City of Blinding Lights is AMAZING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
Don't know about you, but when I put on the Chicago DVD and COBL comes on, I just can't help but to get goosebumps.

That song is, imho, one of their best sine Achtung. Only songs coming close are Kite and Vertigo. And it's a great show opener too.

As a side note, if I remember correctly, there was some sketch the Edge did that was released as bonus material where he made a timeline of how long it took to make each song and I think COBL took the longest.

You can't rush perfection!

COBL, Kite, and Vertigo...so your the one that came up with the MTV playlist...

great song yes...just kinda iffy on the "best song since kite and vertigo"

wolfwill23 said:
Don't know about you, but when I put on the Chicago DVD and COBL comes on, I just can't help but to get goosebumps.

So do I. That song live is amazing :love:

City of Blinding Lights is the song that officially hooked me as a U2 nut. I also thought of it as on of the "Near perfect song", one of the only songs on my iTunes playlist to get a perfect 5!

It may be one fo the best U2 songs in recent memory, but the cd mastering virtually ruins the song. The Versions on the 2 live DVDs make up for it.

Admittedly, I am put off by their attempt to make COBL the "new Streets" in their live show(particularly with the use of floodlights)

u2fp

europop2005 said:
COBL, Kite, and Vertigo...so your the one that came up with the MTV playlist...

great song yes...just kinda iffy on the "best song since kite and vertigo"

Oh, ok. Sorry I came up with the MTV playlist. Does MTV even play videos anymore? And was there an official video for Kite? Please let me know where I can find it as that's one my all time favs.

And yes, COBL is one of U2's best ever and one of the FEW post Achtung songs that will stand the test of time.

Peace.

:up: Good to see people seeing past the "Streets part II blah blah" hype.
To me the first classic since One and the first 00's song that may qualify as a classic.

Where's all the haters? Man! 11 replies and they're still in hiding!

You can see where this song stands with me. It was my username, my avatar for a long while.

I was listening to hutdab when I got it, and the first four tracks were alright.

Then I heard COBL and the deal was done.

I needed every second of music U2 had ever made.

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmme

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmme

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmme won't leave me as i am...

As an opener it's good.

But the way it was used in the European gigs...

the sun had gone down... the flicker of pixels on the big screen here, there and all over the place... the rumble of excitement in the crowd... the show moved into a much higher gear!

:hyper:

COBL_04 said:
Where's all the haters? Man! 11 replies and they're still in hiding!

You can see where this song stands with me. It was my username, my avatar for a long while.

I was listening to hutdab when I got it, and the first four tracks were alright.

Then I heard COBL and the deal was done.

I needed every second of music U2 had ever made.

COBL = Streets part 2 :p

Oh you look so beautiful tonight ....:blahblah:

:mad:

Spinning_head said:
As an opener it's good.

But the way it was used in the European gigs...

the sun had gone down... the flicker of pixels on the big screen here, there and all over the place... the rumble of excitement in the crowd... the show moved into a much higher gear!

:hyper:

All I Want Is You -> City Of Blinding Lights = :drool:

it'll close the first part of the show in the next tour... or as I like to call it: "fake Goodbye Nº1"

COBL is great at parts and bland at others. It's best live, and I mean actually live, when you're at the concert, not just a live recording.

But personally, I'd take almost anything off of War, UF, Joshua, R&H, Achtung, Zooropa, or Pop over it.

But that's more a credit to how fucking amazing every song on each of those records is than anything else.

Still, COBL is very, very overrated, imo, at least in comparison to U2's catalog.

I've adored COBL since first hearing it at the mini BBC concert. It will stand the test of time IMO. :bow:

I prefer COBL as opener. IMO, it's the perfect song to open the show. Seing and hearing it in the beginning gives me goosebumps. It's so much better live than on the album, just because of the atmosphere it creates as an opener.

xaviMF22 said:

COBL = Streets part 2 :p

Oh you look so beautiful tonight ....:blahblah:

:mad:

:lmao: How would I know it would be you to get in first? :wink:

Ah well, you're a pink floyd lover and I can forgive you. Somewhat.

And I agree it was awesome as an opener.

I think of it as 'Streets part II. It was certainly the song I liked on initial playing of 'Bomb.
How praytell does the CD mastering ruin this song?

Back
Top Bottom