CNN story - Bono honored for good works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/News/02/15/showbuzz/index.html#1

Bono honored for good works

HOLLYWOOD, California (Reuters) -- Hollywood stars such as Tom Cruise and Kevin Spacey, and rock bands No Doubt and R.E.M. tossed valentines to U2 singer Bono at a fund-raiser Thursday marking the outspoken Irishman's "extraordinary philanthropy."

The first annual "Love Rocks" concert was held in Bono's honor, and also brought out the likes of comedians Ray Romano and Drew Carey, actor Sean Penn, R&B singer Lauryn Hill and Walt Disney Co. Chairman Michael Eisner. The event was designed to raise money for cardiovascular research.

Bono, a.k.a. Paul Hewson, was feted with the "Heart of Entertainment" award for what organizers described as "his extraordinary philanthropy and dedication to improving the lives of millions of people throughout the world."

In his two decades at the helm of his politically active rock group, Bono has championed such causes as debt relief and AIDS awareness in the Third World, and worked with such groups as Amnesty International and Greenpeace.

Cruise told the crowd at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre that Bono "makes us all proud to be human." Former President Clinton and Rolling Stone Mick Jagger sent congratulatory videos. R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe described Bono as a "singer, songwriter, statesman, fashion plate."

In accepting his award, Bono proudly described himself as "a thorn in the shoe" of President Bush's administration because of his efforts to apprise U.S. lawmakers of suffering in the world's poorest countries.

He challenged the creative minds in Hollywood to help end suffering. He noted that 8 million people died each year from preventable diseases that could be avoided with the expenditure of $30 on each victim.

Still, even a charismatic rock star knows he can command people's attentions for only so long.

"I guess right down the hall from beatification comes crucifixion, so I better enjoy this," he said.

"I guess right down the hall from beatification comes crucifixion, so I better enjoy this," he said

Unfortunately that is already happening
mad.gif

Oh well, everybody's got issues.

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
Bono, a.k.a. Paul Hewson, was feted with the "Heart of Entertainment" award for what organizers described as "his extraordinary philanthropy and dedication to improving the lives of millions of people throughout the world."

I'm so proud to be a fan! I love the name of the award!

Originally posted by BostonAnne:
I'm so proud to be a fan! I love the name of the award!

So do I!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Back
Top Bottom