"City of Blinding Lights" Sounds Overproduced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really surprises me that this song is 5:48. Everytime i listen to it it doesnt seem like it lasted that long...

Last edited:
I love this song so much. It is victorious and blissful and everything you can want from a song. Seeing something truly beautiful for the first time is exactly COBL. I pump my fist in the air everytime the chorus hits. Pure joy. I wouldnt want this song to sound any less produced. I can't even picture it any different. :shrug:

As much as I love the album--and all of U2's albums--most of their songs, particularly the best songs, sound better live than on the album. They grow and change as the band figures out how to actually play them surrounded by thousands of fans, instead of overdubbing and mixing them in the quiet of the studio.

Who here wouldn't prefer listening to a soundboard recording of Bullet the Blue Sky from Zoo TV over the original studio version?

I love the album version of COBL, but there's an extra bit of energy in the TOTP performance that will be there in every live show they play, and that will be missing--almost by definition--from the studio version.

I notice that COBL was produced by The Flood (the only song on the album that he produced). Chris Thomas helped him, but Steve Lillywhite is no where to be found on this track. That explains a lot.

akhan01 said:
I notice that COBL was produced by The Flood (the only song on the album that he produced). Chris Thomas helped him, but Steve Lillywhite is no where to be found on this track. That explains a lot.

What does it explain then...?

It explains why COBL can't be compared to "Streets" or "Pride"--two songs that the Flood had nothing to do with. There's a synchrony missing in this song that Lillywhite (or Eno or Lanois) wouldn't have let slide.

akhan01 said:
It explains why COBL can't be compared to "Streets" or "Pride"--two songs that the Flood had nothing to do with. There's a synchrony missing in this song that Lillywhite (or Eno or Lanois) wouldn't have let slide.

lol. Flood produced half of Joshua tree!!!!!

Last edited:
Uhh, not quite. The Flood recorded and mixed most of JT; he definitely did not produce it! There's a huge difference.

akhan01 said:
Uhh, not quite. The Flood recorded and mixed most of JT; he definitely did not produce it! There's a huge difference.

Is there?

I think you'll find the engineers have the most influence over the "sound"

If you've been signed to a major label you'll know what I'm talking about.

Producers just kind of OK things like budgets and general sonic directions...

There is a difference when you have Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois as your producers. There's more than managing and "sonic direction" going on with them; they pick up on the subtleties that make songs great.

COBL sounds overly-engineered (that's been my beef from the get go on this post). Lillywhite (or Eno or Lanois) would have recognized that COBL needed to sound more raw and unfinished for it to have reached its potential. Let Bono's voice -- instead of tuneless chords -- carry the song.

I am not musically inclined, nor do I have a record label; I'm just an ordinary fan. But I know when something doesn't sound quite right.

akhan01 said:
There is a difference when you have Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois as your producers. There's more than managing and "sonic direction" going on with them; they pick up on the subtleties that make songs great.

COBL sounds overly-engineered (that's been my beef from the get go on this post). Lillywhite (or Eno or Lanois) would have recognized that COBL needed to sound more raw and unfinished for it to have reached its potential. Let Bono's voice -- instead of tuneless chords -- carry the song.

I am not musically inclined, nor do I have a record label; I'm just an ordinary fan. But I know when something doesn't sound quite right.

To be honest I respect your opinion, I love COBL and know that it will take on a new life on tour much like the rest of U2's songs. If it sounds over engineered that's because Edge went a bit too crazy on the overdubs.... There must be like 40+ guitar parts on that tune...

:heart: :heart: :heart:

you might be right. here's to wonderful future live performances of COBL.

akhan01 said:
tuneless chords

man...you've got to be kidding me.

whatever your problem with this tune is, it's your problem, not mine.

*states for record that the chords are some of the best on the album*

Back
Top Bottom