Classic Fly or Elevation Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I want an opinion, do you perfer the grungy, classic version of the Fly...or the energized-hard rock-bono sings every lyric Fly that they do on the Elevation tour? Personally I thought the Classic one is great...But Edge's solo on live from Boston= chills!!!!

You walk out into the sports hall
Lights go down
It's a whole different scene
Of light and motion
Light and motion
Lights and motion
It's hard to walk away
And you could haaaaaave all
And we could haaaaave all
Have it all
And love....
Shines like a burning star
Falling from the sky
Toniiiiiiiight....

*EXPLODES*

Enough said.

OMG, OMG, OMG Elevation Fly definately, I have watched that part of the CD 3 times this week. I love it....especially the end when Bono runs and Edges riff, then Bono runs up against the wall. I love it.

Yeah I know, :coocoo:

JCOSTER said:
OMG, OMG, OMG Elevation Fly definately, I have watched that part of the CD 3 times this week. I love it....especially the end when Bono runs and Edges riff, then Bono runs up against the wall. I love it.

Yeah I know, :coocoo:

That version just makes me :combust:

Go download a copy of The Fly from London on the Vertigo tour. It was a radio broadcast, so it's excellent quality. Best. Version. Ever. Somewhere between traditional and Elevation and Edge goes bezerk.

i've never heard a guitar sound like Edge's on the Boston DVD version, especially for the solo. the notes just explode of the fucking strings. it's the definition of a 'hot' gutiar.

Take the Elevation version, put it back in E and do the chorus the right way, and that's the best Fly ever.

Classic Fly. They changed the key for Elevation Fly and it takes any trace of anything sinister out of the song. :huh:

The intro to Elevation Fly is great, the rest is meh.

Canadiens1160 said:
Classic Fly. They changed the key for Elevation Fly and it takes any trace of anything sinister out of the song. :huh:

:up: Ditto, does anyone know why they changed the key for Elevation?

Vertigo Fly.

I know that Elevation was the better re-working - and I like all versions - but I just love the guitar on the latest incarnation on this tour.

Total U2 Nut said:

:up: Ditto, does anyone know why they changed the key for Elevation?

My guess would be for something diffrent, or to fit Bono's Vocals?...Correct me if I'm wrong, but i'm sure before the Vertigo Tour in some Doco they were talking about Bono's Vocal Key and Guitar tunning.....I might just be going crazy, though :wink:

:reject:

:shifty:

I can't stand the Elevation Fly.

I know, I know. But it really just didn't work for me. The way the guitar sounded wasn't good for me. It was too high or the notes sounded too much alike or something. But the ZooTV Fly is probably my favorite live U2 performance. That guitar sound on ZooTV is the best I've ever heard. Neither Elevation nor Vertigo can touch it.

The only part I liked was the intro with the sports hall part. After that, it just didn't do it for me.

I think the secret to Vertigo Fly for me is that Larry's drum intro has a bit more flash to it - he lets fly with the cymbals and Edge also uses a bend or two in the solo I can't hear in many previous tours.

EDIT: Ah here we go.

ZooTV Fly with great sound - listen to that guitar, that's fucking sinister man....Elevation Fly sounds like a Saturday morning kids' show theme compared to that

Vertigo Fly - listen to the drums! Also when Edge loops the end of his intro guitar riff through an effects pedal and it falls in with Larry's drums, it's perfect. During the verses, Edge is also messing around with the riff and doing some slides down the guitar neck as well.

Last edited:
I think the original recording is by far the best. But!

Live I think the Elevation version is far superior to Zoo Tv and Vertigo.

There are two main reasons for this.

The intro
When Edge did the falseto vocals on Zoo Tv he stopped playing and the song seemed to lose so much power and energy. During Elevation he carried on playing as he was not doing vocals.

The Vertigo version, as with most of the songs on the tour, seemed to lack a little something. And why the accoustic? as electric as it was made to sound it aint a Gibson Les Paul!

Studio version first, then Elevation Fly. They're different, so I'd call it a tie.

Studio version - the vocals and each instrument is just about perfect. They also managed to capture the darkness of the fly's character.

Elevation - This is the energy and guitar that you want to see when you see a U2 show. This is probably the best live performance I've seen U2 do.

Does anyone have any good boots of Elevation Fly? The Boston DVD completely neuters the guitar in the mix, it sounds like a kazoo when Edge breaks out the power chords.

Hence my name i like Vertigo Fly and Zoo tv Fly, i like the elevation fly but it feels like it's not as powerful to me. the classic versions have edge with the fallsetto and then on the last chorus Bono sings it with him, then he just yells the other part "a man will fall..." with no fallsetto holding it down underneath. That just rules:rockon: :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:
Does anyone have any good boots of Elevation Fly? The Boston DVD completely neuters the guitar in the mix, it sounds like a kazoo when Edge breaks out the power chords.

i like this one from toronto:

http://save file.com/files/34636

Canadiens1160 said:

couldnt have said it better myself......classic fly even though i still like elevation fly.....the zoo tv versions are the best by a long shot because they sound so dark and sinister as another poster said

Elevation Fly wins for me. The beautiful intro, then the explosion. and of course the solo. Edge's guitar just wails on that. i wish they'd make more songs in this vain. When they want to U2 can rock really hard and they do it so well.

More of that please on the next album thank you very much.

you guys asked for it -- how can i say that the guitar for the Elevation version is totally ridiculously awesome, when you can't hear shit on the Boston DVD? let me present to you. . . the Miami 2001 Soundchecks.

reasons why this version fuckin rocks:

1 -- Edge's guitar is super loud. Listen to those parts right after each chorus (after 'no secret at all'), and of course the solo. When you hit a note and your guitar, effects, and amp are running so hot that it sounds an octave up, you know you're smokin hot.

2 -- Backing tracks are loud

3 -- Edge gives us BACKING VOCALS for the chorus! nothing major but a very very excellent harmony that they shouldn't have dropped.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2oaj3j

i think they call what you're having right now an 'epiphany'

I can't believe the lack of apprecation of ZooTV. I understand the liking of Elevation (or tolerate it), but ZooTV's sound was the best. The guitar was better and the vocals were Bono's best (the low voice during the verses, real singing on chorus).

Back
Top Bottom