City of Blinding Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKONE

Acrobat
Is this in the top 5 (and I agree its impossible to actually pick a top 5) of all U2 songs. Its fucking brilliant!! Brilliant.

I think to the 'casual fan' (hate that phrase) it's just U2 trying to emulate Streets.

If it was another band singing we would accuse them of ripping off Streets I know that.

I used to think that I didn't like it that much, but then I noticed it was top of my iTunes most played list. It's not any more, but I'll reserve judgement on it for the moment.

I believe it is their best song in years and COBL is in my top 5 (although it is fifth!!)

04-08-2006 02:48 AM -

J_NP said:
It was actually one of the songs that I was really excited to see in the concert , probably the best song of the album live.

How does compare , very simple , it's the streets of the 00s.

I love COBL, but it's declined in my opinion lately. I can barely listen to the studio version these days due to the production. The live version with Edge's extended slide intro is godly. :drool:

Axver said:
I love COBL, but it's declined in my opinion lately. I can barely listen to the studio version these days due to the production. The live version with Edge's extended slide intro is godly. :drool:

The album version is good, the live versions are AMAZING. The guitar is moved up to the front a lot more than the keyboards, and that moment, when experienced LIVE, with the confetti coming down and Bono just feet in front of me, with his arms raised towards the Heavens, is etched in2 my memory and heart 4ever.

I think its the best song on Bomb. Top 5 U2 song? Not sure about that, maybe. Should know in a few years, thats when I can tell if a song has staying power for me. When you are still listening to it several years after the album was released. I do think the live version is way better than the studio version though.

Blue Room said:
I think its the best song on Bomb. Top 5 U2 song? Not sure about that, maybe. Should know in a few years, thats when I can tell if a song has staying power for me. When you are still listening to it several years after the album was released. I do think the live version is way better than the studio version though.

Exactly I mean , we all had plenty time to digest all the previous songs , like someone like 2 or at least 1 song per album .....

Like I follow , Gloria , NYD , Pride , Streets , One , Stay , Please , Walk On ........ All these songs u already and already hold them greatly , It's unfair to the new songs or with the older songs to come and say this is better than this , What Really matters I think is if the new song has the potential of earning its place in the rank of bests and who knows depending on taste actually beat some classics

I think I've let clear many times that i Think it has the potential

xaviMF22 said:
its in my bottom 100 :up:

Behind 90 Radiohead songs ? :drool:

Last edited:
If it had been released in 1993, it would be an all time favorite on this board.

Look at "Stay(Far Away, So Close!)".

It's as much a "typical" & "safe" sounding U2 song as "City Of Blinding Lights."

Last edited:
Songs like Fast Cars, Stateless, Ground Beneath etc. that are actually really good get as much respect here as anything from the early 90s or Achtung Baby.

I do like City Of Blinding Lights, mainly for the bass and the musical buildup to the chorus but I don't think it's anywhere near even my top 30 U2 songs!

MrBrau1 said:
If it had been released in 1993, it would be an all time favorite on this board.

Look at "Stay(Far Away, So Close!)".

It's as much a "typical" & "safe" sounding U2 song as "City Of Blinding Lights."

I think Stay has a darkness and pain to it, thats why i kind of sink into the song sometimes. It's a song that just goes along and then bono bursts out the chorus with edge.

COBL is a big rock pop song, I love it alot and it's probably my second favourite song on HTDAAB, but I think the album version sounds too tinny and way cluttered.

It would be a top 5 song for any other band, past and present, but for u2, I would say top 15.

what do you think about the milan dvd version? for me, it was a complete let down. I do love the song, though. Such a great power live. But certainly not in my top 5-

The Disciple said:

The album version is good, the live versions are AMAZING. The guitar is moved up to the front a lot more than the keyboards, and that moment, when experienced LIVE, with the confetti coming down and Bono just feet in front of me, with his arms raised towards the Heavens, is etched in2 my memory and heart 4ever.

This is exactly right. It was as powerful as any U2 moment I've ever had.

As great as the song is, I think it is a monumental task at this point for a newer song to make it into people's top 5 all-time. It can definitely happen, but too many of their songs have been around for 20+ years and hold special places in people's hearts.

The live version is solid, granted. It's probably top 5 on Bomb. Honestly I'd drop it for the next tour...actually which songs from Bomb do you think make it onto the next tour?

I'm a bigger fan of the album version than the live versions (at least listening from bootlegs and other CDs of concerts).

The album cut just seems perfect, especially the way Bono sings it.

Back
Top Bottom