Clapton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it incredible, with his connections and money and ability to check out music all over the world, that he can't find anything exciting to talk about.
Please... where the fuck is he looking? or not looking??
if too he's lazy to check out some of the phenomenal festivals going on all over the globe, then go buy a computer.
He simply aint looking.. or listening. :eyebrow:
(and I don't care what he thinks of modern music, U2, Coldplay etc. I've seen him in concert twice (many years ago) and he was/is an extraordinarily great musician.)

COBL_04 said:
Did anyone else see this thread title and go "Clayton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay? Typical." Cause I know I did. :lol:

So that explains why Coldplay's albums sound so much like U2's: Adam keeps showing up at the wrong studio and doesn't realise his mistake!

JessicaAnn said:

I also never said everyone here was a a sheep. But I have seen people get quite flustered and angry whenever anyone says anything negative about U2.

right but...how many people were legitimately getting flustered or angry in this thread? everyone was waiting for the "OMG CLAPTON DOESNT KNOW WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT HES JUST A BITTER OLD MAN" comments, but pretty much any of those were posted sarcastically. No one is getting bent out of shape about his U2 comment. I think the fact that he doesn't like any modern music is far more worrisome, though ultimately I don't care what Clapton thinks.

your comment may have been justifiable in some other thread, but I didn't think it was at all relevant in this one. :shrug:

post-heroin- addiction clapton has played nothing of worth. the man is just angry his best days are behind him. cut him some slack folks. lets start a "save clapton" fund and maybe have a show in his honor. a tribute cd from the members here would also be nice. come on people, get ready.

corianderstem said:
Didn't Bono slag off "nu-metal" a few years back?

I stood up and applauded that, I must say.

So did David Cross. :up:

Anyway, I say we all get out pitchforks and giant logs and go to Clapton's house and convince him he's wrong.

Maybe we can luck out and chase him into a windmill. :shrug:

whackjester said:
Here's an excerpt from an MSN article:

On the music he listens to today, musical roots and the "American Idol" factor:
My taste has always been very narrow in that if I go into a record store, I will always try and single out one thing to listen to because of the overwhelming amount of choice. Of all the things that have come out in the last five years, the only one that has really interested me to any great extent has been David Gray. It's quite easy to home in on. It fits my criteria. I am not particularly a fan of groups. I don't particularly understand the group ethic. I was never really mad on the Beatles or the Stones anyway when I was a kid.

My only experience of being in a group was Cream and the Yardbirds. But then, when I really wanted to play, it had to be me. If you went through my record collection, you would find records by individuals more than anything else.

I can't tell, from just listening, the difference between Coldplay and U2. They sound the same. What worries about what's going on right now is that people don't really know where it's all come from, and I don't suppose they're that interested. I heard that guy from Coldplay saying that Richard Ashcroft was the greatest singer that had ever lived singing the greatest song that had ever been written, and I think, well ... I think he probably meant it. But I think what it shows is how incredibly detached all the current stuff is from its roots. It's all become very disconnected. Then again, you've got the marketplace of it, which is, you know, Simon Cowell [judge on TV's "American Idol"]. That's the face of popular music today. That's where the power of music is right now. It sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really people who attend awards shows. That's what they do. I don't have anything against them; I just wouldn't want to listen to them.

http://music.msn.com/crossroads/interview

And this after Bono was kind enough to sing Presence of the Lord, an all-but-forgotten Blind Faith gem, in Tokyo... still love Clapton, though. The Cream reunion DVD is beautiful.

JessicaAnn said:
He just finished a world tour in April 2007 which included stops throughout the US, Europe, Japan, Australia, and the far east.
I applaud Clapton for that, when was the last time U2 played the far East, apart from Japan?

No spoken words said:
Hey, look, Bono at one point could not tell the difference between ABC News and Hill Street Blues, so, let's cut Clapton some slack here.

:lmao: good one mate

Pastor Dave,"So I will now ask you guys to imagine Jesus. After you imagine Jesus illustrate him on your pieces of paper"

Pastor Dave " Are you guys ready? Hyde, you go first"

Hyde "I drew Clapton"

Pastor Dave " Oh, well, alrighty then! Eric what did you draw?"

Eric "I drew Clapton too!"

best episode ever :lmao:

Ridiculous opinion (I mean Clapton's view of U2) , I think Clapton is jelaous of U2's great success !! ...

Well, I respect some songs of Mr.Clapton, but I think he did not hear enough U2songs...:ohmy:

Clapton has an opinion of music that it's important to know what you are playing & where it came from - in his case, roots blues from the 1930's. I'm sure he doesn't (doesn't want to) relate to modern rock music.
A group like Coldplay is related to very modern groups like Echo & The Bunnymen & Radiohead. Clapton's opinion is irrelevant because if Richard Ashcroft is considered to be the greatest singer than that's just as valid as him thinking Robert Johnson was the greatest guitarist.

How Achtung Baby ever lost out to this loser's unplugged wankoff will forever be a mystery to me...

Zootlesque said:

Don't you mean people who hate the last 2 albums? I've hardly ever seen (if not never) people that hate everything they've done. The complaints seem to mostly be only about ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

yea

I hate HTDAAB..:mad:

so true statement Zoots :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
Oh good, this thread lives!!! :happy:

It's wonderful! :cute: I especially love the way people are continuing to badmouth Eric Clapton's music. You know, as though insulting his art will be relevant to the discussion at hand. How silly it would be to actually address his comments. How silly it would be to challenge his inability to tell U2 and Coldplay apart. Insulting his artistic direction and musical output is FAR more effective. I applaud you, Interference!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Obviously Eric Clapton is a drunk, and also a horrible guitarist. The Edge would never be a drunk. Didn't Eric Clapton write a song about cocaine too? Maybe he's still a drug addict. He hired that guy Duane Allman and his guitar hurt my ears because it was very loud.

People bad mouthing U2 scares me. So do Kings of Leon, they were very loud when they opened for U2 :sad:

Win Butler is Satan and he stole my basketball :sad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom