"Butchered" Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Move in Mysterious Ways

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If I'm not mistaken, the version of Gone used in the Elevation Boston DVD was from the second night they filmed, though the clip of Edge slamming down his guitar in disgust at the end was from the first night. Edge later said in an interview that he felt they'd "butchered the song" that night.

My question is to anyone who has heard a bootleg of it -- or perhaps was even there. What was so bad about that peformance of the song? Edge doesn't much seem like the guitar slamming type.

Hello,

That's the strange thing, I didn't hear anything wrong about the version played on the first night. It isn't played badly or whatever. Actually, that version is quite good, very intense.

So I don't understand why Edge felt like that, but then again, I'm not an ass-kicking guitar player. :)

C ya!

Marty

I've heard that the audio we hear is from the second (good) night, but the visual is almost all from the first night. Don't know if that's true or not.

What Edge was hearing through his moniters did not sound good. As a result he thought it sounded awful to everyone and overreacted. He admitted later that he overreacted. The band was probebly stressing over the production shoot and things were not going that great for the video production rehearsal show on 6-5. So Edge got frustrated, he is human. I think ;) LOL

here's what i have heard:

1. larry ended the song late
2. edge dropped his pick and had to do the really fast picking and the end crescendo with his fingers, which, given the fact that the song was going on too long (see #1) was probably quite painful.

believe what you will.

what you see on the dvd is edited listen to teh audience recording fromt hat night you notice a marked difference.

Scripted

It was scripted and staged. Just like many of Bono's intros and adlib's to songs - "scripted sincerity."

History has shown that Edge makes too many mistakes to count and he and Bono always laugh it over onstage. Edge never gets pissed. The video thing was just Edge doing some acting to add some spice to an otherwise dull song.

After all, why would they use the "butchered guitar-throwing" video version and use the "perfect, pristine well-performed" audio version in the DVD? It would be the only song in the DVD where the video doesn't match the audio. It's all an act, a conspiracy really.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Scripted

jick said:
History has shown that Edge makes too many mistakes to count and he and Bono always laugh it over onstage. Edge never gets pissed. The video thing was just Edge doing some acting to add some spice to an otherwise dull song.
Well, the documentary thing that comes with the DVD says that the first show was full of mistakes, so Edge wasn't just mad at missing a chord in "Gone" or something.

And it was probably the most interesting song on the set up to that point.

Re: Scripted

jick said:
It was scripted and staged. Just like many of Bono's intros and adlib's to songs - "scripted sincerity."

After all, why would they use the "butchered guitar-throwing" video version and use the "perfect, pristine well-performed" audio version in the DVD? It would be the only song in the DVD where the video doesn't match the audio. It's all an act, a conspiracy really.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

i don't think the fact that the audio and video are from two different nights necessarily means that it was staged. all we can really know for sure is that the video footage from the first night (on that particular song) ended up being more interesting and exciting so they decided to keep it, but i wouldn't say that that alone proves it was staged.

i also don't think he acted it because if they believed that the song would have otherwise been dull enough to compromise the DVD as a whole, why include it in the first place?

these days, pretty much every moment in every show is choreographed and rehearsed, so i think your statement about "scripted sincerity" is accurate, but i'm inclined to believe that they may have included that footage because it was NOT scripted and was such a great "rock star moment." as the "making of" states the first filmed performance was completely flat, so it doesn't at all surprise me that, all other things considered, edge would be frustrated with an awful performance. from what i have heard of this song, it was not just edge making more mistakes (as yes he does quite often :sexywink: ) but was the product of a couple of things building throughout the song (see my earlier post).

phew, i can't believe i'm devoting this much time to this topic. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom