COBL percussion defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
I know that many people have criticized City of Blinding Lights for the percussion seemingly taking a back seat in the mix.

Maybe, just maybe, it was meant to be that way.

I found this in my music appreciation book:

"Weak beat--Some music has a weak beat, creating a feeling of floating, drifting, or gliding, as in Claude Debussy's 'Afternoon of a Faun."

or, as in COBL.

"I'm getting ready to leave the ground"

Anyways, this has helped me to appreciate COBL's mix even more.

You are defending something that has no defense.

Last edited:
The bass guitar is finally starting to stand out during the oh, you look so beautiful tonight parts and I'm really digging it. Still not my favorite, but I don't think it's bad at all.

U2_Guy said:

Correction: defending something that needs no defense.

There's nothing wrong with COBL. 5th best song U2 has ever made.

U2_Guy said:

hmm. What are you talking about?

I just defended it, so it obviously has a defense.

Could you please expound on what you mean?

Axver said:

Correction: defending something that needs no defense.

There's nothing wrong with COBL. 5th best song U2 has ever made.

Wow what a grand statement. Wouldn't even get in my top 50 U2 songs. What are the other four?

U2_Guy and rjhbonovox (and a couple others who have not posted yet in this thread) - can you ever hear an opposing statement without being asses about it? Yes, mods, I know, that is a personal attack. I give myself a warning. Their constant badgering is just getting very old.

I think the floating statement makes sense. Compare that to Sunday Bloody Sunday, which sounds very grounded with its drums as a lead instrument.

rjhbonovox said:

Wow what a grand statement. Wouldn't even get in my top 50 U2 songs. What are the other four?

1. Streets
2. Bad
3. UF
4. OTH
5. COBL
6. NYD
7. Heartland
8. Gone
9. Acrobat

COBL is like the perfect mix of the sweeping nature of UF and Streets with the anthemic-ness of Pride.

FullonEdge2 said:
I know that many people have criticized City of Blinding Lights for the percussion seemingly taking a back seat in the mix.

Maybe, just maybe, it was meant to be that way.

I found this in my music appreciation book:

"Weak beat--Some music has a weak beat, creating a feeling of floating, drifting, or gliding, as in Claude Debussy's 'Afternoon of a Faun."

or, as in COBL.

"I'm getting ready to leave the ground"

Anyways, this has helped me to appreciate COBL's mix even more.

I understand what you mean, and it makes sense to me. There is a certain air of detchment about that song - a surrealism.

If COBL was the only song that mixed the drums real low, i'd be willing to agree...but, man, MD has the same problem...OOTS also. Vertigo drums are the strongest...but the album overall sure is quick to bury Larry (it seems).

bsp77 said:
U2_Guy and rjhbonovox (and a couple others who have not posted yet in this thread) - can you ever hear an opposing statement without being asses about it? Yes, mods, I know, that is a personal attack. I give myself a warning. Their constant badgering is just getting very old.

Another TW#T who can't say anything other than having personal attack on me! So I say in response BOLLOX!!!!!!

Axver said:

1. Streets
2. Bad
3. UF
4. OTH
5. COBL
6. NYD
7. Heartland
8. Gone
9. Acrobat

COBL is like the perfect mix of the sweeping nature of UF and Streets with the anthemic-ness of Pride.

Yeah I love all them songs but the only two that don't belong in there, for me, are Heartland and COBL. All the others are classics. I take it that OTH is One Tree Hill, the version that is on the best of 80-90 video, the Rattle & Hum outtake, is AWESOME!

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah I love all them songs but the only two that don't belong in there, for me, are Heartland and COBL. All the others are classics. I take it that OTH is One Tree Hill, the version that is on the best of 80-90 video, the Rattle & Hum outtake, is AWESOME!

Clearly, you have different tastes to me, as I think COBL is the best song U2 have made since Heartland - I find Heartland to be stunningly beautiful.

OTH is indeed One Tree Hill - not sure which performance is on the Out-takes, but the 26 December 1989 performance is astounding. I think it's the best live performance of any song by any band ever.

Just wait until the world hears City of Blinding Lights in all its glory during the Vertigo Tour. This song is going to be the best live songs form the whole album. It's clearly the Streets of Atomic Bomb.

Lancemc said:
Just wait until the world hears City of Blinding Lights in all its glory during the Vertigo Tour. This song is going to be the best live songs form the whole album. It's clearly the Streets of Atomic Bomb.

:yes: It's going to be astounding, that's for sure.

rjhbonovox said:

Another TW#T who can't say anything other than having personal attack on me! So I say in response BOLLOX!!!!!!

actually, he made a valid point about your attitude. the fact that you immediately became defensive by calling him a "twat"(oops. sorry. "TW#T") doesn't really help your case.

back on topic, i actually like the mix. being in a band, and just going through the mixing process, i can attest to wanting the drum mix to be more or less prominant depending on what we want the feel of the song to be.

bsp77 said:

Vai se fuder seu corno.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:
There's a problem with the drums?

yeah, everybody's being a whiny bitch because the drums on the studio recording are mixed lower than the live mix from the BBC, where just about all of us heard it first. I guess most people here don't realize that on a studio recording the drums are generally mixed lower than on a live session anyways, but also people still haven't realized U2 does this all the time to maximize the live performance aspect. listen to these songs back to back with their studio vs. live performances:
beutiful day
streets
walk on
with or without you
new york
the fly
mysterious ways
etc. etc.
all of the studio versions have the drums mixed lower than the live versions.
why eveyone is so bunched up about this is beyond me; it's a great songs even if there were no drums.

Back
Top Bottom