Clapton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #81
The Fly

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Ridiculous opinion (I mean Clapton's view of U2) , I think Clapton is jelaous of U2's great success !! ...

Well, I respect some songs of Mr.Clapton, but I think he did not hear enough U2songs...

Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #82
The Fly

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Clapton has an opinion of music that it's important to know what you are playing & where it came from - in his case, roots blues from the 1930's. I'm sure he doesn't (doesn't want to) relate to modern rock music.
A group like Coldplay is related to very modern groups like Echo & The Bunnymen & Radiohead. Clapton's opinion is irrelevant because if Richard Ashcroft is considered to be the greatest singer than that's just as valid as him thinking Robert Johnson was the greatest guitarist.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #83
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:31 AM
How Achtung Baby ever lost out to this loser's unplugged wankoff will forever be a mystery to me...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #85
Refugee

Local Time: 04:31 AM
I'm sure Clapton also knows the difference between being a rock and roll god and a has-been.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #86
Acrobat

wait... wait... wait... Eric who?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Don't you mean people who hate the last 2 albums? I've hardly ever seen (if not never) people that hate everything they've done. The complaints seem to mostly be only about ATYCLB & HTDAAB.
yea

I hate HTDAAB..

so true statement Zoots
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Oh good, this thread lives!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Oh good, this thread lives!!!
It's wonderful! I especially love the way people are continuing to badmouth Eric Clapton's music. You know, as though insulting his art will be relevant to the discussion at hand. How silly it would be to actually address his comments. How silly it would be to challenge his inability to tell U2 and Coldplay apart. Insulting his artistic direction and musical output is FAR more effective. I applaud you, Interference!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Obviously Eric Clapton is a drunk, and also a horrible guitarist. The Edge would never be a drunk. Didn't Eric Clapton write a song about cocaine too? Maybe he's still a drug addict. He hired that guy Duane Allman and his guitar hurt my ears because it was very loud.

People bad mouthing U2 scares me. So do Kings of Leon, they were very loud when they opened for U2

Win Butler is Satan and he stole my basketball
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
WTF!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:31 AM
I hate when people talk about "roots" of music. Music has been going on for thousands of years back to the days of the caveman, long before classical, blues, rock, country or jazz. Music should always be changing or it becomes boring. If Clapton doesnt like any new music that is his own loss nobody should lose sleep over it.

His opinion about music matters no more then yours or mine music is all a matter of perspective. Whenever somebody becomes big like U2 it puts them on a pedistol to be shot at and ridiculed for no particular reason.

All the power to you Mr Clapton, I think you are wrong but I am sure many think you are right as well. If U2 paid attention to all the negative comments given their way they would have quit long ago.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #93
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

, as though insulting his art will be relevant to the discussion at hand. How silly it would be to actually address his comments. How silly it would be to challenge his inability to tell U2 and Coldplay apart. Insulting his artistic direction and musical output is FAR more effective. I applaud you, Interference!

Oh how I love the glorious edit function.

Most are decidely NOT talking about his music at all. Most ARE dissing him for his completely wacked out assinine comments about U2. Anyone who can't tell the difference btwn U2 and Coldplay needs a lobotomy. His opinion sucks, he's a jackass and he probably doesn't change his underwear daily either.

Relevant enough for ya?

eta im just gonna keep re-editing this post till i like how it looks....i wonder...is the time limit on edits from the time the post was originally posted or from each instance of editing? this could be grand fun!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #94
Ghost of Love

Quote:
So do Kings of Leon, they were very loud when they opened for U2

Hardly relevant! How dare you? Noone mentioned those hicks and how did Win BUtler enter this discussion? Are you bad mouthing the musical direction of Arcade Fire again@!??!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

WTF!
Seriously, Win Butler apparently forgot to give some guy his basketball back (it may have been gabrielvox's). It was a big internet thing a couple of weeks ago.

Win's brother Will started a blog called "Win Butler Didn't Steal That Guy's Basketball" in response.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #96
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Seriously, Win Butler apparently forgot to give some guy his basketball back (it may have been gabrielvox's). It was a big internet thing a couple of weeks ago.

Win's brother Will started a blog called "Win Butler Didn't Steal That Guy's Basketball" in response.
I remember that.

Win Butler also killed Snape.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

I remember that.

Win Butler also killed Snape.
But he wouldn't be anythang without U2, remember.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #98
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Bono's mullet was a horcrux.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Actually, the problem is solely yours GibsonGirl.

I just flipped back a couple of pages and am struggling to find many insults (ETA: save of course the deliberately sarcastic comments which I'm assuming you can easily spot) on the basis of his art or musical output.

On the other hand, many have attacked him for his absolutely ridiculous opinion, based on his comments.

And rightly he should be blasted, let me sum what Interferencers have basically been saying: anyone who can't tell U2 and Coldplay apart is a cranky old fart with little or no relevance to modern rock and also needs their head examined. What a moron! He's on crack! With an attitude like that, he probably thinks he's God's gift to music! I bet he doesn't change his underwear daily either!

See, all those are personal jabs based solely on the idiocy of his comments, the words he issued out of his mouth, notably, in an interview, not in a song or live onstage, so nothing to do with his music. Cool?

Oh, please.

Eric Clapton is allowed to have an opinion just as much as anyone else is. Yes, perhaps it is a bit misguided to claim that you can't tell Coldplay and U2 apart. It's not a terribly uncommon opinion, though. We hear the differences because we're big fans. I know plenty of people who have mistaken Coldplay for U2 based on the stuff they hear on the radio. You'd have to be a bit deaf to claim that their aren't a number of similarities between the Coldplay sound and the U2 sound. Still, I agree that he might be a little off base with his comments regarding U2. As for the roots stuff...look, the guy likes the blues. So what? Say he's out of touch if you will, but he is perfectly entitled to claim that he feels the blues are the be all and end all of music. He is not committing a mortal sin by expressing his desire for a widescale return to the type of music he loves. Personally, I'd love it if some of the newer bands out there would try introducing a few more time signatures to their music instead of boring straight forward 4/4 rock. Are you going to rip me apart and call me an idiot, just for that?

He is not a moron. He is not on crack. He is just one musician with an opinion. I mean honestly, what's the use in posting something like this in response to his comments?

Quote:
How Achtung Baby ever lost out to this loser's unplugged wankoff will forever be a mystery to me...
Really, what's the fucking use? It is completely irrelevant.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
I hate when people talk about "roots" of music. Music has been going on for thousands of years back to the days of the caveman, long before classical, blues, rock, country or jazz. Music should always be changing or it becomes boring.
Thank God somebody wrote this. You're exactly right.

Music has existed longer than just since the nineteenth century, let alone the 1950s as some idiots seem to make it out to be.

People should embrace musical styles of as many different generations as possible, and evolve from what we've learned.