Coldplay and Billy Corgan on U2 in EW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bsp77 said:
They said that Coldplay will never overtake U2 as the biggest band because U2 makes sweeping songs about sweeping things, while Coldplay makes sweeping songs about essentially nothing.

Brilliant!

bsp77 said:
I like Speed of Sound and love Coldplay, but, let's face it, Speed of Sound is Clocks II, which actually makes it The Unforgettable Fire III.

Also, All Music Guide wrote a review of the new album which was dead on about Coldplay, but they have now removed it. :scratch: But it basically said that the album was very good but that they have reached somewhat of a dead end, primarily due to repetition and Martin's lyrics. They said that Coldplay will never overtake U2 as the biggest band because U2 makes sweeping songs about sweeping things, while Coldplay makes sweeping songs about essentially nothing.

Well thank god some of us dont give a crap about which band is the biggest in the world.

U2 sound like U2, and Coldplay sound like Coldplay. Sure maybe we could continue the arguement that Coldplay have some U2 inspired guitar parts, but so what ??. U2 havn´t exactly reinvented the wheel lately.

Not to get too off topic, but Coldplay will never reach the heights of U2, partly because of the way the music industry operates now, and because they are simply not good enough. Has anyone realized how incredibly bad Chris Martin's lyrics are? So cliche-ridden and corny. They have the atmospherics down...they just need a better songwriter.

bsp77 said:
I like Speed of Sound and love Coldplay, but, let's face it, Speed of Sound is Clocks II, which actually makes it The Unforgettable Fire III.

Also, All Music Guide wrote a review of the new album which was dead on about Coldplay, but they have now removed it. :scratch: But it basically said that the album was very good but that they have reached somewhat of a dead end, primarily due to repetition and Martin's lyrics. They said that Coldplay will never overtake U2 as the biggest band because U2 makes sweeping songs about sweeping things, while Coldplay makes sweeping songs about essentially nothing.

Yeah, I read the review. They took it down?? :eyebrow: I am curious to hear X&Y after it is essentially being hailed as Coldplay's answer to the joshua tree. I really don't expect to be blown away, though. They have good songs, but are no U2 or Radiohead.

Back
Top Bottom