To Be U2" manual closely and are trying very hard to attain the same kind star power, but ultimately won't. And if you don't know that, just hope on over to Bang & Clatter. :| There's loads of threads in there discussing it as well.

just to warn everyone, when Pearl Jam releases their new album, i will start at least 10 threads.:wink:

GibsonGirl said:

I think I might too. :| I'm sick and tired of seeing bucket loads of people either getting fangirly over Coldplay or pissing all over them. And I'm bloody tired of all the U2/Coldplay comparisons! We all know that, despite being an okay band, Coldplay are following the "How To Be U2" manual closely and are trying very hard to attain the same kind star power, but ultimately won't. And if you don't know that, just hope on over to Bang & Clatter. :| There's loads of threads in there discussing it as well.

If you want some more coldplay go to Just bang and clatter :wink:

mikal said:
first, this thread is great because the word "douchebag" has been used.

second, i am enjoying one of the best pizza pies i've had in a while.

third, why would U2 be worried about another band having success? think of how many fads have come and gone in the 25+ years U2 has been playing.

i agree with mikal. douchebag is a funny word. did you know douche means shower in french? hahaha

i love it when jon stewart calls robert novak a douche(bag).

while i cannot claim to be eating any pizza pie, i am eating M&Ms. they are red white and blue for the fourth of july, and that of course makes them extra tasty.:tongue:

oh, coldplay? i like yellow. dont really like their other stuff, so i dont listen to it. :shrug:

VertigoGal said:

i agree with mikal. douchebag is a funny word. did you know douche means shower in french? hahaha

i love it when jon stewart calls robert novak a douche(bag).

while i cannot claim to be eating any pizza pie, i am eating M&Ms. they are red white and blue for the fourth of july, and that of course makes them extra tasty.:tongue:

oh, coldplay? i like yellow. dont really like their other stuff, so i dont listen to it. :shrug:

this may be the most excellent post i've seen all day.:drool:

purpleblackeye please post your review in one of the active Coldplay threads in Bang and Clutter, this one looks like it might be good. :wave:

I would have merged this one with it but since it's already gone way OT, I think it wouldn't be best. :slant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom