City of Blinding Lights sounds like a sequel to Unforgettable Fire...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Anyone else get this feeling?

UF had a eerie, yet moving, beauty to it... and City of Blinding Lights is like a sequel to it I think.

Well, UF was written NOT to appeal to the masses.

And COBL was written to appeal to the masses. So there's no way the songs could sound alike, since one had very pure motives, and the other is pure evil.

Remember- The song itself is of little consequence. It's the motive BEHIND the song that is the real core of a songs quality.

The drums in City Of Blinding Lights need to be like the drums in Race Against Time. It would be much better this way.

namkcuR said:
The Unforgettable Fire(the song) is musically 100x what COBL is.

Most definetly and also it doesn't have the godamn fucking awful line "oh you look so beautiful tonight", which sounds like a Backstreet Boys tribute lyric!:wink:

It's like a cross between the UF intro and imagery lyrics and JT-like guitar.

MrBrau1 said:
Well, UF was written NOT to appeal to the masses.

And COBL was written to appeal to the masses. So there's no way the songs could sound alike, since one had very pure motives, and the other is pure evil.

Remember- The song itself is of little consequence. It's the motive BEHIND the song that is the real core of a songs quality.

Yes, the mighty attitude is what it's all about.

U2girl said:
It's like a cross between the UF intro and imagery lyrics and JT-like guitar.

Out of interest, what JT song does the guitar sound like?

From memory the only slide I remember in JT is briefly in Running to Stand Still. And the rest of the song bears little resemblance to any other songs to me. Perhaps Streets, at a push.

scottyT said:
you guys are idiots.

I agree.

You guys just don't like COBL because it was on HTDAAB.

If COBL was on UF (the album) and UF (the song) was on HTDAAB, you would all be saying how COBL is 100 times better than UF. :eyebrow:

And you all know it too.

I didn't say i didn't I didn't like COBL but Unforgettable fire and Streets are 2 of the best songs ever made, COBL is a great song, but nowhere near the Masterpieces of UF and WTSHNN

Here's a bizarre theory for you all: COBL is really an homage to Echo and the Bunnymen.

IrishDawg said:

I agree.

You guys just don't like COBL because it was on HTDAAB.

If COBL was on UF (the album) and UF (the song) was on HTDAAB, you would all be saying how COBL is 100 times better than UF. :eyebrow:

And you all know it too.

The Unforgettable fire is a great song off a great album. COBL is a mediocre song off a mediocre album. To me the intro sounds more like Streets Have No Name with the chimming guitar, just that No Name is a far better song.:wink:

dude the turkey thing was probably the funniest thing i've seen on the boards in ages.

i'm not trying to rabblerouse, i just think that people are bashing a great song on a great album. if they keep putting out albums like this with powerful songs like these..... i'll keep smiling.

i fucking love U2.

I didn't like it till i heard it live....it's fantastic after you experience it in concert. Also, when the dvd gets out and more pepople will have a chance to hear it live, i bet they will appreciate it live.

I think it was made to appeal to the masses of U2 fans, not the masses, I mean, it is a song about the fans of MSG and u2's 'musical journey' thus far. It's kinda a special look at where they are at now and the experience they have gained and innocence they lost in the big cities.

I real like it. :drool:

The Unforgettable Fire is like some kind of... I dunno... opera? In a way? It's a massive journey. An unbelievably great song.

COBL... I like the spirit and sound and idea of it, it's just such a shame about the production. It's all there, it's just not sure what is supposed to drive it and define it.

Comparitively I don't think there's much there. Unforgettable Fire is a very complex song. COBL is a very simple one, that sounds more complicated then it is due to there being a lot going on and its pace. The Unforgettable Fire tells an amazing story. COBL is a nice little 'thank you' (which is fine, and great in it's own way), but certainly isn't a high point of Bonos writing. They're in different baskets. They're not trying to be the same thing, even if some of you can hear it in there, so really shouldn't be compared.

BUT on the personal opinion voting thing, Unforgettable Fire is in my Top 5 U2 songs and would be a must have on the tracklist of the U2: An Introduction CD that I would give someone. This is my favourite song of theirs from the 80's and in my opinion is one of the songs they can really hold up high throughout musical history and yell "FUCK! We are good!"City of Blinding Lights? Not even remotely close. It's an okay song that could have been better, but it is one of the 3 off the Bomb that I listen to semi-regularly. It feels good when driving. I'd like to see how it comes across live. It won't ever hold a place up there with the Unforgettable Fire level of songwriting though.

"City" definitely immediately reminded me of "The Unforgettable Fire" the first time I heard it.........both are two of the band's best songs, and easily their best atmospheric ones. It's all about the sonic soundscapes, baby. :wink:

I will not compare TUF with COBL.

I love COBL. period.

But, The Unforgettable Fire... MY goD... it's a unique song with a unique sound. Magic. Awesome. Gives me chills. Top 10 song for me.

So, I love COBL but I don't compare it to TUF because it's impossible to compare a good/great song with an unique and unreachable one.

Back
Top Bottom