Can U2 still fill stadiums?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the LA Times today, there was an article devoted to the demise of the stadium tour. The point of the article was that with indoor prices skyrocketing, acts no longer have to play stadiums to make a big gross for a show.

U2 was mentioned, along with Bruce and the Stones, as an act that still can "make a stadium tour a serious consideration" for 2005. Paul was quoted as follows:
"It's a little hard to predict. They haven't finished the new album yet, and the character of the album and the new production will be the determining factors. Quite honestly, in the case of U2, it's more a function of what kind of music they want to do, rather than what kind of box-office gross they want to achieve. Certainly playing indoors is much easier, and the logistics are more controlled. Now that high ticket prices are accepted, if you're going to take the audience to a big outdoor event, you'd really have to be doing something very, very good, and we would take that responsibility very seriously. If we decide to go outdoors, it will be because it's woth doing on a grand scale."

So, according to this quote from Paul, playing a stadium gig has nothing to do with reaching more people in a particular market, and everything to do with the kind of show they want to do.

Which changes the arguments both for and against stadium shows for the upcoming tour.

They will never again be as foolish as they were during Popmart thinking that they could fill 60,000+ stadiums in every city they went to. [/B]

Yeah i don't know where people are getting their statistics from, here is the Vancouver timeline.

Joshua Tree - sell out 2 stadium shows (second one was close to sellout i think)

Zoo tv - sell out 2 arena shows then return for Outside Broadcast andsell out stadium

Popmart - sell 40,000 of 60,000 stadium

Elevation - barely sell out arena of less than 20,000

So i know they won't sell out a stadium here unless they put out the most incredible album of their careers with 10 'Ones' :(

EvolutionMonkey said:

Yeah i don't know where people are getting their statistics from, here is the Vancouver timeline.

Joshua Tree - sell out 2 stadium shows (second one was close to sellout i think)

Zoo tv - sell out 2 arena shows then return for Outside Broadcast andsell out stadium

Popmart - sell 40,000 of 60,000 stadium

Elevation - barely sell out arena of less than 20,000

So i know they won't sell out a stadium here unless they put out the most incredible album of their careers with 10 'Ones' :(

Average Ticket PRices in the Vancouver timeline:

Joshua Tree- 15

Zoo TV- 25

Popmart- 50

Elevation- 85

The more expensive the tickets, the fewer people will want to buy them. That's simple supply and demand law. Let's consider the fact that playing an arena show and charging 85 on average is kind of like doing a stadium gig. Probability shows that if 20,000 people paid 80 bucks for a show, then 40,000 would pay 40 bucks for a show. Also consider that they did a show in Tacoma the day before. AND the fact that they also did 2 shows in Calgary, meaning fans from ALberta didn't have to travel to Vancouver to see a U2 show. Also, note that on the JT and Outside Broadcast tours, there were no shows in Oregon, Seattle, Idaho, Alberta....just in Vancouver. So everyone went to those shows. They even sold bus and plane trips to this concert.

I think U2 could play stadiums in these cities, reasonably priced:

NYC (3 or 4)
Phili (2)
Boston (2)
DC
Toronto
Montreal
Chicago (2 or 3)
Atlanta
Miami
Houston or Dallas, but not both.
Phoenix (might not sell out)
Denver
Salt Lake City (that stadium they did on Popmart only holds 30,000)
Los Angeles (2)
San Francisco (2, 2nd one not selling out)
Vancouver (if there were no other shows nearby on a date close to the show in Vancouver)
Edmonton
Winnipeg

Also, I don't think U2 could do a successful stadium tour of Australia/New Zealand/Japan. They have a hard time selling out venues in these countries. Maybe they could add some new countries to their roster in this region to make the tour more profitable/worthwhile. The Stones played in China, India, Singapore and Thailand for the first time on the last tour. They could make their tour of Australiasia more indepth. I believe that on Popmart, there was a show that was supposed to happen in Singapore, but never materialised. Along with Cairo.

Anyone know if U2 are popular in Russia? Another possibility.

South America.....they could tour there for a month probably.

The_acrobat said:
Also, I don't think U2 could do a successful stadium tour of Australia/New Zealand/Japan. They have a hard time selling out venues in these countries.

Way I understand it, that's not necessarily true. I realise ZooTV Adelaide was nearly cancelled until ticket sales picked up at the last minute, but beyond that, they do pretty well. Both Sydney and Melbourne are large enough to support two sellout shows, as seen on Zoo (at least, Sydney sold out, I'm not 100% on Melbourne). Perth has no decently sized venues so if they go there, no worries about selling it out. I have no idea of the statistics for Brisbane but I think it could be done. I don't see why they can't in Auckland, Christchurch might be a bit harder, and they could definitely sell out WestpacTrust Stadium in Wellington. My father lives in Wellington and he'll verify that the stadium's new, it's getting big acts, and people are excited about it. I don't know the stats for Japan, but I definitely believe they could do a successful stadium tour of Australia and NZ with majority sellouts.

I would agree, though, that they need to go to other parts of this region. If they played in places like Russia, India, China, and Singapore, I don't think they'd have any trouble selling out stadiums there. Those countries have huge populations.

What about Eastern Europe, could they do more shows there like on Zoo and Popmart? Oh, and the Middle East? Are concerts even permitted in Islamic nations, or would they only be able to play Israel?

I can't comprehend why they haven't gone to South America more. Huge markets, I don't think they'd have any problems selling out stacks of shows across that continent.

Last edited:
I'm sure they could fill a stadium in Australia.

Something happened during Pop, I don't remember the whole story, something about someone associated with the president hurting Bono :shrug: and Paul McGuiness said they'd never play Mexico again. I would hope that Mexican fans could make the drive to SD, Texas or Arizona. A lot of Americans have to drive long distances to get to places where U2 is playing. Sometimes they don't come within 500 miles of you and it's the only option. So that's a factor to be considered too, that these places are not only the people who live in the town but the people who will travel there. A girl I knew who was in the Lexington GA line said she didn't meet anyone from Kentucky there, they had all driven in from Alabama, Tennessee, VA , NC and Ohio. I'm sure there were locals there, but that shows people will travel out of state to see a show so add that into the scene. Like say they played Denver. People might drive in from Wyoming, Utah, or Nebraska. You get the idea. If you U2 won't come to you you go to them!

the whole vancouver thing... they could deffinetly sell out at least one stadium show at, say, one of the two brand spanking new stadiums in seattle, as long as they didn't over-saturate the market by playing seattle, portland, vancouver, tacoma, etc. etc.

myself, i'm hope it's stadiums... it'll allow me to go to more shows. plus with more seats on the floor it'll give me a larger opportunity to actually be able to get close to the stage... i wasn't able to get a GA seat for Elevation at the garden, i'm determined to get close to the stage for this next tour.

RocknRollKitty said:
Something happened during Pop, I don't remember the whole story, something about someone associated with the president hurting Bono :shrug: and Paul McGuiness said they'd never play Mexico again. I would hope that Mexican fans could make the drive to SD, Texas or Arizona. A lot of Americans have to drive long distances to get to places where U2 is playing.

It was not Bono, but Jerry Mele who was hurt by bodyguards of former president Zedillo?s son...or sons. But that was a long time ago, and I seriouly doubt that they would keep on ignoring the amazing thousands of loyal mexican fans they have because of that.

Also I would like to point out that it?s one thing to travel within one country, from state to state, and another whole different story to go abroad, to travel from your country into another country to see them. Although I?m not from Mexico, I think that it can be applied to mexican fans as well. Not that of an easy task.

I?m glad to know that, at least, it seems that they have talked about going stadiums again, judging by McGuinness? words posted my martha.

Cheers
MT

Last edited:
I glanced at those concert ticket prices from the past and could only think of how the dollar in America actually buys less today than it did in 1972. Considering that people are making less per capita/spending value year after year I can't believe that rock stars are still selling tickets when they're managers and advisors KNOW that people can't afford it.

Regardless, I'll give my left nut for a front row center at the next tour. ;)

As for the original question concerning selling out stadiums: No, they can't on a scale seen in 1992 or even 1997. I can't think of anyone who can sell-out stadiums across the country. Maybe in Europe, where you're lucky to get a concert every 8 years, but in the states where the market is more spread out and several shows occur within driving distance (example: I could have made it to the Denver, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, St. Louis shows with no major problems), whereas in Europe you're given one or maybe two shows and the next closest show is either in A) another country, or B) Across the continent.

martha said:
In the LA Times today, there was an article devoted to the demise of the stadium tour. The point of the article was that with indoor prices skyrocketing, acts no longer have to play stadiums to make a big gross for a show.

U2 was mentioned, along with Bruce and the Stones, as an act that still can "make a stadium tour a serious consideration" for 2005. Paul was quoted as follows:

So, according to this quote from Paul, playing a stadium gig has nothing to do with reaching more people in a particular market, and everything to do with the kind of show they want to do.

Which changes the arguments both for and against stadium shows for the upcoming tour.

Interesting article, and I guess with prices going up and inflation it may also be harder to fill stadiums for acts.

Maybe we should wait and see how the album sounds and then try to guess whether or not they're going to stadiums. From his quote, I don't think they've decided either way yet.

On Zoo TV, did they book the stadium shows when they announced the tour dates or did it happen later, after the indoor shows in US and Europe?

Danospano said:

I can't think of anyone who can sell-out stadiums across the country.

Come to think of it I don't think there's any act out there now that can! I think even the Stones played smaller venues last time? :confused: Maybe the Stones but no one else.

I think the future of stadium tours will be 'festivals' or two or more big name bands touring together. I doubt any one band or artist can sell that many tickets anymore.

there's one place u2 has never played that i would die if they ever did...

manhattan_map_upt.gif

i don't know why bono wouldn't want to... afterall, his apartment in the san remo building overlooks the park.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Interesting article, and I guess with prices going up and inflation it may also be harder to fill stadiums for acts.

Maybe we should wait and see how the album sounds and then try to guess whether or not they're going to stadiums. From his quote, I don't think they've decided either way yet.

On Zoo TV, did they book the stadium shows when they announced the tour dates or did it happen later, after the indoor shows in US and Europe?

The stadium shows were tentatively planned ahead of time. The entire tour that transpired was planned before the first show in Lakeland. They didnt officially book the stadiums though until they saw the demand was there as they thought it probebly would be. But obviously they were being cautious. The only part of the tour that changed from the tentative plan was after Outside Broadcast. Originally they were going to play Australia and S. America, but decided to take a break and do an album instead before the Euro stadium tour. So they moved Australia and Japan to the end of the tour and unfortunately for the S. American fans they got left out, just like they did on the Joshua Tree tour. The color footage for R and H was suppose to be shot on the S. American leg of the tour but they scrapped it due to cost and cancelled the S. American and Australian legs of JT. They are taking a similiar approach to the upcoming tour. Mainly for the N. American shows though. As mentioned there is no doubdt they can play stadiums in Europe and S. America with no problem regardless.

I think U2 can sell out stadiums. I really think cost is the one thing U2 will take in consideration this tour. If they feel they can make money off stadiums I see no reason why they wouldn't do a stadium tour.

U2 would really benefit from what the Stones did. Tour doing stadiums and arenas. It would really be cool if U2 did this for fans. They could play 2 different setlist. One for the mass, another for the intamite crowd. In the end it will be determined on how the new album sounds.

:bow: Always interesting to hear your U2 knowledge, Blue Room. Thanks!

I had no idea they planned S. America for Zoo TV and Joshua Tree tour.
I hope this time they will play Europe, both Americas and Australia like they did with Popmart. That would be most fair to all fans, I think.

Maybe even try Asian markets? Didn't Rolling Stones play some show there on their last tour (I know one or two concerts were cancelled due to SARS)?

Last edited:
I just can talk about Chilean fans... in Chile U2 can fill the Estadio Nacional again ( about 70,000 people ), provided that U2 release a very succesful album soon, because U2 here in Chile is out of Radios and TV now. When U2 released POP, the album was very popular here, and the spectation was so big because was the first time U2 in Chile, so off course was sold out. Now things are different, All that you can?t... wasn?t so popular, and The best of even less. I really don?t know what would happen if U2 decide to visit Chile again, but clearly depend of new Album quality :yes: :wave: :wave: :wave:
On the other hand, here in Chile one band use to play in Stadiums, because we don?t have "arenas" like U.S have. If a band don?t play in Estadio Nacional, play in other stadiums like San Carlos De Apoquindo ( 30,000 people ) or theatre, but U2 won?t play in a theatre here !!!! :laugh: :laugh:

about Argentina or Brasil, I?m sure they would fill a Stadium again, because they were just one time here in South America. I remember when Rolling Stones played 5 SOULD OUT CONCERTS in River Plate Stadium, Argentina. I think is harder to fill a Stadium in Europe or United States because there the fans are so used to see them every tour more than once in every city :heart:
... here... we would be lucky if we see U2 here again !!!!!!!!:wave:

I think the main thing ( again ) is about the new album and songs, that?s all. If the album is REALLY worth have and good, there will be no problem in filling stadiums around the world. If the new album is not good enough... better think in arenas

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
there's one place u2 has never played that i would die if they ever did...

manhattan_map_upt.gif

i don't know why bono wouldn't want to... afterall, his apartment in the san remo building overlooks the park.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yesssssssssssssssssssssss

U2girl said:
Maybe even try Asian markets? Didn't Rolling Stones play some show there on their last tour (I know one or two concerts were cancelled due to SARS)?

Yeah. The Stones cancelled almost the entire Asia leg (after Singapore) due to SARS. The Licks tour ended with a two-show run in Hong Kong as an attempt to make up for the cancellations.

RW

If doing every drug known to man for 50 years couldn't kill Keith Richard's I don't think SARS would have any effect on the man.

OF COURSE THEY WOULD!! WHY SHOULD YOU EVEN ASK!!
THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST ROCK N ROLL BANDS EVER!!!
AND THEY WILL TILL THE END OF TIME!!!
ALSO LEDGENDS!

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom