City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gherman said:

Because to me is dry, boring and does nothing to dig up my emotions. It sounds "plastic" to me. People here like "wierd" and "different" which is cool and thats your taste. Zooropa is just not exiting to me, Achtung Baby is, HTDAAB is because it bleeds emotion. Sure its not adventerous and doesn't push the bounderies but its simple, straight up music and it stirs up emotions in me the Zooropa doen't even come close to. Its your opinion but when people start threads like this thy are not doing for the sake of starting a thread or starting conversation they are starting it to start conflict. I hate Zooropa and I will always let it be known but that doesn't mean its not a great album I just don't like but you don't see me starting a fucking thread about it.

Zooropa never stuck with me either. It seems almost like the entire album was played into MacPhisto irony. It makes it good live, but the album itself never impressed me. The only studio version I liked on it was Stay.

We hear about the words and the guitar...

Larry's drumming live kicks ass. It's so much better live than the album, because he's playing mostly on the snare except for the chorus. It's great.

Zootlesque said:

gherman, I don't think you can say that it's fact. How do you know if the people who make these threads aren't genuinly expressing their dislike for a certain song or album? They may not necessarily have the intent of stirring shit up. Only Mr. Brau1 does that. ;)

:lmao:

phillyfan26 said:

Zooropa never stuck with me either. It seems almost like the entire album was played into MacPhisto irony. It makes it good live, but the album itself never impressed me. The only studio version I liked on it was Stay.

I agree with Stay. A great song all the way around but thats the thing its the least "Zooropa-ish" song on the album too me. Too me it stands out alone as a seperate great piece of work.

U2Man said:
fine, let me spell it out for you.

1. this thread isn't about crumbs, or the alternate version of the song.

2. this is not the mp3 forum, nor is this forum the place to request mp3s.

i'm frankly getting sick of you having something smart to have to my replies. cut it out.

that really isn't much of an alternate version of Crumbs is it?

Wasn't that DVD filmed after the album was complete?
I'm pretty sure it was, not positive.
I can find reports that the album was done in July 2004, which makes perfect sense.

If so that would make it essentially a rehearsal of Crumbs, a not-so-good one at that. Yeah, I gotta tell ya, if you think that version is better than the one on the album I don't know what you hear.
It's one thing to think the song is a stinker but to prefer that half-assed version, I just don't get it.

U2DMfan said:
that really isn't much of an alternate version of Crumbs is it?

Wasn't that DVD filmed after the album was complete?
I'm pretty sure it was, not positive.
I can find reports that the album was done in July 2004, which makes perfect sense.

If so that would make it essentially a rehearsal of Crumbs, a not-so-good one at that. Yeah, I gotta tell ya, if you think that version is better than the one on the album I don't know what you hear.
It's one thing to think the song is a stinker but to prefer that half-assed version, I just don't get it.

First off, this thread is a stinker. COBL is amazing. I just have two grips, but their rather insignificant (I wish the studio recording sounded more like the song sounds live, except for edge's vocals sometimes annoy me live).

I think what people are saying, in regards to Crumbs - and I think this relates to one of my grips about COBL - is that the "alternate" version sounds more real and authentic than the album version. Obviously the quality isn't the greatest - you can barely hear Adam - but you get a feeling of how great the song can be. On the album there is far too much production and gloss.
The thing that so many here love about Mercy is how emotionally raw it sounds. Crumbs, although stylistically different, could also have this feel, and yet it sounds like a run of the mill happy song.
Likewise, the album version of COBL doesn't capture the feeling of the live version.
This isn't to say that you can't have an emotionally raw song well-produced...to me Miracle Drug fits this bill. (Plus that song has been a help as I watched my Grandpa die)

blueyedpoet said:

I think what people are saying, in regards to Crumbs - and I think this relates to one of my grips about COBL - is that the "alternate" version sounds more real and authentic than the album version. Obviously the quality isn't the greatest - you can barely hear Adam - but you get a feeling of how great the song can be. On the album there is far too much production and gloss.

The whole album is that way. It's a crap album in terms of sound.
And in terms of overall song quality, well, we can debate that all day long. You cannot debate how crappy the album sounds. It's just bad.

I think with Crumbs, it needs the two guitars and the overdubbed vocals to work. That HQ studio version, well I think people like it because it shows them a hint of what this album could have been had U2 let loose of these songs when they had some vibrance instead of re-recording them to get absolutely everything right and even wrong sometimes. So I agree, it is raw.

Yet if you make the argument here that the album needs to be more raw and that Native Son, ABOY alternate and Xanax and Wine should be on this album without a fucking single hesitation and people get riled up. People want to beleive they got the best from U2 and they didn't, quite simply they didn't. And I didn't even mention Mercy or Smile, which is one of my favorites.

Some people got into U2 recently because of the glossy glare of a great pop single and learned that they back catalogue was as good or better, they don't want the likes of me trampling on their joy, that's fine, I try to keep it to a minimum, but you can't convince some around here that U2 made two great or evern very good albums in a row. We still hope that U2 finds a creative vein that doesn't include the gloss of fuckign banal pop music.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

I think with Crumbs, it needs the two guitars and the overdubbed vocals to work. That HQ studio version, well I think people like it because it shows them a hint of what this album could have been had U2 let loose of these songs when they had some vibrance instead of re-recording them to get absolutely everything right and even wrong sometimes. So I agree, it is raw.

I hate to quote myself but wanted to expand.

I play this song on my guitar and sing along, I think it's a pretty damn good song all by itself. I even downloaded Brau and his girl singing and playing this song and thought it was quite good as well. Translation=I think it's a pretty damn good song.

But for U2, the bar is higher, I guess is the best way to say it.
Bono really nails that low range on this song, and the mid range give such a great harmony on the overdub. The two guitars have a similar effect, a fuller sound.

I guess the idea is, I think U2 is better with a full sound. But manufacturing that sound really kills the whole experience.

An example, Stay, a simple guitar lick, simple bass riff, simple synth part and drums, they use the synth and the atmospeherics to fill in the spaces.

We talk about wanting more raw U2, but I don't think we would be more happy with more raw U2.

WE want WOMANFISH U2, raw loud ass guitar, fill all the spaces.
why does Edge use the delay effect on nearly every song?
To fill the spaces. Why did Bono use his voice so big in so many songs? Well, because he could, but also to fill the spaces.

The regular pop song that goes D-A-G is defeated by the song that plays with D and A as if it were a cat on a string, bouncing back and forth filling the spaces.

Then dropping in the G to surprise you, the momentum shift, the change. The spaces are filled, people feel the atmosphere in between the space, it's a constant rhythmatic pulse. A continuation of the moment,.

Streets takes you in a similar manner, the muted strings rhythmically push you, and the echo/delay fills the spaces.

On and on, in the 90's the synth backdrop of Zooropa or countless others filled the spaces, and then boom....

they decided to drop all that....well kinda and drop the effects on BOno's voice, and really it's not doing it for a lot of people.
But the direct approach, the gloss of the direct approach, fuck the spaces, there are no spaces in pop music, it's filled with direct hook.

Its all there, its a beautiful day, toss in a delay/echo so people know it's U2. blah blah

Whiskey rules.

And listening to The Downward Spiral.
I remember seeing this shit on PPV at Woodstock 94.,
In the mud, overground baby.

Last edited:
COBL is one of their best, for me. Just thinking today I should add it to my faves/profile. It's electric...

Back
Top Bottom