Christmas giveaway completed...come read the winning entries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
OK, the essays are in, the votes have been counted, the lot is cast, the recounts are in.
wink.gif
Sula's Christmas U2 giveaway ( http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/016009.html ) is now closed.

The worst part about doing something like this is that you have to pick some people and not others. And I'm very sorry that I had to limit the number to just 5. Everyone who sent something, sent something good, and I enjoyed reading them all very much. So please, please, please, if I didn't pick your essay, don't be upset.

The choices I made were based on a combination of things. Like I stated earlier, I wanted to try to get some U2 love across the ocean to fans that were unable to see our boys this time around. And I wanted to post a variety of styles in writing. So without further ado, here are the people I have chosen:
  • Rainbow (Israel)
  • ouizy (USA)
  • U2girl (Slovenia)
  • follower (Brazil)
  • ~LemonLady~ (USA)

As originally posted, they will be able to choose any one of five gifts and I'll be mailing them out hopefully in time for Christmas.
  • New Years Eve 1989
  • Zoo Europa
  • PopMart Sarajevo
  • Elevation Boston 4
  • Miscellaneous U2 on Video including "Making of the Joshua Tree, U2 on the Simpsons, Outside It's America, and Beautiful Day premiere on VH1, and more" (sorry, I can only do standard VHS...if you live outside the USA and have a multi-system you should be able to play it, but no PAL)

And I guess that wraps it up. Thank you to everyone for participating and again I'm sorry I can't just throw a U2 concert and fly everyone over for it. *sigh* But in lieu of that, from one U2 fan to another, Merry Christmas.
smile.gif

-sula

p.s. I will be posting the winning entries below.

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

I still think this is a great thing you're doing

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Rainbow:
Now seriously, I have to say, I have only become a fan after I'd bought ATYCLB about year ago, up until then I had Achtung Baby laying around the house and I never gave it a fair chance... But, after I'd heard ATYCLB and I just fell in love with it, I started listening to Achtung and discovered how truly wonderful it is... So, then began my journey of collecting U2 songs and I couldn't believe how much I've missed all these years! I've been a fan of many artists in my life (hey, I'm only 19 but still...), but U2 are the only ones who practically had me with chills running through me when listening to many of their songs... Today for example, I was listening to Who's Gonna Ride You Wild Horses with my ear-phones, and there were those chills again, and let me tell you - it felt great! Bono's voice can do that to you, ya know ;-) I just can't explain it, I'm not a very emotional person, but there's this *MAGIC* in their music, and theirs alone... You can feel it in Bono's lyrics and vocals, with that amazing voice of his, and the way he sometimes punctuates words.. and in Edge's guitar playing (and his backing vocals) which is also wonderful and unique... in Adam's bass playing and in Larry's drumming, which adds so much to every songs, and each time in a different way. So, what I'm trying to say is - when listening to U2, what's important is feeling the music, experiencing it, listening to the words and the sounds, thinking with your heart instead of your head, and discovering what the meaning of the songs is to you, because that's what's so great about U2's music - each and every person can find completely different meaning in each and every song.

ouizy:
It all started March 30, 1985.
It was my 11th birthday, and my father had taken me and a couple of friends to a hockey game. We went to go see the New Jersey Devils play in Continental Airlines Arena (then Brendan Byrne Arena), always more commonly known as Meadowlands Arena. My father looked up at the flashing marquee and asked me who U2 was and if I wanted to go to see their upcoming concert. They were playing for three nights and he told me the concert was going to be called the Unforgettable Fire. I was in the fifth grade and really had not heard much of them, but my reply was, "...thanks Dad, but I think their music is a little too hard..." I will always regret not taking him up on that offer.

Sixteen years, seven live shows, briefly meeting the band, traveling to Dublin, a ton of records, cassettes, and CD's later I still listen to the band on a daily basis. Nothing changes, and nothing will change even years after there is no U2. Why? Because I, as well as many other people, have let U2 become more than just a band I listen to, but part of my life.

U2 is the type of band that seems to be omnipresent. Their music has changed over time, and their catalogue is so rich that you can find a song to parallel your thoughts and feelings at almost any given time. From the Irish roots rock of the early albums, to their journey and discovery of America on Joshua and Rattle, their re-formation and the sound of a changing Europe through Achtung and Zoo, their own diverse music interests on Pop, to the soul searching, drum/bass backboned, guitar wailing rock anthems of ATYCLB, the band has moved in and out of every corner of rock and roll and has through the writing of its own history summarized the movement of rock and roll over the last 20 or so years. But what does this all mean to me? A hell of a lot.

When I am in a rocking mood, but feel that the music out there today is just a bit too produced for me, I listen to something like Gloria or the Electric Co, when I am down and want to hear something that is going to pull at my heartstrings out comes One Tree Hill, Bad, Running to Stand Still, or With or Without You. What other songs have the gospel and patriotic significance of In God's Country, Heartland, Hawkmoon 269, Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town? When The Fly was the first single released off of Achtung I have to admit I did not get it. Only after a trip through Europe, especially Berlin did I finally really FEEL that album (and Zooropa for that matter). Through One, Mysterious Ways, and Zooropa you can feel the gray November days of Europe. Pop had is share of bad criticism, but I would fight to the death with anyone who was not convinced that Gone is one of U2's greatest songs. Lastly, and of course most currently ATYCLB. Elevation rocks, Stuck in a Moment makes you ponder, and as a grown man I can admit that In a Little While brings a tear to my eye. That is what U2 means to me, emotion.

As a designer, I have had an extra fascination with the band as I am intrigued by their stage sets and all the concepts they have used on past tours. I am an architect and am enamored by how the band goes into such detail in designing their shows. During a trip to Europe in 1996 I had a day in London where I was by myself and had nothing to do. I decided to look up Mark Fisher (U2's stage designer), as I knew he was based in London. After a couple of wrong turns, some subway rides, and directions from some locals, I found his flat. In the pouring rain I knocked on the door and to my surprise he let me in, sat me down in his dining room, and we had a great conversation about his designs for U2 and all the other bands he has worked for. That was definitely a highlight in my life.

From London I went on to Dublin where I painted a quote from One Tree Hill on the wall of the original studio on Windmill Lane. I also went out and found Bono's house on the outskirts of Dublin. These were some very meaningful and fun days in my life. Some can say I am a crazed fan, but some can just say that the band and its music really means a lot to me. U2's music is full of emotion, and their songs are outlets to show our emotions, rely on to help us in time of need, and kick our asses when they need to be kicked.

My U2 fanaticism runs the gamut from the crazed music collection and archive, to tracing their steps through Dublin, to checking updates every day as to what they are playing, where they are, and how they are doing it. My biggest problem is a shallow pocketbook, and I have been limited in the funds I have been able to put forward to seeing them this year. That does not stop me, as my head is still virtually in every show they are playing and I get excited when any website lists the last night's setlist. This year I, along with everyone else, was unable to see them play the club date at Irving Plaza here in New York, but I was able to stand in the bitter cold outside to catch a glimpse of the band and listen to the show on the radio. As the show ended I walked to the backstage door and waited for them to come out. To my surprise they all came out slowly and I shook the hands of Adam, Larry, and Edge and told Bono it was a great show (at least from the outside it was. And it was. I was able to see them the last go around in Madison Square Garden and the band played a set that can best be described as "on fire." To see the band in the year 2001 play Out of Control and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock back to back almost made me jump out of my skin.

To me, U2 is an institution. There really is not anything else in my life that I have put as much emotion or effort into over such a long period of time. Sixteen years is a long time to appreciate anything for, and the band still surprises me. I cannot really say that U2 is a way of life, but I can definitely say that they are a big part of my life whether they know it or not!

U2girl:
...what it is about U2 that makes them so special to me and so many others around the world. The first album that i really felt connected with (as far as the atmosphere and the lyrics go) was AB. I can really relate to uncertainty and self doubt because i experience those things a lot. The second was ATYCLB. It's rare that U2's music is explicitly positive and optimistic, and so it's all the more special. It can lift my spirits, and it can comfort me.

I sat down today and listened through all of U2's music i own. It felt like a sonic journey, an unusual experience as i never ever listened to U2's music like that before. I noticed that i tend to pay attention to the lyrics more at 80's U2, while i tend to concentrate on the "groove" or "feel" of the music at 90's U2. And i tend to concentrate on Bono's voice on ATYCLB. But in general: whatever the time period may be, U2's songs just seem to "click" with me the way no other band does. There's the electric guitar unlike anything i've ever heard, there's the voice that touches me beyond what any other singer could, and there's the confident, tight rhythm section. Overall, the band's sound is incredibly exciting, fresh, and electrifying. To sum things up, U2/Bono can be: - passionate, raw (War album, early years) - dreamy, painting images in lyrics (UF) - emotional, filling up the room with the sound (JT) - very open to various influences, but maintaining a distinctive sound (R&H, AB, Zooropa, Pop) - intimate, relaxed (ATYCLB)

I just thought of another image when i listen to U2: at the opening keyboards to Babyface, i imagine an empty room, with lightbulbs on the ceiling going on and off. And Trying to throw your arms around the world keyboards just sound healing to me. Be it So cruel (the song that got me into U2) or any other U2 song, it's sort of like an addiction. I know exactly how the song goes, i heard it countless times-and yet it captures me again and again. It's magic, it has spark and fire inside. I don't think words can describe it. U2 is the only band where i can actually imagine images to their music. If it's Heartland, i imagine driving around in a desert in a car with no roof. Just me and all that space. If it's So cruel (at the "love like a screaming flower, love, dying every hour"), i imagine Bono standing in a dark room, with white light above him, and he's reaching up. If it's Please, i can imagine Bono on his knees, reaching out to the camera at the chorus. If it's Walk to the water, i imagine this misty, dreamy place where the characters of the song are walking. I listened to this song a few days ago just as the sun set and the clowds got that rosy touch...beautiful. If it's Who's gonna ride your wild horses (the "don't turn around" part), i imagine a woman running away, and the other character is looking sadly at her.

Also, some of U2's songs have a personal meaning for me-no other band has achieved that. For example, i always liked Mysterious ways as a compliment, an hommage to women. It made me feel extra proud of being one. Stuck in a moment gets to me because i have been feeling "stuck" recently in the past, and it is comforting, much like Walk on. Last but not least, Bono-at first it was the "color" of his voice that got my attention, and over the years as my English got better, i began to understand the words. But to be fair, just as much as lyrics, what is amazing is the way he sings them. From the torment of the ending of "One tree hill" and the yearning vocals of JT, to pushing his voice to the limit on Rattle and Hum, to mysterious whispery way of AB, to the sharp voice on "One", to various effects on Zooropa and Pop, and now, the aged, soulful voice on ATYCLB - he always is credible and persuasive (whatever the topic of the lyric may be), always giving his heart out.

Additional reasons why U2 is my favorite band: the way Bono connects with the fans. Not just live shows, even videos - he has such an intense stare at the camera. His eyes are so piercing he gets your attention no matter what, and he makes you look back at him. (then again, that could just be my imagination as blue eye color is my favorite) Also, he can make me wanna hug him when the lyrics or his voice are sad, i just melt at his romantic lyrics, i feel cuddly (and let's leave it at that
smile.gif
) at certain songs, and it brings me happiness when the songs are optimistic. He's the only singer that can do all those things. Sometimes it feel weird, since this is their passion and way more than just a job (though that's what they do for a living), it takes them away from their families and friends...and all i can do is buy the albums and listen to the songs. I mean, it's just a pastime, something i do in my spare time, while they put their hearts in it. You know? But i guess that's something too. Who knows, maybe i'll get a chance to say "thank you" to the guys in person someday? I can only hope i get to see our boys live someday. I was too young at Zoo tv, i wasn't into Popmart, and i didn't make it to Elevation. (though i entered two competitions). U2 has always been the soundtrack of my life, in a way. Whatever was going on in my life, there was always some U2 song that fitted my emotions perfectly.

follower:
Brief moments of my life as a U2 fan

I'm a U2 fan. I'm proud of being a U2 fan. This band have touched my heart and soul in a way I had never thought it would be possible, for more than 16 years. I decided to tell you a little bit about two specific moments or periods in my life as a fan of this outstanding band, because the whole journey would be too long. I apologise in advance for any mistakes you may find in my writing, concerning the english language, it's not my native idiom, but I hope I have conveyed my ideas in a way you may capture my feelings.

Everything started with Bad from Live Aid and I know it's the way it got started for many people throughout the world, so I?m sorry if it sounds repetitive, but it was such a precious an unique moment in my life that I remember it clearly, even 16 years after. A guitar sound I had never heard before, something ethereal, the bass and drums sounding like a heartbeat, the passionate voice of the singer (and I didn?t even understand what he was singing at that time), his leap of faith. I got mesmerised immediately in a way that I couldn't take my eyes away from the TV screen. I think I was led to another place, like a limbo where I could loose myself on, a brief moment in time when I felt I was special and blessed for being able to witness such a marvellous performance by a rock and roll band still unknown to me. I bought The Unforgettable Fire LP the day after and War and Boy a few months later. The Unforgettable Fire was their first record released in my country, Brasil. The previous ones were released here after that. I only got October a few years later, around the time of Rattle and Hum, my husband got me an Argentine copy, because he couldn't find a national one, it was very sweet of him.

Then it comes The Joshua Tree, a special period in my life because I was pregnant of my first child when the album was released, and the things were not that easy for me at that time. I remember listening to that album non-stop on a daily basis when I was at home, at night. I have worked at least 8 hours per day all my life so the amount of time I have to be at home has been really short. The Joshua Tree songs worked like a balsam for all my troubles and sorrows, every single song on it, they were like a fresh breeze after a tiring and sufocating day of hard work. I truly believe that the child inside my belly got used to listen to those songs, because after my son was born I remember vividly what was the best way to calm him down when he was crying, and that was listening to Running To Stand Still holding him tight on my chest, his little head leaning on my shoulder, his sweet breath upon my face. Those were perfect moments I won't ever forget, just him and me and U2 music.

It has been really a journey through all these years, U2, their music and me. Sometimes wonderful moments of joy, sometimes desperated moments of sorrow. Nevertheless, they have been with me during all my life and I feel I can always count on their songs and message to warm up my heart and to get me moved, whether is to make me smile or to make me weep. Right now I'm listening to Bad from Live Aid and I have tears stubbornly rolling down my face. There's no other band like U2. I love them unconditionally. And I will follow them forever.

This entry was originally submitted to a school newspaper by LemonLady. I'll let her give the background..."There was a lame editorial in our campus paper about how sick they were of hearing U2 on the news when the events of sept. 11 were being covered. This pissed me off, because they also said it was wrong of us to "steal" U2's music about events in Ireland, and use them for events in the USA."

LemonLady:
Upon waking on Tuesday (sept. 11th), I was reeling from the images on TV of the terrorist attacks on my country. I was even more shaken when I learned that the crash of Flight 93 in PA occurred a quarter mile from my great aunt's farm, and that some of the wreckage was littered over her beautiful property. Thankfully none of my family or friends were injured in this tragedy.

I didn't want to go to my Tuesday classes, but I forced myself to go where I had to sit through classmates' tears and more gruesome images from the television. When I got home that afternoon, the first thing I did after calling my parents again was to take comfort in my stereo. Music plays an enormous part in my life, especially during that week. It keeps me sane and like a good friend, offers a shoulder to cry on. The first thing I thought to listen to was John Lennon's "Imagine". Then I spent the rest of the afternoon tearfully bonding with U2.

Unlike some of the BG News staff, listening to "Peace on Earth" and "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" helped me to better deal with the situation. Why does it matter that the lyrics to "Peace on Earth" and "Sunday Blood Sunday" were written about bombings and massacres in Ireland? When observing both situations, what it comes down to is that innocent people were ruthlessly killed, all in the name of stupid and insignificant clashings of political and religious views. To say that these lyrics do not apply to our situation is absurd.

"Peace on Earth" is a beautiful but heart-wrenching plea to the world. It begins by stating, "Heaven on Earth, we need it now". Then a later verse describes all too well what I've been seeing on CNN lately: "They're reading names out over the radio/ All the folks the rest of us won't get to know/ Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Breda/ Their lives are bigger than, any big idea."

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" also offers an alarmingly realistic description of Tuesday's events: "I can't believe the news today/ I can't close my eyes and make it go away/ How long, how long must we sing this song/ How long, how long?/ Tonight, we can be as one tonight/ Broken bottles under children's feet/ Bodies strewn across the dead end street/...This many lost but tell me who has won?" These lyrics are precisely echoing everyone's sentiments across the country right now.

I don't think that this has anything to do with "how fair it is of us to grab these songs for our own patriotic profit". To be thinking of something as insignificant as that during this period of turmoil in the U.S. is really ridiculous. Music brings people together, and music helps us to heal. Listening to the new U2 album now, the songs carry completely different meanings to me than they did last fall. But it is a blessing, because these new double meanings have offered myself and many others some much needed comfort during this time of hurt and confusion.

I leave you with something I heard from a friend of mine living in Australia. She was listening to the radio after hearing about the attacks on the U.S. The radio DJ was very upset and offered his condolences to our country. Then he said that he didn't believe in God, but that he knew of a song that was as powerful and as meaningful as God. He then played U2's "One".

These are all so good-that's why I didn't enter. I never 'win' anything-and I'm too scared and lazy to try
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for writing these you guys and gals-very enjoyable to read.
smile.gif
Good work!

And thanks Sula for bringing such a 'ray of sunshine' to this place.
smile.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Those were all breathtakingly beautiful, yet with raw, unyielding emotion written in them. Thanks everyone for sharing your heart about how U2 has moved you, and thank you sis for doing such a kind gesture that I know comes from such a beautiful heart. Once again, congratulations to all!

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

I just got online now, and i noticed the title of the topic, so i thought i'd see who won. (seriously, i did not expect to make it in top 5)

Yay!!!! This feels so amazing - i don't think i ever won any competition till now. It feels even better because it was a competition about U2.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I read the other entries and i must say, they're all incredible - i sure feel humble with my contribution. Congratulations to all of you.

Let me just say that quizy's dedication to track down the stage designer is fantastic, and that follower's memory of holding her son and calming him down with U2's music is one of the most beautiful things i've ever read. Just as it is thrilling to read how U2 connects with new generations of fans with each album (Rainbow), and heart-warming to read how their music can affect people across oceans (LadyLemon).

Thank you sula, for being patient with my constant additions to the essay, for reading it, for overwriting it, copying it here.
But most of all, thank you for liking it and seeing it worthy of making it all the way out here. And thank you for giving me a new opportunity to fall in love with U2's music again, in exchange for some written words of mine.
smile.gif

A very special thanks goes to U2, who inspired all of this. They deserve all the credit in my opinion, as this wouldn't be possible without them.

Hopefully i managed to present what U2 is to me.

Now, if i may, i'd like to take my pick. I heard songs from both Zoo TV and Popmart tours (courtesy of a bootleg and radio/TV shows), our local TV promised to broadcast Slane 1, but i was always interested in the JT tour.
So i choose New Year's Eve 1989 (from Dublin, right?).
I hope the other winners of this competition don't mind me picking already - i know this must seem greedy as i should have waited till all of them read this.
If anyone has their eye set on New Years Eve bootleg, i'm more than willing to change my pick to Popmart from Sarajevo.

ps: I can't believe i did it! I keep looking back in here. You know, i don't think it has sunk with me yet, i don't think i can grasp what just happened.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-07-2001).]

OMG!! I can't believe it, I've never won anything in my life!!
Okay, first of all - thank you Sula so very much, you're the greatest. This kind of thing can only happen with U2 fans.
Also, I've read all the other winning entries, and I've gotta say - they're amazing, I simply cannot believe I'm among the winners, honestly!
So again, thank you, and an e-mail to you is on the way
smile.gif

Thank%20You%20Central%20Image.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rainbow (edited 12-07-2001).]

Bethany, I?m moved. What else can I say? You liked my silly and kinda cheesy little story...but it?s a true little story, a small part of me.

Btw, great stories, I loved them, congrats my friends.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas
Muito obrigada e Feliz Natal

And you got another mail.
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 12-07-2001).]

Congrats to all the winners! Your entries are all very beautiful- reading them made me want to cry!
smile.gif
I love hearing how U2 touches people in ways nothing else can. Wonderful entries!

And Sula, Salome's right- this is a great thing you're doing.
smile.gif

Sula, what you're doing is really great.

It's funny: while U2 are expected to win countless awards, it's U2 fans who are giving acceptance speeches!

smile.gif

Congratulations to the five of you, and Sula!

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Bethany, again thanks for doing this for us. It's just so sweet and kind of you. i read all the other entries, and I just want to say that they are all phenomenal!
smile.gif
Yes, I too can't believe that I was picked. Like I said I had planned on writing something different, but school has been busy lately and I didn't have the time. But I'm glad you enjoyed my article that the paper rejected!
wink.gif
Again thank you so much.
I just sent you an email...

------------------
Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly

rainbow, ouizy, U2girl, follower and ~LemonLady~ that was some great writing. very impressive.
sula i don't think you realize quite how cool you are for doing this for the fan community.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

wow sula,
those were beautiful. I know you didn't write them but you called them into fruition!

Some of my favorite parts (sorry - i can't resist. plus it's fun when pl compliment your work)
smile.gif

Rainbow: But, after I'd heard ATYCLB and I just fell in love with it, I started listening to Achtung and discovered how truly wonderful it is... So, then began my journey of collecting U2 songs and I couldn't believe how much I've missed all these years!
This is so touching to me! It shows how a fan of two years or two months or twenty years are all equally effected by U2 and important to them.

Ouizy: My father looked up at the flashing marquee and asked me who U2 was and if I wanted to go to see their upcoming concert. They were playing for three nights and he told me the concert was going to be called the Unforgettable Fire.
wow. wowwwww. i got shivers reading that!
Ouizy:In the pouring rain I knocked on the door and to my surprise he let me in, sat me down in his dining room, and we had a great conversation about his designs for U2 and all the other bands he has worked for.
another wow, b/c I just love how U2 inspires so many people to reach their goals, make new "heroes" where they'd least it expect it, apply their talents to the band's desires- plus everyone U2 works with are wonderful, generous people. it's so amazing, their friends.

U2girl: Also, some of U2's songs have a personal meaning for me-no other band has achieved that. For example, i always liked Mysterious ways as a compliment, an hommage to women. It made me feel extra proud of being one.
I loved these examples- of how they make you feel, etc. Esp Mysterious Ways. I witnessed this 100% in Montreal- every single women in that GA heart was grooving like she was the only one there, to her own anthem. It was incredible!
U2Girl: U2 has always been the soundtrack of my life, in a way. Whatever was going on in my life, there was always some U2 song that fitted my emotions perfectly.
bingo!

follower:but it was such a precious an unique moment in my life that I remember it clearly, even 16 years after. A guitar sound I had never heard before, something ethereal, the bass and drums sounding like a heartbeat, the passionate voice of the singer (and I didn?t even understand what he was singing at that time), his leap of faith. I got mesmerised immediately in a way that I couldn't take my eyes away from the TV screen. I think I was led to another place, like a limbo where I could loose myself on, a brief moment in time when I felt I was special and blessed for being able to witness such a marvellous performance by a rock and roll band still unknown to me.
well if some pl think this is oversaid, i'm not one of them. the way you wrote it i could hear Bad being played- I am so mad I had no idea about u2 then - I must have been around 10, but still- and i really related to the "face against the TV" and that limbo state!

I truly believe that the child inside my belly got used to listen to those songs, because after my son was born I remember vividly what was the best way to calm him down when he was crying, and that was listening to Running To Stand Still holding him tight on my chest, his little head leaning on my shoulder, his sweet breath upon my face. Those were perfect moments I won't ever forget, just him and me and U2 music.
ahhh... sigh... this was beautiful.

LadyLemon:Music plays an enormous part in my life, especially during that week. It keeps me sane and like a good friend, offers a shoulder to cry on. The first thing I thought to listen to was John Lennon's "Imagine". Then I spent the rest of the afternoon tearfully bonding with U2.
LadyLemon, this was gorgeous. And so touching and nearly made me cry again! B/c I remember how I was so upset and I couldn't really cry - it was so fucked up, we all know it- but one day i was driving home from work, and I saw this guy going to get his hair cut, and he was wearing a marines shirt and the pants. and at that exact moment "found" came on the radio and i started crying hysterically. And then u2 held my hand right until the Walk On from London they did...... there are no words for that "performance", imo.
Then he said that he didn't believe in God, but that he knew of a song that was as powerful and as meaningful as God. He then played U2's "One".
oh ..wow!

So, sorry i might have sort of gone off there. But anyway. Thanks Sula, thanks rainbow and LadyLemon and follower and ouizy and U2girl!

stunned olive

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

Devotion And some appreciation
Little heavy rotation Looks good on me

* U2 Take Me Higher *

Wow.

This is so impressive!!! Sula, what a wonderful thing you have done. The winning essays are so moving, and so similar to how U2 has affected (taken over??) my life. This has really moved me.

*group hug!!!!*

U2 love,
-cin

--
I have climbed highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you

Congrats to all who entered and to the special lucky five who won!

LemonLady I am soo upset the rejected your article!!! That was such an awesome response to their ridiculousness, how dare them not print it!

Sula you rock! And all the winners rock too, congrats!!! You've all managed to put into words so much of what I'm feeling.
((((Everyone))))

------------------
One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real disney land , but it was getting pretty late.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

Carrie, April, Sula, U2LA, etc, I just wanted to thank you for the feedback you've given me and everyone else involved with this. I've always wanted to be a writer, and although it needs to come out, sometimes I have a hard time presenting my feelings to the "public" just because it's kind of like a diary, so raw and personal to myself. Anyway, too many margaritas tonight!
smile.gif
I better get my ass in bed!

------------------
Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly

(double post)

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 12-08-2001).]

beautiful honest stuff....this is the type of material I would love to use on all those doubters and critics of the band..there is a deep connection with the fans which you don't see in any ordinary band

out of interest Sula, will you be posting the runners-up entries..I'd be interested to read more
smile.gif

------------------
As I wander through a valley of sleepers, sky torn open with stars bleeding from its veins, pouring out onto nights black soaked curtain, and spread over mother natures scorched earth

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 12-08-2001).]

*bump*

I totally forgot to say thank you to all the people who replied here. I'm glad you enjoyed my entry - it was my pleasure writing it.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-09-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom