Clapton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GibsonGirl said:

Let me put it this way. Say you have a friend who manufactures tomato sauce. Now, imagine that this same friend claims that your favourite brand of tomato sauce is somehow inferior to another brand of tomato sauce. You respond aggressively towards him, making completely irrelevant insults about HIS tomato sauce. What does his tomato sauce have to do with anything? Zilch. Nada. You insult his product, simply because he has dared to make a less than flattering comparison between your favourite brand and another brand. Is that not ridiculous? I realise that people invest far more emotional energy into a rock band than a jar of tomato sauce. But really. Come the fuck on.

Actually, that's a very good comparison, I like the analogy. If he himself is making shite tomato sauce and selling far less of his tomato sauce because it is shite tomato sauce than the one that he's dissing, he does open himself wide to insults...after all, who is he to diss someone else's tomato sauce, his is shit anyways!

Actually, because EC directly insulted the musical and artistic talent of U2, AND spoke of his own music in the equation, I think opinions of his own music are only natural. Their not irrelevant, I think it's a perfectly human response to say 'who gives a fuck, EC is just jealous becuase his music is no longer resonating /selling'. In their own crude way, that is what those posters are saying, and in the context of the topic that ERIC CLAPTON HIMSELF RAISED, it's COMPLETELY relevant.

Really, the only irrelevant thing here is your point. Honestly. It bore more weight in the AF disses U2 discussion, yep.

gabrielvox said:
it's a form of intellectual snobbery...it's like 'see, I'm a healthy U2 fan because I don't mind others talking disparagingly of them and you all who usually take exception to the naysayers are not, watch how bad this thread gets now etc etc'

You think that's what I'm trying to accomplish here? Intellectual snobbery? Jesus Christ!

What's wrong with a little irrationality now and then? It's an internet forum. It's not a big deal. Eric Clapton is entitled to his opinion that U2 and Coldplay sound the same. Fine. Interferencers are entitled to their opinion that Eric Clapton is an idiot. Fine. You're entitled to your opinion that Interference is full of mindless sheep that will support anything U2 does and attack anyone that dares say otherwise. Fine.
We're all either correct or incorrect. It doesn't fucking matter, because they're all just opinions, and this is just a box on my desk, and who really cares what anyone else thinks. Arguing over it is simply immature. Have we nothing better to do? Lets just all leave eachother alone in our mutual irrationalities.

Zootlesque said:
Acting his age has EVERYTHING to do with not jumping around in big shades he parodied 13 years before, singing disposable pop fluff like Vertigo and cheapening not only his image but U2's entire legacy! Granted, there's mature work in the last album like say, Crumbs or Sometimes. But what does the public get hit with all the time on the radio, over the internet, on TV and even at most U2 public appearances? Fucking Vertigo... the Ipod commercial. They look like a bunch of jokers! I especially hate it that to many people now, U2 is the band that made that song Vertigo. They have so many great songs from their long and illustrious past and all they seem to be doing these days is promoting the shit out of this turd of a song. Doesn't help that Bono manages to look like a total dumbass in both the official Vertigo video and the Ipod ad, when he actually used to look cool as heck in similar lightweight radio friendly pop videos of the past like EBTTRT, Desire, Discotheque etc. Gah, just ignore me. What's my opinion gonna matter in a world full of dizzy fans?
:hug: I feel the same way. Too many of the younger people I know (say, 15-19) can only name Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, and if I'm lucky, One, With or Without You, and Sunday Bloody Sunday. But mostly just the first three. One girl thinks Elevation is "such an awesome song", and I'm like "They have like 300 better songs!!!"

Clearly the solution is to force them to listen to mix CDs of really awesome obscure songs until they like them :wink:

I just like that the old codger is senile enough to think U2 is a young relevant band along the likes of Coldplay.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
You're entitled to your opinion that Interference is full of mindless sheep that will support anything U2 does and attack anyone that dares say otherwise.

I'd like to point out that NOWHERE in this thread did I refer to people as mindless sheep. Nor did I even imply it. The "mindless sheep" comment came squarely from gabrielvox.

must.get.off.bluecrack.now.

:hug: dreamoutloud

I agree...I shouldn't argue this stuff, it's ridiculous. Gotta stop comin on here when um...tossing back a few :wink: I guess I get farily opinionated too :eyebrow:

I also agree that these new U2 fans need to listen to more old obscure mix tapes...and on THAT topic...Gibson Girl I had meant to tell you ages ago but forgot/got busy...loved your youtube video of An Cat!! and Twilight? just awesome!

it rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8n9KaWdWns

Bono was hot in the Discotheque video :wink: Not so hot in the Vertigo video :tongue:

But Pop's my favourite U2 era all around, so I may be a wee bit biased. But the Vertigo video was boring as hell. At least the Discotheque video had homoeroticism :wink:

:lol: oh man you are right

I was baiting you...all piled up under pictures of Pop Bono, you ... :teehee:

Let's face it, anything where Bono doesn't have the Jackie ONassis hairstyle is likely going to be something we mutually find hot

:wink:

Well, thank you for the comment on the video, gabriel. Despite the things we disagree on, in the end, we're all here because we like U2. And that's something, I guess. Some of us just enjoy arguing more than others... In my defence, I'm a university student, I'm expected to argue a point until I've exhausted the original topic completely. :wink:

:hug: GibsonGirl

Well there's the east coast aspect too, we have that in common :)

As for arguing..hmm..my excuse...I'm Acadian on one side and Irish on the other? trust me it's a most cursed mix! I spent the first 20 years fighting the Irish way and the last 16 the French way... :huh:

:wink:

At least The Edge does something to help the musicians who were victimized by Katrina. Clapton, throughout his career, has been most obviously influenced by black America but does nothing to contribute to, or have his own version of, Music Risingobviously

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah fucking great point. When the reviews came out chastising X&Y for not using more dulcimer, crumhorn, and lyre to flesh out the studio tracks, I was in TOTAL AGREEMENT.

(SPACIOUS)

Yeah hi this is the word "context" paging your talking point, please get back to me.

Wait I was only talking about the entire history of music, surely Coldplay come under that subject in some fashion or another?

They could sure benefit from some Gregorian chanting, don't you think?

Zootlesque said:

Acting his age has EVERYTHING to do with not jumping around in big shades he parodied 13 years before, singing disposable pop fluff like Vertigo and cheapening not only his image but U2's entire legacy! Granted, there's mature work in the last album like say, Crumbs or Sometimes. But what does the public get hit with all the time on the radio, over the internet, on TV and even at most U2 public appearances? Fucking Vertigo... the Ipod commercial. They look like a bunch of jokers! I especially hate it that to many people now, U2 is the band that made that song Vertigo. They have so many great songs from their long and illustrious past and all they seem to be doing these days is promoting the shit out of this turd of a song. Doesn't help that Bono manages to look like a total dumbass in both the official Vertigo video and the Ipod ad, when he actually used to look cool as heck in similar lightweight radio friendly pop videos of the past like EBTTRT, Desire, Discotheque etc. Gah, just ignore me. What's my opinion gonna matter in a world full of dizzy fans?

This sounds more like an everything vs Vertigo post than anything.

So Vertigo cheapened their entire legacy? Come on!

Look the sunglasses have been a staple since The Fly video, they are just now part of Bono's face deal with it.

Numb may not be fluff but it's a lot more disposable than Vertigo, along with others in the 90's.

And if you actually thought Bono "looked cool" in the Disco video then maybe you should examine what you consider cool.

asr said:
At least The Edge does something to help the musicians who were victimized by Katrina. Clapton, throughout his career, has been most obviously influenced by black America but does nothing to contribute to, or have his own version of, Music Risingobviously

:huh:

asr said:

:scratch:

Clapton, as do most artists, does do charity work, here's a page with a synopsis:

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/618-eric-clapton

I can't say that I disagree that he should be part of Music Rising or some other cause for similar aims....imo Edge started it because he feels his style and U2's music owes a debt to the music that originated out of the south/New Orleans. I think Clapton probably owes even more there, not slagging him, but his style is definitely closer in obvious influence than Edge's, don't you think?

Or is there something he's doing that I'm not aware of (eta beyond performing at the Katrina benefit, I mean)?

The_acrobat said:
So can anybody remember a time when U2 slammed another artist? I really can't.

U2 has been known to slam boy bands in the early 2000's, with good reason, I suppose. Eric Clapton may be bitter that his heyday is over, but Clapton is a far better musician than anyone in U2. It's understandable why he would say that about U2 and Coldplay.

It's unfortunate that most U2 fanatics can't open their ears and minds to any other kind of music. Only a U2 fanatic could diss one of the greatest rock musicians of all time. I mean, don't you people get tired of saying the same things over and over?

Well thanks for proving what I argued so vehemently about last night...and won't get into again, other than to say:

Whether he's a better musician than anyone in U2 or not doesn't lend his opinion any more credence imo. If it's silly to say "EC's opinion sucks cause his music sucks", then imo it's equally silly to say "EC's opinion is to be listened to because he's a way better musician than anyone in U2".

:shrug:

Er, why is it assumed U2 fans wouldn't know (any of) Clapton's music ?

Exactly, Bonovoxsupastar. You could take that post and swap "Vertigo" for "The fly", if this was 1992.

gabrielvox said:
Well thanks for proving what I argued so vehemently about last night...and won't get into again, other than to say:

Whether he's a better musician than anyone in U2 or not doesn't lend his opinion any more credence imo. If it's silly to say "EC's opinion sucks cause his music sucks", then imo it's equally silly to say "EC's opinion is to be listened to because he's a way better musician than anyone in U2".

:shrug:

Actually, it's not that silly. I'd believe a doctor over my senile grandmother if I had a question about a medical problem. If I wanted an credible opinion about music, I'd ask Clapton first.

GibsonExplorer said:

Actually, it's not that silly. I'd believe a doctor over my senile grandmother if I had a question about a medical problem. If I wanted an credible opinion about music, I'd ask Clapton first.

Right, but that's because the doctor went to med school and immersed himself in the studies necessary to give that credibilty. But comparing apples to apples, Edge probably has immersed himself in the 'roots of music' as much if not even more than Clapton. Here's why I say that: I sense in Edge an almost reverential respect for his elders and likely counts Clapton in those he looks up to (I'd have to dig a bit but I think I remember him name dropping EC one time), and an openness to 'continuing education' in his musical palatte. On the other hand, going by the tone of his interview, I sense in EC the tendency to put himself in that class and look down on anyone newer...which is kindof funny, given that the other 'elder statesmen' of rock and blues don't really do that, at least as far as I've heard in interviews..

for example, it could be argued that BB King is far and away a better musician than any of the individual members of U2, and arguably Clapton, but you don't see him slagging U2. It's called class and mutual respect as musicians, regardless of where you come from. :shrug:

fuck! i did it again! grrrrr...

Last edited:
If you're asking someone for a "credible opinion about music," you need your head checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom