Can they get an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2live

The Fly
After noticing no noms for Elevation for the Golden Globes is it because the music has to be written specifically for the movie, and since it was on their CD it can't be nominated? Because Elevation should win song of the year at the Oscars. Are they going to get robbed of their Oscar? Well, since they now writing the music for the Scorse movie, next year then they can get an Oscar.

Hah, never thought Id disagree with someone about recognition U2 should get but I think U2 deserves all the Grammys they can take but when it comes to an Oscar "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge rules the Best Song from a Motion Picture and yes it does need to be "original and written specifically for the film" per the Academy.

Maybe next year U2 will qualify with the song they are reportedly writing for The Gangs of New York.

i'm still flaming mad that 'alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk/korova 1' didn't get an oscar for being in 'johnny mnemonic'!!
i'm still trying to figure out why 'mnemonic' itself didn't get an oscar-keanu reeves was fantastic!

------------------
you can stuff your sorries in a sack mister

I have a newt named Oscar, but U2 can't have him.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by kobayashi:

i'm still trying to figure out why 'mnemonic' itself didn't get an oscar-keanu reeves was fantastic!

*snicker*

*snicker*

BWWwaaaaaahhaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!

Fantastic and Keanu Reeves just don't go together.

Unless it were in something like "Wouldn't it be fantastic if Keanu Reeves stopped trying to act?"
wink.gif

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I have a newt named Oscar, but U2 can't have him.

biggrin.gif

come on, guys, you know lady marmalade is going to win the oscar.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Speaking of U2 and Oscars, here is some trivia. In 1989 three U2 songs were initially qualified for nominations (ie. they weren't nominated yet, but they were in the selection from which the nominations were chosen). Those songs were Desire, Angel Of Harlem and When Love Comes To Town. But they were all disqualified! First on the grounds that they were performed on a record before a film's release (which is the reason Elevation isn't eligible). Then, the Academy said that the songs didn't contribute to the film's drama.

Anyway, the whole story can be read at http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=927&Key=&Year=1989&Cat=

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom