COBL no. 31 in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given the fact that they haven't even bothered to put the single in Jewel Cases & the DVD copy I have seen, has got the tracklist completely obscured I'm not suprised.

I think mainstream people listen to COBL & think "Oh thats pleasant" and think nothing of it... where as the Stefani & Black Eyed Peas offerings are catchy, shallow but selling.

Also U2's complete ignorance of Australia over the past 8 years isn't helping them. If they had have come here for Elevation I gurantee these singles would be shooting a lot higher (as would the album for that matter).

People say the Brits have bad taste with the crazy frog. Well I'd say that crazy frog and black eyed peas are as bad as each other. Don't phunk with my heart is one of the worst songs ever made. And then we have that idol reject at #5. What is wrong with this country?

Sometimes peaked at #19 i think.
I reckon OOTS will do better but not by much.

Just remember that teenage girls are the only people still buying singles in Australia. They (singles) are pretty much irrelevant in this country. A #1 single in an average week is still selling virtually nothing (compared even to a few years ago).

Earnie Shavers said:
Just remember that teenage girls are the only people still buying singles in Australia. They (singles) are pretty much irrelevant in this country. A #1 single in an average week is still selling virtually nothing (compared even to a few years ago).

I think you are right on the teenager thing. But the girl thing i think it splits at about 60/40. But my thoughts are, the teenage market is where U2 can still pick up sales. And it would be a hell of a lot easier to move U2's music (HTDAAB, current single & back catalogue) if they actually ventured down here once or twice a decade to remind us they arent an american phenomonen.

Arcadion said:
Sometimes peaked at #19 i think.

I saw 17 somewhere. Not that it makes a huge difference. :reject:

Anyone know where Vertigo got up to in Australia?
That seemed to be the most popular with my crowd. (Who happen to be teenagers - We don't all listen to pea's and frogs :happy: )

Meghan said:

I saw 17 somewhere. Not that it makes a huge difference. :reject:

Anyone know where Vertigo got up to in Australia?
That seemed to be the most popular with my crowd. (Who happen to be teenagers - We don't all listen to pea's and frogs :happy: )

Vertigo did make the top 5 I'm pretty sure, but this was because U2 were "back" and the album wasnt out yet....once all the 'Pop kids' get the album, or download it, They probably can't be stuffed buying the singles, or rather spend money on the Backstreet Boys, Peas and Bloody annoyiong crazy frogs (How and why people would spend money on shit like the crazy frog is beyond me)

I confess not to have brought this yet...But i'm buying all 3 copies this week or next.

Aardvark747 said:
What an awful chart u guys have there!:wink:

Nearly as bad as ours. Crazy Frog at No.1 for a 4th week....:ohmy:

I quite frankly find the english chart bizzare.

Why are U2 frankly gifted top 5's at every release. Coldplay, Radiohead et al treated as Gods - yet the Crazy Frog massacres everyone??

On the opposite Australia would never allow the Crazy Frog debacle yet has so much garbage in there its not funny!

Must be Australias continuing Americanisation. :no:

Youve seen the DVD Timmie? I received an email from sanity to say that there were problems at the pressing plant and the dvd release is delayed (again. A similar thing happened with the Sometimes DVD)

beli said:
Youve seen the DVD Timmie? I received an email from sanity to say that there were problems at the pressing plant and the dvd release is delayed (again. A similar thing happened with the Sometimes DVD)

I saw about 15 copies of it sitting up in my local JB-Hi Fi for $7.95.. in a slimline jewl case with the yellow flashbulb curtain cover. It had a nice sticker saying something re:live material. As I said though I couldn't see the damn tracklisting!

Must be one of those W.A. things huh?! :wink:

I didn't buy it though :reject: Infact I actually bought somthing that would probably get me banned fomr B&C. :reject:

timothius said:

I saw about 15 copies of it sitting up in my local JB-Hi Fi for $7.95.. in a slimline jewl case with the yellow flashbulb curtain cover. It had a nice sticker saying something re:live material. As I said though I couldn't see the damn tracklisting!

Just a thought. Maybe the DVDs been recalled and theyre printing it again with the tracklisting :shrug:

bono_man2002 said:

:mad:
I've got to drive 2 hours to get to JB.

I feel you're pain man... 5 minutes drive (3 on a good day). Or 1 minute walking distance to my old school :hyper:.

The best thing is that they are open till 9 all weekdays!

Anyways back on topic. Dammit come to Australia to support you're frigging albums!:madspit:

The shopping centre I work at has 2 music stores. One is called Muses which is now going in to receivership and Sanity.

Muses can't order new stock until their receivership issue is settled, so they don't have COBL.

Sanity on the other hand had it in stock but not on display. I had to ask the girl at the counter as to whether they had any. She then proceeded to open up a pile of boxes they had behind the counter to sell me one. This is a week after its official release.

Maybe we will see it rise this week, once all stores have their shelves stacked properly. Btw, they didnt get any of the DVD versions.

Where are you Sken?

When Sometimes was released Trax didn't have it until a week and a half after it was released. Thats why I ordered online with Sanity this time.

*waiting, waiting, waiting*

I shall never forget the Edible Flowers debacle of early this year
Care to elaborate?

Beli, I'm in Adelaide. I hope you get your order quickly, but really their staff have no idea sometimes.

I know quite a lot of Sanity people from the previous shopping centre I used to work at, and I do get a lot of goss about what goes on. Quite often Sanity are paid money by the music companies or suppliers to play their music in store. The staff usually do not have a choice of what music they want to play, they are told what to play. I know EMI payed them a lot of money to play Robbie Williams continously for a two week stretch when he toured last.

I also know the staff were very sick of it too:)

Sken said:

Beli, I'm in Adelaide. I hope you get your order quickly, but really their staff have no idea sometimes.

I dont deal with their instore staff anymore. Only online. I had a run in with the instore staff over the special edition REM hits thing of last year. I paid a deposit in advance and they still kept stuffing up.

I also tried ordering a Youssou N'Dour album from them but could not convince the moron at the desk to type an apostrophe in his name. According to her, the database dpesn't accept apostrophes. According to her, Youssou N'Dour has no released any albums in Australia. :mad:

I'm waiting, and hoping this new JBs employs staff with brains.

Back
Top Bottom