"Classic Albums" The Joshua Tree DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I really liked this British series and I never got a chance to see the episode when they did The J Tree, but yesterday I was in this music shop and I picked up a copy of it on DVD for twenty bucks and it is awesome- some really nice footage (the ZOOTV snippets of running to stand still and ISHFWILF are awwwwesome- when is ZOOTV going to be released on DVD?????)

There is heaps of great footage with Eno, Flood, Lanois, Bono and Edge at the mixing desks going through the layers of tracks and their is stuff with Anton Corbjin about the design of the album. The only fault of the album is that they miss out some tracks- there is absolutely no mention of One Tree Hill, Trip and whilst IGC does get played as background music- they dont say anything about it. Regardless of these few faults, it is a great DVD and the full version of the Sweetest thing video at the end is great- I never really appreciated that vid when it came out, but after seeing it again yesterday, wow!!! what a sweetie the B-Man is:wink:

Just bought this myself as well...really enjoy it. Love how they pick apart the layers of the tracks - adding effects they chose not to incorporate into the final versions of the song. I also really enjoy Edge's discussion of the chord progression on With Or Without You.

For anyone who is in a band, or musically talented, I would strongly recommend this DVD which really digs into the "musical" side of U2 more than anything else I've seen. And for those who just like to listen - it's still a great DVD.

I bought it a couple years ago. Every fan should take a look at it, but I would have prefered to rent it and save 15 bucks.

I bought this a few months ago two. I like it alot, and have watched it twice. I can't say it will be in heavy rotation, cause after once or twice you kinda get the idea. My favorite part is watching Bono cringe after hearing some of the unused vocal tracks. lol.

I also got the one for Dark Side of the Moon at the same time. It is a half hour longer, and more expensive, but is great too. But don't want to get off topic.

I got really excited thinking Blockbuster might have it but after searching their website it turns out that they don't. I can't tell if I should buy it...

:shrug:

I really enjoy these sort of vids/dvds. As a guitar player myself, I love seeing how they record and the process involved, again the only fault with this is the lack of talking about my all time fave song- In Gods Country. I forgot to mention my fave part of the show- the bit where Bono is quite flattered about the mention of 'Bono's guitar', "no ones ever said that before!"- classic stuff:)

Keocmb:

While I enjoy it alot, I can't say it is the coolest thing I have ever seen. It is quite technical, but if you like hearing unused/different instrumentation on the songs, or are a JT nut like me it is worth seeing. Problem is, like you said, you are gonna have a difficult time finding it for rent. So in essence, you might just want to look at it as a more expensive rental that you get to keep (I am the king of rationalization).

I was hoping it would be more like VH1's behind the music (like the impact of the album on the music world, and pop culture), but it isn't. It is more about the tunes themselves and how they were arranged. I know I am making it sound a little dry, and to be honest, at times it is. But it is informative, and I do not in anyway regret buying it. As a matter of a fact, I knew I could order it cheaper on line, but I had to have it the second I found out it existed, so I ran out to Suncoast (which is always more expensive than necessary) and bought it that day. I have seen it on-line pretty cheap. Deepdiscountdvd.com has it for 13.87 with free shipping. I don't think you could find it cheaper than that. Just go to that page, and do a search for U2.

Thanks, jimbo! I've seen it at Best Buy for something like $14.99. I'll check half.com and continue the debate inside my mind.

I actually have a VHS copy I'm looking to get rid of (someone just got me the DVD as a gift) If anyone's interested, let me know, I'll send it your way.

I was very fortunate because my local library at home has it, so I have borrowed it countless times. I like the snippets of the songs, and of course the Sweetest Thing! :love: My favourite video ever. I love it so much. Bono is a sweetie isn't he!

My faveorite part is when they are talking about Streets or Bullet...? and Adam said "I just thought he was trying to fuck up the band." It was on the order of none of them could get the song exactly the way Edge wanted it.

I had a VHS but it broke :grumpy: I found it very dull. If you are not into the studio stuff it drags terribly, because that is what much of it is, discussion. Bono and Lanois sit in the studio, Edge in his home studio. There is some footage of the band, but nothing you probably haven't seen before. My favorite part was the bits of the Spanish Eyes video, played to In God's Country.

~*Buffalo*~ said:
I was very fortunate because my local library at home has it, so I have borrowed it countless times. I like the snippets of the songs, and of course the Sweetest Thing! :love: My favourite video ever. I love it so much. Bono is a sweetie isn't he!

That video made me laugh so hard!
Especially when Bono has got the dog-puppet in his hands!! :wink:
It's such a great and ironic video!

My favourite bit of the dvd is the part Bono is with Daniel and Daniel made him shut up saying: "I know you want to talk, but now just listen"
And I love the embarassed face Bono has when they find out his "guitar" hidden!

I stole this from @u2...okay, actually I didn't steal it cos I originally wrote it (despite the fact that @U2 says I'm a 'her' when I know, pretty much for a fact that I'm not a 'her'...and if I am, then my wife is in for one helluva shock)

U2 Video Drinking Games
The Making Of Joshua Tree

Every time Bono cringes at his own vocal - take a drink
Every time they show concert footage - take drink (one drink for every 30 seconds of footage shown)
Every time Daniel Lanois comes across smug - take a drink
Every time someone uses the word 'process' - take a drink

http://www.atu2.com/fanzone/games/

Back
Top Bottom