BTBS (from Boston DVD)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elfyx said:
but yet without our right to bear them our Republic would sure fall.

thats just backwards.
are you in the midst of some 18th century war where you live by any cahnvce?

i've had a pretty good idea of both worlds - i come from south africa where guns are totally legal (and my mother owned one when i was a kid) and now i live in the UK where guns are totally illegal - not even the cops carry them.

in south africa (and everywhere where gun violence is an issue) guns create a viscious circle - criminals have guns because cops and people have guns and they steal them. therefore you have an armed criminal element so you need more arms in the police force and more arms in the home. therefore more guns to steal, more guns required to protect ourselves and so on and so forth, round we go again.
ironically most people killed by guns are killed by their own personal weapon that gets wrestled off and used against them. i was terrified of my mother and her gun because i wasnt confident that she would be able to use it. also, gun laws protect the criminal and make it difficult to legally use your weapon. you can't keep it in your car (where considering hijackings it would come in handy) and when its in the house it has to be locked in a safe so when someone does break in you have to ask them to be patient while you go get your gun out!
also the attacker has to be in your abode, not neccesarily on your property before you can act. so if you see someone in your garden you have to wait till they are physically in your house and in your face before you pretect yourself. this increases the opportunity of the criminal to get that weapon from you and use it against you.
break any of these and you go to jail for manslaughter or something else while all you were trying to do was to protect yourself and your family from a guy weilding the weapon he stole from your neighbours the week before.

go to the uk and you just dont see guns. criminals dont have them because there's no where to get them from. ok hunting rifles are allowed but they're not exactly general public household appliances and aren't that common, but most (not all) of the police dont have guns, the public dont have guns and therfore the criminals dont have guns. gun crime isnt undeniable but not nearly at the extent that it is in gun-legal countries.

i'm not saying guns are the route of all crimes and if we take them away we'll be a free and happy society. not at all.
but in the uk i cannot instantly or specifically recall the last incident of a gun related murder or crime i heard or read about.
compare that to south africa where i had a gun held to my head, and more recently a close friend of mine was hijacked at gunpoint and then knocked unconcious with the butt of the gun.

your Republic's right to bear arms is what gets you into trouble in the first place - americans let their "right to everything" get in the way of a clearer vision. yes it is your right to own a gun BUT its also the right of your children to go to school and not be mowed down by the guy from over the road who took daddies gun . the gun owners right seems frivolous in comparison really
and heston can yell all he wants but they wont need to pry any gun out of his "cold dead hands" as it'll be in the hands of the guy who killed him with it in the first place.

BTBS is a very powerful song with a very poerwul message and its the perfect place to showcase the ludicrousness of what heston and his NRA buddies believe is their right.
it rightfully makes a mockery of the laws that these guys support

now if you dont mind i'm going to Free Your Mind to rant some more as i think i've totally gone off the topic here.

shart1780 said:
By the way, I think Heston's quote was awesome. He's also a more charismatic man than Bono will ever be. He is an actor...

:ohmy: :ohmy:

Allow me to disagree! That is, at least, questionable. You can say that they're very different people, with different backgrounds, and points of view.

Mr. Heston surely is much more experiente, I would say he's an old fox. And he certainly is an actor. He used to be a good one. But that’s all he is to me.

SkeeK said:
Chuck Heston isn't being productive if he's spewing out tired old cliches about 'good' and 'evil'. But then I maybe shouldn't judge him simply from all the dumb things I've heard coming out of his mouth, he has his reasons for believing them.

Yes. But from that point of view, almost anyone's got good reasons to say or do anything. This won’t work as an excuse for anything.

shart1780 said:

LMAO, that's hilarious dude, really it is. Bowling for Columbine? Are you serious? Dif you actually take that movie seriously? It's not a documentary, it's a movie. It's pure propaganda. It's hilarious that you'd judge ANYONE based off of a Michael Moore film considering he's such a master of propaganda and deception. Wait did I say a master of deception? I'm sorry, a master of deception can actually present a somewhat realistic lie and twist it into something convincing. Two things Moore has yet to do. Good one.

By the way, I think Heston's quote was awesome. He's also a more charismatic man than Bono will ever be. He is an actor...

Oh I thought that version pf Bullet the Blue Sky was pretty cool though, even thoiugh I disagree with the message.

Wow. There's so much going on in this post. You definitely have not been affected by the 'propaganda' of Michael Moore, but Mr. Heston does fairly well in the areas of propaganda and deception.

Last edited:
SkeeK said:
Then there's the EU EU FU United Kingdom Fuck you! Germany. Fuck you, France! etc. those were cool.

Actually I think U2wanderer.org is more correct:

Outside... is America
Outside... UK
Outside... France
EU, EU, EU, EU
I can see you
EU, UDA, IRA, British Army
UDA, IRA, Real IRA
UDA, Real IRA, Real IRA, Real IRA

That's definitely NOT Bono's best BTBS rant.

The best was August 12, 1993 at Wembley Stadium in London.

"yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!
see this guy come up to me, see
his face red like a rose on a thorn bush
like all the colours of a royal flush
peeling off those dollar bills
peelin off those dollar bills
slappin em down
we're talkin one hundred!!
two hundred!!
three hundred!!
four fucking hundred!!!
i can see those fighter planes
i can see those fighter planes
haaaah!

across the mud huts where children sleep
through the alleys and the quiet city streets
take the staircase to the first floor
turn the key on el salvador
a man breathes into his saxophone
though the wall, hear the city groan
man breathes into a saxophone
saxophone
saxophone
unnnhhhh
saxophone
a saxophone
a saxophone
outside it's americaaaaaa!!
outside it's americaaaaaa!!
americaaaaaaaa, where the fuck are you?!???!??
united kingdom...fuck you!!!!!!
fuck you germany!!!!
fuck you france!!!!!
zoonited nations!!!
zoonited nations!!!!
zoonited nations!!!!!
we run!!
we run!
into the arms
of america."

Back
Top Bottom