can someone answer a question for a dummy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i'm not saying i'm a dummy, but this is a question a dummy could ask.

why do they go to different studios?
i could see it being for different atmospheres(ie using berlin for achtung baby or miami + nyc for pop) but why do they record in london and then back to dublin.

is this strictly for logistical reasons, do different studios offer different aural qualities?

------------------
you can stuff your sorries in a sack mister

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i'm not saying i'm a dummy, but this is a question a dummy could ask.

why do they go to different studios?
i could see it being for different atmospheres(ie using berlin for achtung baby or miami + nyc for pop) but why do they record in london and then back to dublin.

is this strictly for logistical reasons, do different studios offer different aural qualities?

Oh Christ knows. I've often wondered the same thing myself. I suspect it might just be a useful tie-in with the globe-trotting lifestyle, though in some cases the reasons probably are a bit more idealistic (eg. Berlin).

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

I think you are on the money here..Koba..ie-(atmosphere)

And I dont think you are a dummy even when you think I could be..

DB9

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 01-05-2002).]

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

And I dont think you are a dummy even when you think I could be..

DB9

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 01-05-2002).]

i don't think you're a dummy at all.
some of your posts are just completely whacked out and nonsensical(to me at least) that i like to poke fun
smile.gif

------------------
itsyourworldyoucanchangeit

are u kidding me?!?! db9s posts are perfectly logical!!
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure, but I think it is for the atmosphere like you said...at least Slane and Berlin were, and as artists, I think that's the perfectly logical reason as to why they would record in diff areas.

I think you're all onto it regarding "atmosphere." Also different spaces SOUND different. I seem to remember a story about Edge recording the guitar solo to Wire underneath a stairway. Now you can't get that in a studio.
Moreover, the band has such long recording sessions (up to a year or more) that they probably get bored and use a new space to reinvigorate themselves.

MAP

I think that is a very good question, and not at all something a dummy would ask.

I don't know, i can't say i ever thought about it. While most albums were recorded in Dublin, there are some which haven't been (UF in part, R&H, AB in part, POP, ATYCLB in part).

I think the main reason is that the various locations seem to contribute to U2's experimenting, i really think that recording in different places influences their music.
On the other hand, it's also possible the band tries several studios and just records wherever it feels most comfortable.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-05-2002).]

I think U2 just gets bored of sitting in the same room for months.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

It also has to do with production engineers. Certain producers, engineers or mixers like to work in space they're familar with (we know Brian and Danny will travel) and often, the band *is* willing to go wherever the producers is. This is not strictly the case with U2, but is for a lot of other bands. In some cases, the ownership is such that the producer is sort of tied to the studio.

Yeah I'd say atmosphere. Well I know that for Achtung Baby in Berlin, the chaos which followed the falling of the Berlin wall influenced the feel or the artistic creativity. I'm sure it's more inspiring when your surroundings change up.

Back
Top Bottom