Charts this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxpouliot

War Child
Vertigo this week

Top 100 : 45 (46)
Modern Rock: 4 (18)
Mainstream Rock: 12 (27)
Digital : 1 (-)

() = Last week

Great but a little dissapointed by the top 100 result

Don't know how the top 100 is compiled, but i'm sure not having the CD single in stores yet doesn't help the ranking . Also, the official video isn't out yet, so it should get a boost from that.

Last week charts:

Top Pop Catalog Albums - Best Of 1980-1990 - #38

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #35
Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #46
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #43
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #18
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #27

I'm not surprised about the top 100. The song isn't exactly crossover material(& no retail single) so I think its position is strong considering it major airplay is from Mainstream & Modern Rock stations. None of the other formats will touch this song like they did BD, it's too heavy.

Quite honestly, I am impressed at how well this song is doing. It is a great song. I just didn't think it would take to the charts this well.

All this talk about having no single for retail is no longer relevant. MOST songs do not have a CD single available. And those that do often sell poorly. The Hot 100 is compiled mostly from airplay.

This is what confuses me, though. "Vertigo" did quite well its first week, even though it was relatively low on many charts. "Beautiful Day" charted much higher on the modern rock, mainstream rock and adult contemporary charts, yet still didn't chart as high as "Vertigo" did early on.

This week, "Vertigo" flies up the modern rock and mainstream rock charts, as well as the hot adulte contemporary charts, yet sees a very small increase in the Hot 100. Most odd.

But at least it's a hit! :yes:

These days the TOp 100 is based mostly on airplay. Which is why Eminem debuted so high. Such a small ranking means that Vertigo had absolutely no added radio airplay. Which neans it debuted high b/c it was added by the non-mainstream stations. This is similar to Discoteque.

And whether it is "coomerical sounding" should not matter where it is added. What U2 song has ever sounded "commercial"? There was a time when it didn't matter what the song sounded like, if it was by an artist that the station played, it would be debuted b/c it would be that person.

Clear Channel does not like U2. They like Eminem. Therefore it will not help U2 by putting them on CHR.

This is what I have so far, I didn't know the position on the Adult Top 40 chart:

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #
Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #45
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #41
Hot Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #1
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #12

Teta040 said:
These days the TOp 100 is based mostly on airplay. Which is why Eminem debuted so high. Such a small ranking means that Vertigo had absolutely no added radio airplay. Which neans it debuted high b/c it was added by the non-mainstream stations. This is similar to Discoteque.

And whether it is "coomerical sounding" should not matter where it is added. What U2 song has ever sounded "commercial"? There was a time when it didn't matter what the song sounded like, if it was by an artist that the station played, it would be debuted b/c it would be that person.

Clear Channel does not like U2. They like Eminem. Therefore it will not help U2 by putting them on CHR.

Forgive me, but I must write a few corrections to the above.

"Discotheque" was a hit because of sales as well as air play. Back then, Billboard charts were based on 50% sales - and "Discotheque" went GOLD (meaning it sold VERY well). This helpled "Discotheque" debut at #10.

Furthermore, back then, a song didn't debut on the charts until its CD single was available in stores! Clearly that is no longer true.

"Vertigo's" small increase this week is a bit puzzling because it actually had a HUGE increase in spins this week compared to last week (as evidenced by its jump on the modern rock, mainstream rock, and hot adult contemporary charts).

But if this is true, why only the small movement in the Hot 100? As I wrote, it is a bit puzzling. I expected the song to at least crack the Top 40. Despite the increases in spins, "Vertigo" is up against a wall - the songs above it are receiving more attention. "Beautiful Day" was able to become a Top 30 hit because it was able to transition to Adult Contemporary stations. I don't think "Vertigo" will do that (doesn't fit the format). It *might* have a chance to hit Top 40 radio stations, though, as those stations do mix rock music in with other hits. But given the dominance of R&B and hip-hop, I'm not sure there's much room for "Vertigo".

Still, for the song to hit #45 is impressive. Many far better-known U2 songs failed to chart higher, including classics like "All I Want Is You", "The Fly", "Stay", "Stuck in a Moment...", and "When Love Comes' to Town".

Last edited:
Final update for this week:

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #23
Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #45
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #41
Hot Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #1
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #12

Numbology said:
with all due respect,i don't give a rat's ass for the chart standings

Amen and amen.
Svaka cast, prijatelju! Uzeo si mi rijeci iz usta.

I couldn't care less for the charts.

Back
Top Bottom