Captive... Is it worth it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stonecircle said:
Love it! Sinaed O'Connor is on it as well. I have it in vinyl...old.

Really... are the songs atmospheric sounding? I know he did it around the time of The Joshua Tree. Are they similar to the landscape sound or different?

gherman said:

Really... are the songs atmospheric sounding? I know he did it around the time of The Joshua Tree. Are they similar to the landscape sound or different?

Very atmosheric, but for the most part pretty unforgettable with the exception of the Sinead song.

But then again, I can get pretty bored with too much instrumental music.

But I'm sure you can find it cheap these days on Ebay or something so it's probably worth it. But if you just want the Sinead song buy her 'Collaborations' album it has this and 'I'm Not Your Baby' with U2 and many other great tracks.

Yes, it's very worth it. I love this album - beautiful, soothing instrumentals for the most part. Rowena's Theme is one of the most beautiful songs Edge has ever played.

Axver said:
Yes, it's very worth it. I love this album - beautiful, soothing instrumentals for the most part. Rowena's Theme is one of the most beautiful songs Edge has ever played.

:up:

I love love love Rowena's Theme.

Some of it is very cool and if you can appreciate songs like MLK or Mothers of the Disappeared, just for examples, then I say buy it.

If you like the chorus that repeats to the point where there is little doubt what the name of the song is, maybe avoid it.

I made a MIDI of 60 Seconds in Kingdom Come about 8 years ago.

In fact, if you have that MIDI, it's the crap version I made, combined with 'Seconds' from War at the end.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

MLK? MLK is just one chord...there's nothing like MLK on this album.

Isn't MLK based on the drone of a vacuum cleaner?

Captive is just nothing like MLK. It's quite beautifully atmospheric, mostly relaxing, and some gorgeous guitar work. Rowena's Theme is lovely, as is Drift. It's well worth the purchase :)

Edge should score more movies in his spare time.

I have it and listen to it once in a while. My problem is that I listen to CDs mainly while driving and this isn't driving music, it's hanging out at home and sipping wine music.

But considering Edge was only about 25 when this CD came out, it provides some remarkable clues to what his sound would become. I'd love to have him score a film today and compare the two in texture.

Axver said:
Agree. I love it, such a beautiful album to play late at night :drool:

Any idea where I can listen some previews of it ?

Silly from me , just easily found it on amazon , and listenign right now

Sounds good

Last edited:
Its very much worth it, any lover of the Edge will love it.
And for the record, MLK is fucking great too in my opinion, you guys must have some amazing vacuum cleaners..

I got this album back in 1986 or 87 and have always heard certain similarities between Heroinne and With Or Without You as far as how the song is structured. Besides featuring Sinead O'Connor on vocal, Heroinne also features Larry Mullen on drums.

Some of the songs on Captive feature The Edge on piano and should remind you of his playing on the song October and on New Years Day, though at a slower tempo.

A U2 song I've loved since 1985 is Bass Trap, which essentially is The Edge solo with Eno and Lanois. It's a great mood piece, which also reminds me of some of the music on Captive.

I love Captive and as others have said it's gorgeous late night music when you're relaxing or doing some sort of homework or something! That's what I use it for mainly. I agree about Rowena's Theme, what a beautiful track. And MLK is also lovely, I don't know what the problem with that one is. I love it performed on R&H. Yum!

So, uh, in answer to your question, I think it's worth it especially as you can get it for pretty cheap online anyway.

Back
Top Bottom