CD Interview - "Bono Speaks in Philadelphia"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I remember about ten years ago a CD in the U2 section at one of the local record shops that simply said, "Bono Speaks in Philadelphia". It looked to be from around 1987, if I remember. This was a time when Bono very rarely did interviews (how times have changed!). I didn't ever buy it, but now that I'm a bit U2 crazy, I wish I had. Does anyone have this, and if so, just so I don't go completely over the edge with curiousity, is it a good interview, and what are some of the things discussed?

wow look who it is

i think i actually bought this cd, and i think i listened to it for about 2 minutes and have never listened to it again

I have an audio cassette called the "Philadelphia interviews" from 1985 where both Bono and Edge are being interviewed that a pen pal of mine sent years ago and it's 130 mins long.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Does anyone have this, and if so, just so I don't go completely over the edge with curiousity, is it a good interview, and what are some of the things discussed?

Maybe I can offer a few more specifics. I bought it off ebay about a year ago and I actually have listened to it 4 or 5 times. But then I have an incredibly boring job at the moment and I throw it on for distraction now and then.

It's more of a "forest than the trees" interview. By that I mean it's a better item in regard to providing a snapshot of the band, particularly Bono's frame of mind, at that point in time.

The interviewer is not particularly good; the questions are very routine. They are in a pub/restaurant late at night and there is quite a bit of background noise. The most striking thing is, and Bono readily admits to it on the recording, is that he sometimes feels completely unable to articulate what he is trying to say. He does seem to have a lot of trouble in this interview, but eventually he gets his point across.

He spends quite a bit of time trying to articulate that he is just at that point beginning to write "songs" as opposed to "lyrics." He and the interviewer also focus quite a bit on that ongoing theme of U2 not apologizing for their desire to be "big" and not satisfy the snobbish indie cliques.

As a sentimental female-type, I love the part when Adam plays the PR guy, stopping by and saying hello. Bono goes on to describe Adam as "such a royal" and mentions how important his suppport has been to him as the frontman. Bono's dealings with the restaurant staff and the interviewer also give credence to the perception that the band members are thoughtful and mannerly.

In a nutshell, I have enjoyed this interview myself although it is not the cleanest nor most enlightening piece of memorabilia to be found. If you can pick it up on ebay or similar for under $12 (US) I'd say it would be worth the purchase.

I somewhat listened to the interview when I first got this CD back in '87 ... but, haven't pulled it out of the CD sleeve since.

The one thing I can remember is that the CD sound was very faint ... I could NOT really hear Bono talking as much.
I mainly heard the static feedback in the background that over-powered his voice. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom