COBL percussion defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
StlElevation said:
it actually has some of my favorite percussion from the whole album.

yeah, I really like it. There definitely is the feeling of floating and surrealism with that drumming.

and yikes! What happened to this thread?

Who gives a crap, the studio versions of SBS, Exit and more are shite, doesn't mean I'm gonna castrate Steve Lillywhite or poke Lanois in the eye with a crayon..Jeez

you can't defend the mixing of City of Blinding Light (pease note i haven't said the song that's very good indeed)...we should hear the drums in the intro loud and clear over the volume of other instruments as we hear in WTSHNN: the mixing killed the dynamic of COBL.

Last edited:
Dima said:
you can't defend the mixing of City of Blinding Light (pease note i haven't said the song that's very good indeed)...we should hear the drums in the intro loud and clear over the volume of other instruments as we hear in WTSHNN: the mixing killed the dynamic of COBL.

I can't really hear any difference between the drum volume in WTSHNN and COBL, to be quite honest. They're about the same to me. It's not exactly like I'm straining my ears to hear Larry. :shrug:

And I really can't understand why some people are making such a big deal over this. The drums sound FINE to me. The mixing sounds FINE to me. The song is brilliant. Goodness me, get a grip and clean the wax out of your ears, people.

The only reason I can think of why Larry would sound dimished is that Adam sounds so awesome.

COBL is a top 5 all-time U2 song for me too.

deltau922 said:
The only reason I can think of why Larry would sound dimished is that Adam sounds so awesome.

COBL is a top 5 all-time U2 song for me too.

Mmmm I think I can think of at least 50 U2 songs that are better than city of blanding lights. It is nowhere near a top 5 song, and has one of the worst lyrics of a U2 song ever "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" and "the more you see the less you know" rubbish which is nearly the same as the line in the "Last night on Earth" which WAS a great song by the way. And people on here don't think U2 are repeating themselves, even Bono's lyrics are starting to repeat.

I'd rather U2 repeat themselves than write more songs like Last Night on Earth. That song is crap.

Lancemc said:
I'd rather U2 repeat themselves than write more songs like Last Night on Earth. That song is crap.

Ahh damn man you have crap musical taste. That is a great song, in the middle of a great album. The Edge's riff is great in that song, listen to the album version and how its kinda disjointed in the intro and then they get into the song unlike some of the overproduced rubbish they are making now.

While POP is a great album, that song is just terrible. Howie B mutilated it. It's one of the worst produced songs I've ever heard. I can tell it IS a great song by how awesome it is live, but the album version is unlistenable. And you call the new album boring.

rjhbonovox said:

Ahh damn man you have crap musical taste. That is a great song, in the middle of a great album. The Edge's riff is great in that song, listen to the album version and how its kinda disjointed in the intro and then they get into the song unlike some of the overproduced rubbish they are making now.

just because you don't agree with someone's judgement doesn't mean that they have bad musical taste.

rjhbonovox said:

That comment wasn't very nice, rjbonovox. But I have to say, that we may be on the same boat here. Pop is a fantastic album. And Last Night, albeit the poor production, is great to sing along to... you gotta give it awayyyyyyy

Uh oh... do I smell another Pop war brewing?

unnamed_streets said:

That comment wasn't very nice, rjbonovox. But I have to say, that we may be on the same boat here. Pop is a fantastic album. And Last Night, albeit the poor production, is great to sing along to... you gotta give it awayyyyyyy

Uh oh... do I smell another Pop war brewing?

That's just RJ being RJ. LNOE is much better live. The album version never did anything for me. But they could play it live on every tour, and I'd love it.

mikal said:

just because you don't agree with someone's judgement doesn't mean that they have bad musical taste.

I'm entitled to have an opinion on his musical taste. In my opinion he has crap musical taste...is that better hehehe. Anyway I can not disagree more passionately with the comments since my oroginal comment. Last Night On Earth is fuc#ing awesome on the album, the single version was nowhere near as good. the live version was great also but not as good as the great album version. I love that fuc#ed up intro when the Edge comes in and sounds like he starts before anyone else realises whats going on. It beats the hell out of the plink plink plonk piano and the chiming coke riff overproduced mono sounding cobl ANYDAY!!!!!

rjhbonovox said:

I love that fuc#ed up intro when the Edge comes in and sounds like he starts before anyone else realises whats going on. It beats the hell out of the plink plink plonk piano and the chiming coke riff overproduced mono sounding cobl ANYDAY!!!!!

You just made me get up, grab my Pop CD and skip straight to song#6. :cool:

rjhbonovox said:

I'm entitled to have an opinion on his musical taste. In my opinion he has crap musical taste...is that better hehehe. Anyway I can not disagree more passionately with the comments since my oroginal comment. Last Night On Earth is fuc#ing awesome on the album, the single version was nowhere near as good. the live version was great also but not as good as the great album version. I love that fuc#ed up intro when the Edge comes in and sounds like he starts before anyone else realises whats going on. It beats the hell out of the plink plink plonk piano and the chiming coke riff overproduced mono sounding cobl ANYDAY!!!!!

This is how you play with RJ:

You're fucking nuts. You actually prefer the album version to the live? They liked the album version so much they changed the bridge and lead chorus vocal on the single version. U2 weren't even happy with it. And using LNOE to put down newer U2 records is ludicrous. It's the most "paint by numbers" U2 song on the whole record. You hate U2 for sounding like U2 on ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but you think it's brilliant on Pop?

Lancemc said:
You're a fucking ideot RJ. I think this thread has more than run its course.

Hey thats uncalled for, my opinions are excellent and you damn well know it!:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

This is how you play with RJ:

You're fucking nuts. You actually prefer the album version to the live? They liked the album version so much they changed the bridge and lead chorus vocal on the single version. U2 weren't even happy with it. And using LNOE to put down newer U2 records is ludicrous. It's the most "paint by numbers" U2 song on the whole record. You hate U2 for sounding like U2 on ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but you think it's brilliant on Pop?

This "even the band didn't like it". Jesus I hate these comments about Pop or anything to do with Pop. U2 of today maybe don't like it, cos all they seem interested in are making and selling as many records as they can. They have become the Bee Gees, sacrificing there musical integrity for the fast buck and high chart positions. The U2 of 1997 thought that Pop was great when they released it, and I don't care what they say today. I remember Bono saying back in 1997(when he was a pretty cool guy and not the politically obsessed attention seeker of today) that a lot of people don't get Pop but they will by the time the tour finishes. So I don't care what they say now about that album, they only changed their opinions cos the bloody record never sold in the USA who are only interested in coke riff filled flag waving stadium rock, which actually sums up the last two U2 albums!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

This "even the band didn't like it". Jesus I hate these comments about Pop or anything to do with Pop. U2 of today maybe don't like it, cos all they seem interested in are making and selling as many records as they can. They have become the Bee Gees, sacrificing there musical integrity for the fast buck and high chart positions. The U2 of 1997 thought that Pop was great when they released it, and I don't care what they say today. I remember Bono saying back in 1997(when he was a pretty cool guy and not the politically obsessed attention seeker of today) that a lot of people don't get Pop but they will by the time the tour finishes. So I don't care what they say now about that album, they only changed their opinions cos the bloody record never sold in the USA who are only interested in coke riff filled flag waving stadium rock, which actually sums up the last two U2 albums!:wink:

Yeah, U2 loved Pop so much back in 97 that Please, LNOE, and IGWSHA all had single remixes.

MrBrau1 said:

Yeah, U2 loved Pop so much back in 97 that Please, LNOE, and IGWSHA all had single remixes.

Yep and none except If god will send his angels are anywhere near as good as the originals. Anyway what about "Walk On" and "Elevation" from the last album, both remixed for singles and also remixed very badly especially in "Elevation's" case. Does this mean that the band hated finished ATYCLB songs as well. Hey hang on maybe the band think that ATYCLB wasn't finished thats why they remixed the songs, nahhhh ATYCLB sold millions in the USA, so it must have been finished, whereas Pop didn't sell so the band say it wasn't finished. All that unfinished rubbish about Pop is Bullshit!

rjhbonovox said:

Yep and none except If god will send his angels are anywhere near as good as the originals. Anyway what about "Walk On" and "Elevation" from the last album, both remixed for singles and also remixed very badly especially in "Elevation's" case. Does this mean that the band hated finished ATYCLB songs as well. Hey hang on maybe the band think that ATYCLB wasn't finished thats why they remixed the songs, nahhhh ATYCLB sold millions in the USA, so it must have been finished, whereas Pop didn't sell so the band say it wasn't finished. All that unfinished rubbish about Pop is Bullshit!

Bono has actually said ATYCLB wasn't as good as they'd have liked it to be. So has Steve Lillywhite. The second guessing is not specific to one record, but it's a band trait in general. There goes your arguement.

MrBrau1 said:

Bono has actually said ATYCLB wasn't as good as they'd have liked it to be. So has Steve Lillywhite. The second guessing is not specific to one record, but it's a band trait in general. There goes your arguement.

This is why, along with the music going downhill on the last 2 album, I have lost a lot of respect for U2 and Bono. It reminds me of when David Bowie said about his Let's Dance album of 1983 that he didn't like that album even when he was making it and solely made it for commercial gain, and he said this about 10 years later. But this is kinda the reverse of what U2 are saying now. They say this about Pop cos it didn't sell, plain and simple. Bowie says that about Lets Dance cos its not an album that is critically acclaimed so 10 years later says it didn't like that music anyway. Its all such bullshit!

I can't believe they apologised for Pop and remixed songs like Numb, Staring at the Sun, Discotheque and Gone. The remixes sucked ass!... esp Numb and Staring (which was pointless). I don't want to blame them too much because all said and done, it's a business. And Pop didn't sell... so too bad. The fans are to blame. :uhoh:

rjhbonovox said:

This is why, along with the music going downhill on the last 2 album, I have lost a lot of respect for U2 and Bono. It reminds me of when David Bowie said about his Let's Dance album of 1983 that he didn't like that album even when he was making it and solely made it for commercial gain, and he said this about 10 years later. But this is kinda the reverse of what U2 are saying now. They say this about Pop cos it didn't sell, plain and simple. Bowie says that about Lets Dance cos its not an album that is critically acclaimed so 10 years later says it didn't like that music anyway. Its all such bullshit!

So U2 badmoth Pop because it didn't sell well. And now they're badmouthing ATYCLB because it did sell well? Maybe U2 are their own toughest critic. You've got a funny brain.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

So U2 badmoth Pop because it didn't sell well. And now they're badmouthing ATYCLB because it did sell well? Maybe U2 are their own toughest critic. You've got a funny brain.:wink:

No, you said that they badmouthed ATYCLB., not me. I don't know if they did or not. But all I have heard is them making these comments about Pop was unfinished, over and over again. Thats what pisses me off, it's one of their best albums and yet cos it doesn't sell, it was not finished. It's bullshit talk.

rjhbonovox said:

No, you said that they badmouthed ATYCLB., not me. I don't know if they did or not. But all I have heard is them making these comments about Pop was unfinished, over and over again. Thats what pisses me off, it's one of their best albums and yet cos it doesn't sell, it was not finished. It's bullshit talk.

Well. They did. Maybe you shoud look into that, ya know, and have informed yourself. Unless you are calling me a liar?

Back
Top Bottom