Cheesiest lyric on HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die"

the song would be excellent if not for that line. . . nice try Bono

nuke126 said:
OOTS: "I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want"......... good job Bono, you're a genius. :|

Yeah, I could never understand that. :scratch:

I'll go with "We're the same soul". This album has some great lyrics and lines but some of those lines sound like something that anyone could come up with. You end up feeling like they don't care about the song to throw in something so..... avarage. In this album he seemed to give more attention to the melodies than to the lyrics. I wish Bono would write lyrics like the ones from POP and War! :drool:

Last edited:
I'm starting to mind the unos dos tres catorces, hola/donde esta? in Vertigo.

Other than that, "lay down your guns" verse - too easy and too big a chliche.

Also, majority of Yahweh doesn't do much for me.

Zooropean103 said:
"OH-YOU-LOOK-SO BEAUUUUUTIFUL TONIGHT!"

This may work on a concert, but not on the album!

agreed.

my first listen i thought 'Bono C'mon buddy you can do better than this':angry:

db9

Can't say I really agree with anybody on here, except those who mentioned "Cool down mama." I think the lyrics he sings in the bonus HTDAAB DVD are much better; something like "cool down slow down, cool it love."

I think most people who claim that lyrics are cheesy quite simply don't "get it." It's a cliche, but I'd like to see some of the complainers do better.

Zooropean103 said:
"OH-YOU-LOOK-SO BEAUUUUUTIFUL TONIGHT!"

This may work on a concert, but not on the album!

Are you sure you're not confusing a cheesy melody with a cheesy lyric? I personally think the lyric is great, but the melody is just aweful (and cheesy sounding).

Oh You Look Sooooooooooooooooo fuc'ing Beautiful tonight

repeat...................

"Crumbs" has really been growing on me, but I really have a problem with that "cool down mama" part. It just sounds like one of those scat-singing things he does to provide the vocal to get Larry to "commit to the drum part," as Adam discussed on the dvd. I really wish he would have come up with some better lines for that part.

I love "Oh you look so beautiful tonight." You know that's gonna kill live.

"Little sister, I've been sleeping in the street again. Like...a...stray...dog..."
:eyebrow:

Lancemc said:
rjh deserves another post of the year award I think, that was just...so relevant.

Why thank you......it's nice to know I'm being nominated for the awards.:wink:

Take these shoes
Click clacking down some dead end street
Take these shoes
And make them fit

Gives me a vision of Bono happily skipping down the yellow brick road. :der:

i can't see y some of you dont like the "all the pain before a child is born" or "new born baby's head" lyrics, they're some of the best on the album.

the bad ones are:
"i give you everything that you want, except the thing that you want"
"Cool down mama"

Murray said:
"Little sister, I've been sleeping in the street again. Like...a...stray...dog..."
:eyebrow:

Again, a reference to Bono and Ali's personal relationship. Bono has said in interviews that as a teenager he was 'like a stray dog' sleeping anywhere he could, at other people's houses, couches wherever someone would let him. His mom had died and he was at the time not close with his dad so he didn't like going home. He said that Ali's parents were like extra parents for him, fed him, let him hang around, drove him home in the dark. This added with the other things makes it look more and more like this song is about him and Ali, if you know what he's talking about. These are no half baked words without meaning.

D'oh! said:
1. 'i could never take a chance..........b/w a man and a woman'

apart from that....the lyrics are brilliant...... lyrically, this album is second only to Achtung Baby....

SECOND ONLY TO ACHTUNG BABY??? What about Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Zooropa and Pop? There is no one cheesy lyric on HTDAAB. They're all lame.

Back
Top Bottom