City Of Blinding Lights vs. Where The Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Streets.

COBL was the PERFECT opener for this tour, but in future tours, I have a hard time picturing COBL anywhere in the set. It's a big set-piece, and it will likely be replaced by another song off the new album they're promoting in the future.

They need to fix Streets for future tours, though, before too many people start thinking it's stale.

corianderstem said:
Streets.

COBL was the PERFECT opener for this tour, but in future tours, I have a hard time picturing COBL anywhere in the set. It's a big set-piece, and it will likely be replaced by another song off the new album they're promoting in the future.

They need to fix Streets for future tours, though, before too many people start thinking it's stale.

I think City of Blinding Lights could work as a main set closer, or even a concert closer.

possibly Velvet Dress -> COBL

...Tonight the moon is a mirrorball
Light flickers from across the hall
Who'll catch the star when he falls

If you wear that velvet dress
If you wear that velvet dress
That velvet dress
That velvet dress
That velvet dress

works really well with:

...I've seen you walk unafraid
I've seen you in the clothes you made
Can you see the beauty inside of me?
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?...

Maybe I'm stretching it quite a bit, but oh well. :drool:

This is a debate?

Streets is quite possibly U2's 'Stairway'. COBL is a product of the shadow of a truly great band.

Why is this even a thread? I love COBL a lot, probably more than most, and even I think Streets kicks it swiftly in the arse.

namkcuR said:
This is a debate?

Streets is quite possibly U2's 'Stairway'. COBL is a product of the shadow of a truly great band.

:up:

I actually thought this thread was meant to be a joke before opening it...

COBL is good esp. live but that chorus could've been better without lines like "I miss you when you're not around" and "oh you look so beautiful tonight".

Streets is... classic.

Streets is a classic because it came in an era where U2 was in the breakthrough and because it always was praised by everyone since then.
Well, I'm convinced that if COBL was released in the late 80's and it has the same treatement Steets has been having and if Streets came out today... the feelings would be opposite and COBL would be the classic and Streets "the poor brother".

I think during the European legs, there was never a good song that segued into City Of Blinding Lights...

HTDAAB is probably U2's 6th best album, at best...and COBL is not even a top 5 song on it (OOTS, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, Crumbs, Yahweh, ABoY, L&PoE are all better)...JT is U2's greatest album, and WTSHNN is one of the best songs on it, easily top 3.

It's Streets...this debate is like when USA Basketball sent the first Dream Team to the Olympics (the one with Larry, Magic, Michael etc). Any of those games = COBL vs. Streets.

CTU2fan said:
HTDAAB is probably U2's 6th best album, at best...and COBL is not even a top 5 song on it (OOTS, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, Crumbs, Yahweh, ABoY, L&PoE are all better)...JT is U2's greatest album, and WTSHNN is one of the best songs on it, easily top 3.

It's Streets...this debate is like when USA Basketball sent the first Dream Team to the Olympics (the one with Larry, Magic, Michael etc). Any of those games = COBL vs. Streets.

Well, according to the last thread in this forum about the best album, HTDAAB is the 3rd best album... and I think that COBL is one of the best songs there. I think it's th second or third best there...

They are both 10/10s for me, and City of Blinding Lights is worked into my name and the single cover is my avatar, but Where the Streets Have No Name is 'streets' ahead of COBL. :wink:

*one to me*

Aygo said:

Well, according to the last thread in this forum about the best album, HTDAAB is the 3rd best album... and I think that COBL is one of the best songs there. I think it's th second or third best there...

Ask me which is best...:wink:

Streets dammit. That song is about something. It's about rebellion. It's about wanting to run. It's about ideas. It's about the future. It's about this..it's about that.

COBL is about Bono wondering what happened to the beauty inside of him. BOOOOOOORING. But he's right tho. What did happen to that man? He got old and stopped proofreading his lyrics, that's what happened.

Streets =career defining moment. All that is the style and spirit of U2's music is summed up in this song.

COBL= an ok album track at best. not in the same leauge or even the same sport for that matter.

Sorry to all the lovers of this song but to me its just plain dull.

Aygo said:

Actually it would be the third highest favorite. It wasn't a ranking, it was a favorite poll.

Much as I love COBL there is no argument to support that it is better than Streets? Is there??
Streets by a million miles. And that isnt a put down on COBL. Just that Streets is unbeatable.

phillyfan26 said:

Actually it would be the third highest favorite. It wasn't a ranking, it was a favorite poll.

Anyway, this opinion is general if you ask many people what their favourite albums are... They'll probably answer to you JT, AB and Bomb. It's from the common knowledge.

Where The City Of Blinding Lights, Has Streets With No Name...

Er.....I can't decide is what i'm trying to say...

Streets is obviously a classic, COBL is too recent to be called a classic, So I'll say both! :)

Back
Top Bottom