COBL no. 31 in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm waiting, and hoping this new JBs employs staff with brains.
It really depends on the individual. Staff will leave Sanity and probably end up at JB, and vice versa. From my experience with their staff, they truly, honestly couldnt care less about your request. If its something they don't know, and takes more than 5 secs to look up, it doesnt exist.

Guess thats why online purchases are becoming more popular. I work for EzyDVD, and I tell ya, the amount of dollars that goes through the online website is huge. People are getting lazy, and also don't have to deal with the kind or problems you described above.

Sken said:

Care to elaborate?

I went in asking if I could pre-order the three copies of the Finn Brothers Edible Flowers single, they're like sure, sure no problems itll be this amount (fairly decent for imports). Blah, blah. It'll be in on such and such - we will call you. I come in after the time I'm like hey where's my singles?

What singles sir? Edible Flowers are you kidding? Thats a UK only release we cannot get that in. Who are the Finn Brothers anyway. (Thats comment pissed me off :mad: :mad: :madspit: :madspit: ) I said, they told me previously they could get it in... they checked again and she said... oh yes we can get it in... I'm happy... then she tells me how much... some 3 times more...

I Walk Away...

COBL's bad sales can also be blamed on imcompetent staff knowing nothing but hip-hop.

Sken said:
Guess thats why online purchases are becoming more popular. I work for EzyDVD, and I tell ya, the amount of dollars that goes through the online website is huge. People are getting lazy, and also don't have to deal with the kind or problems you described above.

Props to EzyDVD by the way. Great webstie :applaud:. The owner of that I see was shooting up the Young 100 list on BRW last year - such a great concept. Internet selling is the way of the future I'm telling you (which i'm sure all of us know). I seriously think there is a big niche for an online store with these kind of "vintage" bands at reasonable prices (unlike HMV & Sanity). But as usual my active mind takes things off topic. :rolleyes:

We have an EzyDVD store. I used to order via their website before the store opened because I didn't have to deal with morons. I could just search the database myself.

Dunno how EzyDVD, Trax, and Sanity are going to do when this huge JB opens.

Edited - for instore sales I mean.

Last edited:
timothius - its actually amazing how many of those sort of stories you hear, it really is very disappointing for both Sanity and the customer. Btw, did you end up getting yourself a copy or are waiting for it to eventually come down?

Yes it really would be nice to see a website that was similar to, and as efficient as EzyDVD's that would concentrate on music, LP's and imports.

Sad thing is it wouldnt be difficult to set something like that up, I already have the credit accounts with the suppliers, its really the advertising and getting yourself known that is the time consuming and expensive part.

beli - I wouldnt expect the staff at EzyDVD in WA to be much different to what you experience at Trax, Sanity or JB. All the WA stores are company owned, so naturally staff pretty much have a low interest in things. When those stores become franchised you will definately see an improvement.

I see the figures of all stores company wide on a weekly basis, and its guaranteed that all the Franchise stores rank a lot higher than the company stores do. It always makes a difference when you are responsible for your own bottom line, it genuianly leads to better service overall and is reflected on the figures at the end of the day.

In regards to competition, it usually is a good thing. I know here in SA a couple of JB stores have opened up near EzyDVD stores, and it has actually helped increase sales. This might be due to that fact that JB are bringing more people to those centres, or the staff are finally on their toes actually doing some work.

You know, I nearly opened the store at Carousel. I flew to Perth a couple of years ago to look at the Disney store that was there, which is now currently occupied by an EzyDVD company store. Didn't end up doing it, but really enjoyed Perth. It was the first time I had been there, and a friend and I were fortunate enough to spend New Years at Northbridge.

Honestly, I really think Perth has the most beautiful women in all of Australia, as well as some of the nicest people.

Anyways, I'm off to watch a movie, will catch you guys soon................take care!

Sken

Last edited:
Sken, I take it you are a franchisee of an EzyDVD store?

(you are right about Perth women :drool: )

Sanity are fucked in so many ways, so difficult to deal with as both a customer and from a business point of view.

Last edited:
Sken said:
timothius - its actually amazing how many of those sort of stories you hear, it really is very disappointing for both Sanity and the customer. Btw, did you end up getting yourself a copy or are waiting for it to eventually come down?

Yes it really would be nice to see a website that was similar to, and as efficient as EzyDVD's that would concentrate on music, LP's and imports.

Nah I haven't got them yet. I'll eventually get them in myself, but I've lacked the motivation after all that.

Totally I would kill for it, might even look into it myslef. :wink:

Well, I've been reading this thread and all I can say is...

U2!! PLEASE TOUR HERE SOON AND GIVE THIS COUNTRY A GOOD KICK IN THE ASS!! LET THEM DISCOVER WHAT REAL MUSIC IS!!

Patience, patience.

The good news is that by the time they get here, they may be irrelevant enough in this country that it will be $20 at the local.

Sken said:
beli - I wouldnt expect the staff at EzyDVD in WA to be much different to what you experience at Trax, Sanity or JB. All the WA stores are company owned, so naturally staff pretty much have a low interest in things. When those stores become franchised you will definately see an improvement.

Oh. :mad: I guess its a step in the right direction though. Just by the sheer physical size of the JB store they have to stock more than the top 20 which will be a huge improvement.

Sken said:

You know, I nearly opened the store at Carousel. I flew to Perth a couple of years ago to look at the Disney store that was there, which is now currently occupied by an EzyDVD company store. Didn't end up doing it, but really enjoyed Perth. It was the first time I had been there, and a friend and I were fortunate enough to spend New Years at Northbridge.

Carousel? I haven't been there in years . I live the opposite end of Perth, near the coast. Carousels a strange shopping centre.

Northbridge at New Year would have been a hoot. I've only been to Chinese New Year at Northbridge and thats bucketloads of fun.
Sken said:

Honestly, I really think Perth has the most beautiful women in all of Australia, as well as some of the nicest people.

Sken

You both say that :blush:

And of course the people saying this don't live in Perth. :mad:

I should be getting my 3 copies tommorow (oh well 2, if they also dont have a DVD Copy)

So lets hope I can get COBL up another place on the chart :)

:reject:
Emmm, what's JB's?

I'm guessing its a music store, but I live a good 7 hours away from a decent population (I mean, who build's a bloody town the middle of a desert anyway? :madspit: ) and I have no idea what you're talking about. Does it have more variety than Sanity etc. or just better service?

:sigh: 18 more months til uni in a city.

beli said:
Hi Meghan, Where are you? Mt Isa? lol

No, Mildura. :wave:

It's not really that bad, (I've lived in smaller towns) I just wish we had a big enough population to attract a decent band or even just an alternative music store. I have the hardest time trying to find anything made before 2000.

oranges :drool:

Perth has a big enough population but we still miss most bands. And music stores are still crap. I buy most of my CDs online.

PS Does anyone know somewhere online I can find the "Cry" album by Simple Minds?

Hi Meghan,

Country girl!

If you are starved for any U2 stuff send me an email and I'll send you out some U2 DVD bootlegs to keep you amused.

Cheers
Sken

email would help: skenrangerone@yahoo.com

Last edited:
My local JB store (ringwood) is pretty good, but I don't go near Sanity...who would pay $28 for something you can get at JB for $15-21?

BTW U2 would have been able to get both Sometimes and COBL higher up the chart if they had been released as singles earlier.

Both of these songs received a fair bit of airplay before they became singles, U2 was simply too late IMO in releasing them as singles cause people had gotten over the songs

They could also get better chart positions if they visited here :eyebrow: I mean HTDAAB hardly stayed in the charts for very long now did it?

I agree with the need for "U2 face time". Obviously tours are always going to take forever to get here, but all it would take is 3 days in Sydney. Show up at around the time of an album release. Do the media rounds here (I'm dying to see Bono on Denton). Play a club/theatre size gig. Done. It would make the world of difference. Can you imagine the hype from "U2 Live At The Enmore" alone?

Earnie Shavers said:
I agree with the need for "U2 face time". Obviously tours are always going to take forever to get here, but all it would take is 3 days in Sydney. Show up at around the time of an album release. Do the media rounds here (I'm dying to see Bono on Denton). Play a club/theatre size gig. Done. It would make the world of difference. Can you imagine the hype from "U2 Live At The Enmore" alone?

Great idea, a night at the Metro & a night at the Palais down in Melbourne would be perfectly fine.

On the Denton front. Do you think Bono would do it, I know they have had a lot of big names in the past in similar positions (Stipe & Ghrol come to mind). But Bono doesn't really have a track record of appearing on these kinds of shows. Mind you maybe the quality of the show would be enough to persuade his "people" to encourage him to go on the show.

I'm sure even having Edge or Bono or Rove prior to the Bombs release would've shifted another few thousand units in the opening week. But they seem not to like stooping to those kinds of appearances.

Tim, thanks for that site. I'll have a read and see how it works. There seems to be lots of copies of Cry on there so hopefully I can purchase one. :ohmy:

On another note, my two City CD singles I ordered from sanity arrived today. (but not the DVD single). And the goss is the JBs near me is going to start trading in the morning. :ohmy:

timothius said:

I'm sure even having Edge or Bono or Rove prior to the Bombs release would've shifted another few thousand units in the opening week. But they seem not to like stooping to those kinds of appearances.

They did it in the USA. Theyve appeared on that Good Morning show, and Saturday Night Live.

I dont think Bono would ever appear on Denton. Bono appears to avoid interviewers who ask the hard questions, and sticks to the same people who have been interviewing him for the past 20 years et Fanning, Jo Whiley, etc.

Seriously hope U2 would never stoop as low as Rove.

Denton asking the hard questions is exactly why I'd like to see Bono on there.

I brought COBL today.
Got the 2 Audio Cd's, couldnt see the DVD...didnt have time to ask.
Hopefully it helps it climb the charts....a little :)

Earnie Shavers said:
Seriously hope U2 would never stoop as low as Rove.

Denton asking the hard questions is exactly why I'd like to see Bono on there.

I don't think Rove is terribly low. But I would doubt that they would appear anyway.

But seriously, I don't think that Denton would ask terribly probing questions by our standards. He tends to provide interview that the common man would find amazingly deep. But for us I seriously doubt that we would find anything new or amazing revealed. Also I think Bono's nature/ego would probably take the interview to places where it could be better.

A Denton interview with 1989 or 1993 Bono would've been intrawling however.

timothius said:

I don't think Rove is terribly low. But I would doubt that they would appear anyway.

I honestly couldn't bare to watch U2 on Rove, in interview or performing.

timothius said:

But seriously, I don't think that Denton would ask terribly probing questions by our standards. He tends to provide interview that the common man would find amazingly deep. But for us I seriously doubt that we would find anything new or amazing revealed. Also I think Bono's nature/ego would probably take the interview to places where it could be better.

Well, you're right, but Denton does do a far better job on entertainers then any other 'entertainment' interview you'll see in Australia. Rove? He'll just talk about one funny story for five minutes then cut to some naked guy running around a park for a t-shirt for ten minutes. Molly? He'll talk to Bono or U2 in the same way he'd talk to Jon Bon Jovi or Britney Spears or whoever. Richard Wilkins? He'll try and talk about himself. One of the Channel V monkeys? Unfortunately those are the only local options. Denton is the only place where you'll really get an actor or singer engaged in an interesting conversation of any sort.

timothius said:

A Denton interview with 1989 or 1993 Bono would've been intrawling however.

I think the last time I can remember Bono on a proper, full length, one on one interview on an Australian tv show (with an Australian interviewer) was on 60 Minutes on the eve of Zoo TV Sydney. Helen Whatsername didn't get Bono, she got the cigar smokin' Fly, and he flirted her out of all of her questions. Hilarious. She was giggling and blushing like a 14 year old.

Back
Top Bottom