Clouded Judgement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Was reading a bit about Bono and the happenings in Burma, on which he was giving his opinion. Now, while I see his words as being done from concern, I can see all the Bono loathers getting pissed off more at him (unjustly) for getting involved.
So I got to thinking, Do you think that this widely held opinion that Bono is a asshole (not my view), prevents a lot of narrowminded people from admitting to enjoying some u2 tunes? I mean, there are a lot of ppl I have met over the years that hold some very negative views of him, where many other stars seem to escape this bitterness.

I don't care what other people say about Bono, most of the "haters" really don't know anything and don't care to get themselves some information.

I still say there's also a lot of jealousy involved.

What I am really interested in: What did Bono say about the happenings in Burma and where did you read it (because I haven't seen anything about it)? Thanks for the information.

Heres the article for ya Last Unicorn.....

Irish rocker and activist Bono said Wednesday he was praying that the peaceful campaign against Myanmar's military junta would finally triumph and expressed concern over the deteriorating situation.

(Advertisement)
Speaking at the British premiere of the film "Across the Universe", the U2 frontman said: "It is extraordinary to see the Buddhist monks isn't it? Their non-violence may, I pray, win out over the ugliness of the situation."

"There is jeopardy. I slept uneasily last night and I'm sure everyone else that watched did too.

"How far are they going to have to go?"

He added: "In Britain, (Prime Minister) Gordon Brown has shown some leadership as has (US President George W. Bush) George Bush. Everyone should keep their fingers crossed and say your prayers for them."

The country's security forces used batons, tear gas and live rounds Wednesday in a violent crackdown on mass protests against the military junta, killing at least four people including three Buddhist monks.

Up to 100,000 people defied heavy security to take to the streets of the main city Yangon, marching and shouting abuse at police despite blunt warnings from the ruling generals who are facing the most serious challenge to their rule in nearly two decades.

The singer said that he admired detained pro-democracy leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, noting: "I've always followed her progress and that of the Burmese people."

"She is a study in grace and they are a study in patience."

I'm sure that a lot of people can't bring themselves to like u2 because of their dislike of Bono.
In my case I know I could never get really into music by Sting or Elton John only because I think they're complete tools. Shallow of me maybe but that's how it is.

I am not sure the fact that people don't appreciate Bono's public involvement would cloud their judgements on the songs: I know people who say that they like lots of their songs but can't stand the I-am-going-to-save-the-world attitute. Which really upsets me because it's the kind of people that states that money should be redistributed etc etc so there must be something wrong in their reasoning if then they complain because a rock star wants to get involved and help. Bah!

BUT, not everybody thinks these things and people who are really involved with serious problems recognise that Bono's efforts are great: a friend's of mine's uncle is a big shot in one of the biggest charity associations in the world (v. active in South America especially) and told my friend that following several dinners with Bono he understood that Bono is a better philantropist than he is a singer...GO FIGURE!

So, I don't care if some narrowminded people think Bono is a asshole, and who cares if they do not listen to U2, the important thing is that the big shots that really can make the difference love him.

gman, thank you for the article!

It's a tragedy what has been going on in Burma for so long and especially what is going on now. If only the monk's peaceful protest would succeed and if they were able to mobilize more civilians. But I think the whole situation was destined to end in violence, sadly, I fear there will be even more bloodshed.

I admit freely that I became aware of the situation of the Burmese people because of U2 back in the day, I did not know much about it before, and there are also many other social and political issues I became more aware of because of U2 and/or Bono. I follow these things closely now and I wish more people would have the social conscience and the knowledge of Bono - especially those who never get tired of slamming him.

There is a difference between well-considered critisism (and Bono, like any other person, esp. in his position, is not and should not be immune to that) and personal attacks on a person out of pure hatred or ignorance.

gman said:
I mean, there are a lot of ppl I have met over the years that hold some very negative views of him, where many other stars seem to escape this bitterness.

I don't know about that...just about every "star" of any significance (and many who are not) have more than their share of irrational, unreasoning "haters", mostly just for the offense of existing and/or being successful! God forbid if a star goes on to express an opinion...:ohmy:

I put it all down to either envy/jealousy....

Either that or there are a lot of really stupid people in the world.:wink:

There's a lot of great people who have big hater clubs, just like there are a lot of assholes who have big fan clubs.

It works both ways...:shrug:

I've been thinking about this very thing lately. I went to see the Joe Strummer documentary movie a few weeks back. And there's all these famous people commenting on Joe... and then Bono pops up and I just cringed, and there was a collective murmur around the theatre, kinda like, oh god what's this tosser doing here.

I don't even remember what he said, but he just comes across as such a tosser. Don't get me wrong I very much admire Bono and think he is doing amazing things in his activism, I just wonder if he has gone back to how he was percieved back before Zoo Tv as the overly sincere saviour of the world social conscience...

And maybe he just doesn't need to be commenting on everyone and everything.

Although of course he has been championing the Burma cause for some time, so he can comment.

Back
Top Bottom