Chris Thomas sitings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it was all "scrapped", maybe re-recorded but the fact that OOTS and ABOY are still around is evidence enough that some of the music made it through. Vertigo is Native Son and FMJ and we know they had to have been worling on that with Thomas. One Step CLoser and SYCMIOYO have been around for awhile they had to have been working on those too.

The idea that U2 started over fresh with Lillywhite is a fallacy. They had songs in the bank, just didn't like what they sounded like at the time. Edge said ABOY was done in a few takes, maybe the Thomas version is on the album.

I would expect Thomas to get some nice credit on the finished product.

Inner El Guapo said:
I don't think it was all "scrapped", maybe re-recorded but the fact that OOTS and ABOY are still around is evidence enough that some of the music made it through. Vertigo is Native Son and FMJ and we know they had to have been worling on that with Thomas. One Step CLoser and SYCMIOYO have been around for awhile they had to have been working on those too.

The idea that U2 started over fresh with Lillywhite is a fallacy. They had songs in the bank, just didn't like what they sounded like at the time. Edge said ABOY was done in a few takes, maybe the Thomas version is on the album.

I would expect Thomas to get some nice credit on the finished product.

He didn't get on well with the band or he wasn't good enough. Why should he get credit for recording demos of the band that were already written?

This album would have been ready in January if they had chosen Lilywhite from the start. Chris Thomas saga was a disaster, hopefully will not have affected the final album.

U2 can't work with Thomas, U2 can't work with Nellee Hooper, who didn't see eye to eye with Adam during ATYCLB session, and who produced Hold Me.....which I regard one of their best, if not the best. i read it somewhere that Hooper had a hand in HTDAAB, anybody read that too?
U2 can work with Eno and Lanois, both produced ATYCLB, but U2 were not satisfied with them, you can see the words 'additional production by...' in many songs.
They can work with Iovine, although the result is not very good.
What exactly does a U2 producer need to do?

In the Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree documentary Larry talks about how Daniel Lanois paid more attention to the drums than Steve Lillywhite did, and that was one of the reasons why he liked working with him.

Johnny_Mo said:
U2 can't work with Thomas, U2 can't work with Nellee Hooper, who didn't see eye to eye with Adam during ATYCLB session, and who produced Hold Me.....which I regard one of their best, if not the best. i read it somewhere that Hooper had a hand in HTDAAB, anybody read that too?
U2 can work with Eno and Lanois, both produced ATYCLB, but U2 were not satisfied with them, you can see the words 'additional production by...' in many songs.
They can work with Iovine, although the result is not very good.
What exactly does a U2 producer need to do?

Nellee Hopper started early work on POP, he wasn't there on ATYCLB - it is true they did Hold me... and he is mentioned on the new album.

I think U2 were satisfied with Eno/Lanois, they just wanted a fresh set of ears on the songs and so enlisted additional producers.

Personally I'd like the team Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite/Flood that was on JT/AB to come back.

It was mentioned in the Q interview that U2 scrapped the work that was done with Thomas... It's an interesting mystery considering that before Lillywhite and Lanois came in, they supposedly had 7-8 songs ready to go and needed to finish three songs or something. Hmmmmm....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom