Can you believe this guy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is from a reviewer on amazon.uk. Mayube i am just bias because i love U2 but check this guy out? needless to say i dont agree with him!

Face it folks. U2 are cr@p. I know it's hard to accept it when your favourite band finally turns that corner but you really should be over it by now. After all, it's been fourteen years since Achtung Baby (their last good album). Hell even that was a poor man's 'The Idiot' and about as "experimental" as McDonalds doing salads. But you can't let go can you?

Let's Recap:
U2 1980-1991: Good Stuff, mostly because they spent half the time trying to rewrite Joy Division's 'Atmosphere', a lofty goal that produced some good and great results.

Zooropa: Misguided, rushed and weak. Still had some worthwhile moments. Worse was to come.

Pop: U2 branch out and display their limited musical range. Bono sounds like a dying cat. Embarassing to say the least.

ATYCLB: Second worst album title ever. The band sounds amateurish for the first time ever. "Songs" are scrappy and half finished. Personal disappointment for me coz I never thought I'd see the day when a Brian Eno production would be so stultifyingly boring. Himself and Lanois were obviously asleep at the console. Don't worry though, Anton Corbijn is taking the black and white photos so it must be as good as The Joshua Tree! Yaaayyyy!!

HTDAAB: Worst album title ever. The band sounds so tired it defies description. There are no songs at all. Just bits of (bad) ideas sewn together with ridiculous edits. The lyrics are hackneyed, empty, rhyming rubbish with nothing substantive to say. The rhythm section are utterly bereft of any ideas whatsoever. And the whole thing is mixed to slot perfectly into that horrible American K-ROCK radio format. Uugghhh.

Please don't think I hate U2. I don't. I'd really like for this album to be good but it's just not. I think they probably still have it in them to produce another great record. If they put half the effort they put into the business into the songs instead I think they could easily do it. Unfortunately, they are surrounded by so many sycophants and yes-men at this stage that they have no honest and objective sounding board. Just people standing around massaging their egos and telling them how wonderful they are. Not healthy, and definitely not conducive to creating great art. They also need to jetisson this burning, avaricious desire to remain the world's biggest band forever. It's not doing the music any good.

Do yourself a favour. Don't buy this record. If nobody buys it then maybe, just maybe, they'll come back with a record that's about the music and not corporate schlock concerned with consensus committees and the bottom line.

Final Verdict: Very Poor.

He's completely wrong. ATYCLB is the worst album title ever, HTDAAB is second worst.

Dumb ass.

I didn't read the rest.

Considering this "reviewer" barely tolerated the early U2, it's clear he's not much of a fan - despite the fact that he seems fairly familiar with their music. But given that his reviews start with "Zooropa", he seems a more recent fan at that.

My advice is, do yourself a favor and don't read his review. In fact, skip all Amazon reviews on anything popular - because there are far too many haters out there who love to rip on anything popular. Amazon reader reviews are only worthwhile on select items, where there are perhaps no more than 10-25 comments total. These come in handy. When I see 4000 comments for an album, I don't even bother.

Hank Rollins puts up a better debate.

You really shouldn't care for this kind of tosh. Everybody has a different opinion. I mean, I'm not huge on the last four albums myself, other than Zooropa.

The Sad Punk said:
Hank Rollins puts up a better debate.

Actually NO, not even close. I've heard a thousand great beefs with U2, the least of which is the psuedo intellectual douchebag Henry Rollins. He doesn't make an ounce of fucking sense, he's a stylistic fuck bag. A trendy meat head.

Name one of his arguments that holds it's own weight.

Back
Top Bottom