Clayton and Mullen Saved HTDAAB From Being Junk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Here is a clip from TIME magazine followed by a Bono quote made a year ago:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The indispensable wisdom of the rhythm section was proved most recently during the making of U2's new album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. For all its success, U2 has never enjoyed making records, largely because the force and diversity of the band members' personalities, combined with their politeness and respect for one another, turns the process into something slow, sloppy and complicated — like democracy. There was hope, though, in October 2003, when the group gathered in Dublin to give a close listen to songs that Bono, 44, and the Edge, 43, believed were ready for release. "All we needed was the assent of the politburo and the record would have been out for Christmas," says Bono. Clayton, 44, and Mullen Jr., 43, focused on each track and then voted decisively that the songs were simply not good enough. "When it comes to signing off on a project," says Clayton, "you ask questions like, 'Have we got a first single to open the campaign?' Frankly, we were missing more than just a first single." Says Mullen Jr.: "It was awkward, but it had to be said."

When it became clear that Clayton and Mullen Jr. were not going to budge, producer Steve Lillywhite was brought in to break the deadlock. "They played me the record," says Lillywhite, "and it was, well, it had the weight of the world on its shoulders. It certainly wasn't any fun." After several lengthy meetings, Bono and the Edge caved. "The songs were good," says Bono, "but good won't bring you to tears or make you want to leave your house and tour for a year. The bastards were right."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bono: "We've got a song up on the burner called 'Native Son.' The best way I think we can celebrate is to just finish out what we're doing: Make this song a scorching 45. The molecules in the air are vibrating quite nicely as a result of that phone call."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure the TIME Magazine article is old news. So is the succeeding quote from Bono. But after reading both together and listening to the unreleased HTDAAB songs (which just came out recently), it is clear Mullen and Clayton were right. The unreleased HTDAAB are much cheaper unfinished one-dimensional versions of the album. If you put them together, you'd probably get a POP album part 2.

Imagine an album released last year. It would have the unreleased versions of Yahweh, Sometimes You Can't Make It, and All Because Of You. It would have had Native Son instead of Vertigo. It would have had Xanax And Wine instead of Fast Cars. Can you imagine how substandard that album would be? I am sorry Bono, no molecules are vibrating in Native Son and it is not a scorching 45 - Vertigo is.

I guess U2 have learned the POP experience that patience is a virtue. Thanks to the insistence of Clayton and Mullen. Instead of getting another junk album, we get a well-crafted hit-filled brilliant album from U2.

Many have dismissed me here as a Clayton-critic but I am not. I am certain it is one of Clayton's defining moments as a member of U2 to have the album date moved further to make it better. I think Mullen and Clayton have saved U2 this time.

Cheers,

J

No I dismiss you as a "Pop critic", Jesus in every one of your posts you have a go at that GREAT album, AND I GET BOLLOCKED ON HERE FOR REPEATING MYSELF. There is no justice in this world.

While I vehemently disagree with you on matters of POP, I will agree that the finished album is much better than the demos. That said, have you ever considered working for tabloids? You have a way with sensational headlines. :wink:

rjhbonovox said:
No I dismiss you as a "Pop critic", Jesus in every one of your posts you have a go at that GREAT album, AND I GET BOLLOCKED ON HERE FOR REPEATING MYSELF. There is no justice in this world.

The POP Debacle isn't the main point of this thread. I only mentioned it in passing. I started this thread because I always feel that journalists love to sensationalize and exagerrate just the make their subject look better. So I didn't trust the TIME article which portrayed Clayton and Mullen as unsung heroes for pushing the release date a year away. But after listening thoroughly to the iPod unreleased versions of those songs, it became clear that TIME wasn't exagerrating and that Clayton and Mullen were dead right. If anything, it was Bono who was exagerrating about Native Son calling it a scorching 45 with vibrating molecules. That is furthest from the truth.

Cheers,

J

Well, U2 know what they're doing. They've been doing it long enough, and whatever they do, I have faith that it will turn out best for them and for the fans.

Another U2 nut! said:
Well, U2 know what they're doing. They've been doing it long enough, and whatever they do, I have faith that it will turn out best for them and for the fans.

Finally, someone else with a possitive attitude! :up:

I agree, after listening to the unreleased versions I think it was the right thing to do. The album verisons of Sometimes, Aboy Vertigo, Yahweh, and Fast cars are much better. They feel complete and distinct. They seem to have more magic in them as well. And this is for someone who enjoys the unreleased versions very much, similarly to the Salome outtakes. In both instances the unrelased stuff is interesting but their best is on the album. In my opinion the only unreleased version that comes close is Xanex vs Fast cars. Thanks Adam and Larry.

Lancemc said:

Finally, someone else with a possitive attitude! :up:

Thanks! It's only reasonable for a band that has been going since before my birth (24 years ago!) and is still the biggest rock sensation in the world to know a thing or two about the industry! They didn't stay at the top by accident, they stay there still because of talent, expertise, shrewdness and decades of experience.

Long live and God bless!

well... I like Pop, so I wouldn't mind if they put out Pop part 2...

but...

Imagine an album released last year. It would have the unreleased versions of Yahweh, Sometimes You Can't Make It, and All Because Of You. It would have had Native Son instead of Vertigo. It would have had Xanax And Wine instead of Fast Cars. Can you imagine how substandard that album would be? I am sorry Bono, no molecules are vibrating in Native Son and it is not a scorching 45 - Vertigo is.

All of this I agree with... but I wouldn't call this album Pop part 2... I'd call it crap. Thank goodness they took their time and got HTDAAB to it's current form.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
well... I like Pop, so I wouldn't mind if they put out Pop part 2...

but...

All of this I agree with... but I wouldn't call this album Pop part 2... I'd call it crap. Thank goodness they took their time and got HTDAAB to it's current form.

I totally agree.....which means for once, I guess I actually agree with jick.:ohmy:

What's so wrong with an album that has the weight of the world on it's shoulders? :(

Achtung Baby was a very dark album and it was great.

The songs needed more work but it seems more that they didn't have singles for the radio more than they didn't have a good album.

It lives up to my theory that the original album would have been a great album but would have been much more difficult and wouldn't have fit well with iPod commercials and that they decided they needed an opening single and more singles and therefore reworked everything for more accesability instead of allowing the songs to be written as they were intended.

The songs on the Complete U2 certainly need some more work to them but I think they may have gone overboard so if the vote was "ship this stuff out the door and start practicing for the tour or work on it more" then yes they made the right call because the unreleased stuff isn't up to album quality. It just needs more work but the potential was certainly there.

I think that when they went to complete them they decided to radically alter the mood and feel of it instead of the structural and production problems that the unreleased versions have.

I read that Time article when it came out, and having listened to Native son I have often thought to myself - 'Thank God for Adam and Larry!' I am quite stunned that Bono had Native Son pegged for the kickoff single. I mean, a song about gun control? It doesn't totally suck, but Vertigo is sooooo much better. As long as Adam and Larry are reeling the overeager Bono in, I shall never again gripe about the four-year wait in between albums.

Last edited:
deltau922 said:
I read that Time article when it came out, and having listened to Native son I have often thought to myself - 'Thank God for Adam and Larry!' I am quite stunned that Bono had Native Son pegged for the kickoff single. I mean, a song about gun control? It doesn't totally suck, but Vertigo is sooooo much better. As long as Adam and Larry are reeling the overeager Bono in, I shall never again gripe about the four-year wait in between albums.

Amen brother!!!

Cheers,

J

jick said:

If anything, it was Bono who was exagerrating about Native Son calling it a scorching 45 with vibrating molecules. That is furthest from the truth.

Exaggerate much?

Native Son is as strong as Vertigo. I believe it's better. It relies on the song instead of the production. I like Vertigo; I love Native Son. It's my opinion that Native Son would have been a longer-term hit than Vertigo will be. Alas, it would not have sold iPods.

There's a funny quote from "Into The Heart" (the book). I don't have the book with me right now, so this is a crude paraphrase:

Ultimately, every track had to pass the Larry Mullen test: if it sounded unmistakably like a U2 song, it could go on the record.

See, you were rather quick to rush to conclusions, wondering if Clayton was a musical sellout. I suppose I'll have to take your word on those other songs, as I don't have an Ipod, and really have no interest in getting one at this time.

I'm pretty sure Larry and Adam know what they're doing, how many other rhythm sections are as "together" and work together like Adam and Larry. Ringo and McCartney, nope, not as together as these 2.

Odd thing is, if you met Adam, he'd probably be the nicest one, if you told him to his face the things you post about him here, he'd probably shrug it off. He knows he's just the bass player, he comes off as a lot more grounded and down to earth than most rock persons I've heard/read about. I've yet to come across accounts of Adam being mean to fans, he got mobbed a couple times by fans, and just kinda laughed it off.

Larry and Adam balance out each other, while balancing out Bono and Edge.

Apparently he's the diplomat of U2, back in the early days, if there was some fights within U2, he'd be the one calling, to sort things out.

Blessed are the peacemakers ye know.

Back
Top Bottom