"City of Blinding Lights" Sounds Overproduced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akhan01

The Fly
The live BBC version of this song sounds better than the album version. Bono sounds a bit tired throughout the song, and his voice isn't in sync with the music at all. The song sounds patched together, and the bridge is awful.

Clean your ears out. There's nothing to complain about when it comes to COBL. It's the best elements of Streets and Pride.

And I, for one, would love to tell the original poster how I really feel, but I don't fancy getting banned.

Each is own, I dont agree but....:wink: The bridge to me is amazing...when he sings "Time...won't leave me as I am, but time wont take the boy out of this man." I think you can right a thesis based on those lines.

Axver said:
Clean your ears out. There's nothing to complain about when it comes to COBL. It's the best elements of Streets and Pride.

And I, for one, would love to tell the original poster how I really feel, but I don't fancy getting banned.

Every time I go to respond to a hate thread, you've already posted exactly what I would have :)

gorman said:

Every time I go to respond to a hate thread, you've already posted exactly what I would have :)

Just paying you back for the song uploads. :wink:

Allow me to clarify. I really do like this song. I just think it got screwed up in production. It sounds choppy and fragmented. The lyrics are amazing, and Bono has some brilliant moments on the song, but it could have sounded so much better. I recall U2 once describing how difficult "Streets" was to produce. I get the same feeling here.

akhan01 said:
Allow me to clarify. I really do like this song. I just think it got screwed up in production. It sounds choppy and fragmented. The lyrics are amazing, and Bono has some brilliant moments on the song, but it could have sounded so much better. I recall U2 once describing how difficult "Streets" was to produce. I get the same feeling here.

Frankly, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I reiterate my previous opinion: there is nothing wrong with COBL. I think it's now my favourite song on the record and I wouldn't want them to change anything. Bono's voice sounds fantastic, the instruments are beautiful and come together wonderfully, the chorus is anthemic and rousing, and the whole song is epic on the level of Streets or Bad.

This is a U2 classic for the ages.

YAH!

:der:

Ummm..... :scratch:

Ummm..... hehe yah.... well....

Ok so I haven't heard the album yet and so I really have NO IDEA what I'm on about...

so I'll just say

YAH! ( please note this is not an abbreviation of Yahweh for all those who may take offence at using the Lord's name in vain).

Thankyou for you patience :).
WHYWHY.

Definitely overproduced. Thankfully I know the live version will be much better. That however is standard for U2. For whatever reason their live versions come out better.

akhan01 said:

EVERYONE THINKS THEIR AN EXPERT!!!

Axver said:

Frankly, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I reiterate my previous opinion: there is nothing wrong with COBL. I think it's now my favourite song on the record and I wouldn't want them to change anything. Bono's voice sounds fantastic, the instruments are beautiful and come together wonderfully, the chorus is anthemic and rousing, and the whole song is epic on the level of Streets or Bad.

This is a U2 classic for the ages.

You do indeed speak my mind!

COBL is the best song on the album by far however there are issues with Bono's vocal on it - I think his live version for the BBC is very good indeed! BTW - the reported tracklisting on amazon for the album is different than the downloaded copies - can anyone explain - I know there were alternative song names etc but what's going on and what happened to Tough and Full Metal Jacket???

beraghrovers said:
what's going on and what happened to Tough and Full Metal Jacket???

Tough = became Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your OWn
Full Metal Jacket = Native Son = Vertigo

The beginning of the song, after the drums kick in, sounds overproduced, but the rest is fine for me. And WTF is this shit about Bono's vocals? They sound perfect for the song. They're kinda tired and dreamy, which really adds to the quality. Much better than the TOTP version.

I'm so addicted to this track it's not even funny anymore. Yeah I can hear what you mean, but it doesn't matter, because I'm waiting for what it will become live.... It's like part II of the story that started with Streets... or maybe it's the end, and New York was the middle...
I don't care about the production. The emotion in this track carries me off before I even get a chance to notice....

Radem R

Are you sure Tough became Sometimes...? I thought Tough was meant to be on All...and Bob didn't die until after its release.

Re: Radem R

zoology said:
Are you sure Tough became Sometimes...? I thought Tough was meant to be on All...and Bob didn't die until after its release.

Not sure about that one, just a guess.

akhan01 said:

Y'know...I actually agree with you. I was very hyped about this song from the live TOTP version...and I still like it quite a bit, but the album version is a slight letdown for me, and that does have to with production. Not picking up on choppiness but something I can't pinpoint flattens the song a bit on the album.

akhan01 said:
The live BBC version of this song sounds better than the album version. Bono sounds a bit tired throughout the song, and his voice isn't in sync with the music at all. The song sounds patched together, and the bridge is awful.

wrong.
:madspit:

:scratch:

ummm... may i be the first to clue those who prefer the "live BBC" version to the album version that, in fact, they're baisicly the exact same thing...

they used the actuall studio recording with the vocals removed... only Bono sung live. the only difference in the song is that they cut a bit of the ending off when they did it "live" on the BBC.

now this song is by no means my favorite on the album, but to say that the "live BBC" version is so much better is a bit silly, considering they're the same verions.

Thanks for that clarification. The difference in the versions then is, as you point out, Bono's vocals. He sounds more passionate in the live version. That's why I think this song will sound outstanding live, particularly after they've performed it a few times.

The purpose of my post was to express my disappointment in the album version of the song. Something is certainly off about this song, and I'm trying to put a finger on it, be it the general production, Bono's vocals in the opening 1:30, the bridge, etc...

I agree I feel that the BBC live version is way better! The thing that bothers me is the guitar work about 50 secs into the song reminds me of hands that built america for a brief moment. And bono's voice seems tired, also prefer eyes to iris (lyrics). Other than that the song is amazing, so don't hang me here just because I prefer the Live version.

what happened to the beauty inside of me...

i know it's relatively simple, but it's one of my favourite lyrics on the album for whatever reason.

the "Time" bridge on TOTP had Edge very prevelant in the background singing harmony and that's why it sounded great. The album version has Edged pushed back on the last row.

That to me is literally the only difference between the two versions. It's a great song, quit nitpicking at zits on the Mona Lisa.

Back
Top Bottom