Can anyone take U2 seriously anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course, they are taken very seriously. Bono is taken seriously too with his humanitarian work. How could you even ask?

Last edited:
Re: eat this

pinkfloyd said:
i never liked Atyclb , too much mild pro-Bono ! songs dammit !
I hope , U2 will be back , and yes , i'm also tired of bono countless booring speeches about 0thing .

In the future, try not to drink so much before posting.

KhanadaRhodes said:
sometimes i wonder if U2 has ever been taken seriously. sure, they are still loved and respected by critics and fans, but that doesn't mean you are taken seriously. perhaps in the early days, in the 80's U2 were, but since achtung baby, i doubt they have been. in the 90's and beyond, they've seemed to loosen up and poke fun at themselves. it doesn't mean they're not as good as they were before, just different.

to me this is just another atyclb debate. which means pop will be mentioned, as whenever an album is being debated (by any artist), their previous work is usually mentioned. (think about how many times you've seen an october thread and someone mentions boy!) but album debates don't seem to work as people tend to get divided. there's one side, the other side, and the few who are on the fence because they like both albums. i don't see the point in it really. i'd rather look at the positive than the negative, and say what i love about an album instead of what i hate about it.

Absolutely. And those of us who are on the fence :wave: <waves with one hand while holding on with the other> thank you. I'm often baffled by the constant catty debate over which album is 'better' or 'best'. It's so redolent of snotty academics trying to feed you 'The Canon of English Literature' that it makes me want to go hide in a cave with ALL the U2 albums and my collection of Stephen King novels until I'm allowed to like what I like without people giving me looks of pity and superiority.

On the whole 'being taken seriously' issue, I think the day they stopped being able to poke fun at themselves is the day I'd stop believing in U2 - because, to me, that's when the spark dies. When you've got time to posture and moan about your A-R-T, then you're not spending enough time making it.

And that's my tuppence.

I don't understand. U2 can be taken more seriously than any band in the world. Bono's serious work with the impoverished nations makes him an even more serious, and important figure.

It is true.

Bono could wear a chicken outfit, with an exposed ass, while sining "It's raining men"...........................
and I'd still take him seriously.

Re: It is true.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
Bono could wear a chicken outfit, with an exposed ass, while sining "It's raining men"...........................

:lol: Now there's an image that's going to stay in my head for awhile!!!

Re: It is true.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:

:ohmy: :shocked:...

:eeklaugh: :lol: :laugh:

Okay...that's a really interesting mental image...*snickers, starts cracking up again*

Um, sengira, well said, by the way.

*Walks off still laughing at mental image*

Angela

sengira said:

Absolutely. And those of us who are on the fence :wave: <waves with one hand while holding on with the other> thank you. I'm often baffled by the constant catty debate over which album is 'better' or 'best'. It's so redolent of snotty academics trying to feed you 'The Canon of English Literature' that it makes me want to go hide in a cave with ALL the U2 albums and my collection of Stephen King novels until I'm allowed to like what I like without people giving me looks of pity and superiority.

On the whole 'being taken seriously' issue, I think the day they stopped being able to poke fun at themselves is the day I'd stop believing in U2 - because, to me, that's when the spark dies. When you've got time to posture and moan about your A-R-T, then you're not spending enough time making it.

And that's my tuppence.

Beautiful f**ckin' post sengira :up: I'm on the fence and proud of it.

Awesome post sengira. Beautifully captured a lot of the things I was thinking but lacked the eloquence to say properly :).

And I never thought this day would come, but....and yes I'm shocked by this - I agree with Gypsy about U2 being taken much seriously now than they were doing Popmart. But I stll think Pop rocks, and so does ATYCLB.

So :madspit:!

:D

Back
Top Bottom