Can someone please.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earnie Shavers

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Set up a poll that is something 80's vs something 00's???? Why does it have to ALWAYS be the 90's albums? The 80's albums shit all over the 00's just as easily, can't we argue on that front?

That WOULD be interesting!

But then what if we ended up witnessing Bomb defeat JT or UF or War? Then I'd be depressed.

Earnie Shavers said:
Set up a poll that is something 80's vs something 00's???? Why does it have to ALWAYS be the 90's albums? The 80's albums shit all over the 00's just as easily, can't we argue on that front?

:up:

I don't know about 'shitting all over' but I think the 80s albums are definitely better than the 00s ones!

Re: Re: Can someone please.....

Zootlesque said:

:up:

I don't know about 'shitting all over' but I think the 80s albums are definitely better than the 00s ones!

See, I'm not even so sure about that. There may be some albums from the 80s that could be considered eons better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but there are quite a few that can't. I know this is just based on personal taste, but I'd take HTDAAB over Boy, October, and Rattle & Hum any day. Maybe even over certain JT songs (I seem to be one of the few people who find a lot of the JT material to be rather bland.) Now of course, War, UF, and certain aspects of JT piss all over HTDAAB and ATYCLB. ATYCLB in particular. But I still wouldn't say that the 80s were tremendously stronger than the 00s. I feel that they're only marginally better.

How about the daddies:

JT v AB

or even "Battle of the Decades"

80s v 90s v 00s

or...

JT v AB v HTDAAB
ie, the definitive (so far) albums of those decades

Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

GibsonGirl said:

See, I'm not even so sure about that. There may be some albums from the 80s that could be considered eons better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but there are quite a few that can't. I know this is just based on personal taste, but I'd take HTDAAB over Boy, October, and Rattle & Hum any day. Maybe even over certain JT songs (I seem to be one of the few people who find a lot of the JT material to be rather bland.) Now of course, War, UF, and certain aspects of JT piss all over HTDAAB and ATYCLB. ATYCLB in particular. But I still wouldn't say that the 80s were tremendously stronger than the 00s. I feel that they're only marginally better.

See? And yet we never talk about it. It's only ever Miami vs fucking Yahweh or some other stupid thing. (Miami kicks Yahweh).

I dare someone to try and convince me that HTDAAB is as good as or better than The Unforgettable Fire.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

Earnie Shavers said:

I dare someone to try and convince me that HTDAAB is as good as or better than The Unforgettable Fire.

TUF's title track alone owns Bomb.

I'm sure it will be just as productive as the last 2 polls. :up:

Arguing about this shit is like arguing about...religion...or something. You're not going to change anyone's mind. It's one thing to have an interesting, civil discussion, but that's not going to happen

I was thinking that you might with the 80s because it's harder for some people to jump back into their "90s fan" mode.

Boy vs HTDAAB may be interesting, especially considering how much Bono talks about the two albums being connected.

I may just make that as a poll.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can someone please.....

Earnie Shavers said:

See? And yet we never talk about it. It's only ever Miami vs fucking Yahweh or some other stupid thing. (Miami kicks Yahweh).

True. I think it would be a lot more interesting to look at the 80s vs the 00s, simply because of some of the similarities that both eras share. It really is impossible to try to compare Pop to ATYCLB or Zooropa to HTDAAB. In fact, it's rather fucking stupid to try. They're on such opposite sides of the musical spectrum that you'll always get one group who'll favour one musical form over the other, and it'll just be the same old arguments over and over again.

And I'm of the opinion that anyone who thinks HTDAAB is better than The Unforgettable Fire - or even on par with UF - must be utterly delusional. :yes:

MrBrau1 said:

It'll wind up being the same thing.

Not necessarily. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a U2 fan who thinks October is better than HTDAAB!

I have never seen such an incredibly annoying wise-cracking baby in my life before joining this forum!

:wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Not necessarily. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a U2 fan who thinks October is better than HTDAAB!

Actually, I know of at least one person on this forum who considers October to be U2's best album.

I happen to rank October in my top six and if HTDAAB slips much further in my rankings, October will come out ahead of it.

Axver said:

Actually, I know of at least one person on this forum who considers October to be U2's best album.

I happen to rank October in my top six and if HTDAAB slips much further in my rankings, October will come out ahead of it.

Okay, how about Wide Awake In America, then? :wink: That doesn't really qualify, I know, but I don't think anyone likes WAIA.

October's actually doesn't do too badly in my own personal rankings, but I still think HTDAAB's quite a lot better than it.

GibsonGirl said:

Okay, how about Wide Awake In America, then? :wink: That doesn't really qualify, I know, but I don't think anyone likes WAIA.

Since when did people dislike WAIA? I mean, sure, there's plenty of complaints about it being too short, but the tracks themselves? Bad live is almost universally loved, ASOH live is pretty popular, and to me, it seems most people think The Three Sunrises and/or Love Comes Tumbling should've been on The Unforgettable Fire album.

And I'm a UF fanlad, so of course I like it a lot.

Boy/HTDAAB seems like a fun poll to have. their first vs their last to date. sounds good. i voted for HTDAAB.

I don't really think anyone should be taking these polls seriously. its all just one forum's opinion. this is no way determines the U2 fanbase as a whole. most polls on this forum will end in the same way. 90's Album X > anything else in existance. thats just how most people around here think. i happen to disagree (TJT is best album ever, fact) but it doesn't matter really. maybe the 90's fans are just most vocal about it, and there are more fans of other things, they just dont talk. but whatever the case is. these polls are just for fun, so lets have a good laugh and let Pop beat joshua tree cuz "omfg teh m0f0 is greatest song evah!1!"

Zootlesque said:
The scary thing is i'd be afraid to put a poll up of M0f0 vs Streets, in fear of seeing the best song u2 has ever made (streets) be killed by an over hyped techno rave glow-stick waving track :uhoh:

-runs before he is killed-

catlhere said:

The scary thing is i'd be afraid to put a poll up of M0f0 vs Streets, in fear of seeing the best song u2 has ever made (streets) be killed by an over hyped techno rave glow-stick waving track :uhoh:

-runs before he is killed-

You are tempting me to make just such a poll.

Axver said:

You are tempting me to make just such a poll.
I'll cover my eyes so i can hide from the bloodshed.

If I knew nothing about U2, after leaving this forum I wouldn't even know the joshua tree existed. :(

catlhere said:

I'll cover my eyes so i can hide from the bloodshed.

If I knew nothing about U2, after leaving this forum I wouldn't even know the joshua tree existed. :(

Well then, make a thread about The Joshua Tree rather than lamenting the perceived ignorance of it.

Back
Top Bottom