Can u2 create another One ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvolutionMonkey

Acrobat
First i think a lot of their songs after AB are masterpieces in their own right and I really think Kite came close to being as big a masterpiece as One. But for whatever reason Kite never caught on by the mainstream public and I admit One is in a class all it's own.

It's been over 10 years since One, so does anybody think u2 will ever create a song that captures the public in as big a way as One did ?

EvolutionMonkey said:
First i think a lot of their songs after AB are masterpieces in their own right and I really think Kite came close to being as big a masterpiece as One. But for whatever reason Kite never caught on by the mainstream public and I admit One is in a class all it's own.

It's been over 10 years since One, so does anybody think u2 will ever create a song that captures the public in as big a way as One did ?

U2 won't make another One just yet. They're still too busy trying to make another Sunday Bloody Sunday. Bullet The Blue Sky, Please, and Peace On Earth are all cheap knock-offs of the genuine item which is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Cheers,

J

Well I think Kite would have stood a better chance for being a masterpiece if it had been a single.

(I always thought of Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please and Peace on Earth as sort of a trilogy)

Another One? I think it's possible.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Can u2 create another One ?

jick said:

U2 won't make another One just yet. They're still too busy trying to make another Sunday Bloody Sunday. Bullet The Blue Sky, Please, and Peace On Earth are all cheap knock-offs of the genuine item which is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Cheers,

J

Whoa! I would take Bullet and Please before Sunday Bloody Sunday. Cheap knock offs?? Nothing gives me the shivers like hearing Bono wailing over Edge's soaring guitar solo in Please. The way I see it, Please captures the same themes as SBS, but from the perspective of someone with a little more experience, a little more wise perhaps.

As well, the recent performances of Sunday Bloody Sunday don't come near to the kind of emotion the band poured in Please during Popmart. I would have much preferred to hear Please on the Elevation tour.

Didn't Edge compose SBS while he was contemplating leaving the band? That and what its about, I'd hope there is never another SBS. Or One.
They're one-offs.

Who knows, there could be a few more classics in them yet though.

They've never made another "Sunday, Bloody Sunday," but they made a "One." They'll never make another "One," but they can still make another song just as amazing.

They've never made another "Sunday, Bloody Sunday," but they made a "One." They'll never make another "One," but they can still make another song just as amazing.

Clap, clap, clap... Ditto!
I don?t want another One or another Sunday Bloody Sunday. I want another great song about the world, a song that can be heard in the whole world. Of course they can make another amazing song.

Kite is the greatest song of ATYCLB but it unfortunately it wasnt a single. Stuck In A Moment was a very bad choice. It?s a ok song, but Kite is almost perfection.

"I want you to know... You won?t need anyone or anything at all"

Mango said:
I heard they are working on another "One". They're going to call it "Two".

^ :lmao: is silly but it made me laugh

well... about... in the sense to make another song so representative, hopefully thus it is, in the sense to make a copy of the original song, I hope that no, I like a concept called Evolution

It's not really a question of whether the band can write a song as good as One, it's more about whether the general public can still take to another U2 song like they did to One. And that's such a complicated combination of the right circumstances and sheer X factor that it's impossible to predict.

Excellent point, Saracene! U2 isn't manufactured and their music is too deep for the general mtv genre. Maybe by the time U2 realeases their new music, there will be a starvation factor, if you will, for something real in music. The current stuff is wearing thin, and this could be the most relevant band for sure, if in fact U2 has gotten to the place where they say they are making the kind of music they always wanted to make. Will it be what is wanted, we'll see.

Oh, I didn't actually mean that the public might not embrace the music because it's too deep for them or anything. I just wanted to say that, although it's up to the band to write a great song, once it's out there noone can really predict how it will go with the public. It's so easy to come up with all sorts of reasons for why this or that song became a hit or a classic -after- it has become one.

I'm of the opinion that a great song is a great song, and it will do well even if it is not commercial or formulaic to radio. If you look back at some of the biggest hits that really struck an emotional chord with people, often they are songs the band in question never thought would be "good single material". Take 'Losing My Religion' by REM for example. The band members had no idea that song would explode, going so far as to say if you wanted to write a song that wouldn't do well commercially, you'd write a song like that -- since it has very little in the way of a chorus and convention. It came out of nowhere because it was a great song, and people caught on. The same goes for a song like 'With or Without You' and a song like 'One'. Both are very unusual songs, each a kind of an odd arrangment, but they struck a chord in people because they were great to begin with. No amount of marketing, public climate, or x-factor could ever change that. Some things are universally appreciated.

do you know how hard it is to make a song like One?

songs like that come once a generation you know?

i mean the Righteous Brothers made a song like Unchained Melody and never again did they make a song that came close to that, i know people say that 'Youve Lost that Loving Feeling' is just as good a song, but gee, songs like that dont grow on trees

well i certainly hope they don't.

it's not a matter of me not liking the song, but more that i hope they just focus on making good songs instead of trying to duplicate their previous songs. it's been my experience that when bands do that, the songs end up being lackluster. some U2 songs may fit together (such as sbs, please, and peace on earth), but none were written to try to be a part two.

They came close with "Stay" - but the themes in it are too bold and not open enough to apply to anyone who might listen.

That's the beauty of "One" - it can apply to anyone in almost any circumstance - plus, it's just "on" musically.

I don't think U2 will eclipse "One" in terms of writing a "greater" song for the masses.

I'm assuming you're not asking whether U2 will make another song as good as One (they can easily do this), but instead you're asking whether or not there will be another mainstream hit from U2 that turns out as immensly popular as One was. It's a really tough question...and almost impossible to predict.

When you have a huge hit like One, there are usually two factors behind it:

1) first of all, radio decides to promote it (and no matter your opinion of whether this is good or bad, radio promotion does make a HUGE difference), and

2) for whatever reason, everyone connects with it.

If there is a radio-friendly song on the new album that is released as a single, and radio wants to promote it, we could see another One again - if listeners really grab hold of it. The problem I saw with ATYCLB was that radio didn't really seem to want to promote the songs. However, after 3 grammy's they were almost "forced" into playing Beautiful Day - after all, how could they not play the "Best Song" per the Grammy decision-makers? But I never saw them really push any of the other singles after that. In my opinion, Walk On could have easily been another huge hit like One, but I think the lack of promotion from radio stifled it.

Love it or hate it (and I hate it), the powers that be at the huge radio conglomerates will have a huge impact on whether or not we get another hit such as One. I've seen way too many low-quality songs that became ridiculously popular, and I'm convinced that radio was 90% of the reason.

Last edited:
Well for me, the closest thing to ONE on ATYCLB was In A Little While. I know it has a sort of hip hop loop thingy in the backround and all that but still.
For a start, it was the "cleanest" song on the album, in a musical sense. It really did just sound like four blokes in a room, playing and singing without all the trickery. It wasnt cluttered with all these extra bits of music that so many of U2's recent stuff has been (my opinion). I think that was Kite's biggest downfall, that musically it just sat there. It started with so much going on musically that it had nowhere else to really take you. One really took you somewhere, it started soft and built to a crescendo. In a much lesser degree I thought In a Little While did the same thing.
So if they can strip back the music again on this new album, to a song that has passion and meaning, then they can definitely come up with another classic! I actually really believe they will!!

It's unlikely that they'll have another song as universally loved as "One" but it's possible. I'm thinking about "Tough" or "All Because of You" from the new album as possible big anthems.

I think Walk On can easily stand up to One. It was a deep, meaningful song that was taken in by the public after 9/11. I know there wasn't a dry eye at the shows in NYC when the band played One/Walk On. Its kind of an extension to One. The sequel to One. The what's next? and while it may not have been a chart topper, it definitely can be identified by people based on its connection to 9/11.

"Walk on" could've been the next "One", had they released it as a single in late 2001. (Let me make it known that I'm not talking about the single you buy in the stores. I'm talking about radio singles. In the U.S., the only singles we get are imports.) Unlike everywhere else, we in America got the Walk on video/radio single in early 2001, when Beautiful Day was still riding high, and there wasn't room for two U2 hits on the radio. "Stuck in a moment" was released as a single in the U.S. in late 2001, and as a result of 9/11, it became a very popular song, dare I say "OVERPLAYED". But if "Walk on" had come out in September of 2001, it definately would have been the next "One", or possibly even bigger. "Walk on" did become a post-9/11 hit, but not as big as it could've.

*Bear in mind, I so wish that the events of 9/11 would have never happened. I don't want you to think I am glorifying a tragedy by discussing how it could've effected a song on the radio charts. But I was just saying how "Walk on" could've really become a HUGE hit after the events of 9/11/01, because people would've really identified with it, and found comfort in it. But if 9/11 had not happened, we'd have all those people with us. Oh....and some U2 song wouldn't have done well on the charts. I think those would be ideal circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom