Brooklyn performance not so great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, listened to the mp3's and the boys really need to rehearse more. City of Blinding Lights doesn't sound that good live. Neither does Original of the Species. Even MD and Sometimes lacked the quality of the recent radio and TV live performances . So I guess they weren't in the mood that night?
But, I bet the March 1 performance is gonna rule!

I think it is because the sound quality sucks. I going out on a limb here but had you actually been at the concert, I'm sure you would have thought is was a great performance.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think you're nuts... i was there... city of blinding lights was amazing. original of the species was good, as well... but even bono himself admitted that they hadn't yet figured out how to play it.

OOTS is going to be really difficult... I hope they will tune it down (half), like they did with Kite, One etc... And I also hope Edge will play more guitar in this one (they can use a sequenzer for the piano part)...

It's absolutely impossible to tell much of anything from the DVD, as the audio levels and quality aren't that wonderful. I'd hold off passing judgement about the show until we see the real thing on MTV this week :)

Nah, they sounded great at the show. I think that it's the mp3s, because they are an audience recording.

Had to be there... It was amazing...

And I know I am not a mod or anything, so please don't throw stones at me, but with soooo many threads dedicated to the Brooklyn show, why open a new thread

:hmm:

If I was to have one complaint about this message board is just the sheer amount of threads that get opened on a daily basis

:reject:

Ok, to make up for this, am uploading the mp4 of the Brooklyn show, okay :wink:

i was there in person and listened to the mp3s/video. the truth is that the performance in my opinion was really great. the band sounded amazing, they made a few mistakes like in BD but overall it was awesome.
i think that the sound quality was poor. there's like zero reverb on the vocals and that i think makes it sound less professional but the fact is bono's nailing all the notes and quite well too. if you have a reverb simulator add it and you will see how much better it sounds.
i absolutely love that first scream at the end of i will follow "i willlllll!!" and the crowd goes wild.

Keep up the complaining that is the spirit of this forum lately!
Wait till Friday and if you still dont like it fine keep the thread going but I wouldnt trust some second hand bootleg recording...the sound quality of those files were as bad as I have heard in a long time.

I have to agree here about Original of the Species. It's clear Edge wrote this song on the piano and wants to get that original feeling across, especially seeing as how Bono wrote the lyrics about Edge's daughter. The problem is that this song is one long build up, and without the guitar, it loses much of its power. Bono gives it a great effort, but Edge's ringing guitar in the latter half or third is ESSENTIAL to the success of this song. Casual fans are going to roll their eyes at OOTS and start talking in the stands if they do it like this at every show.

I HATE when the band uses pre-recorded sounds when they don't need to. The sequencers in Bad make the song, but on stuff like Walk On or OOTS, I don't need to hear the damned piano. Also, it's bad enough they use the synth strings crap on their albums, but to hear it live takes a lot of the spontaneity out of the performance.

OOTS does NOT need these extras. Another alternative is for Edge to pull a New Year's Day where he alternates back and forth. And we know how amazing that one is live.

laz

Do they ever have another musician play with them to "fill in" certain parts, like keyboards? That could really help flesh out the sound.

Now that the iTunes versions are out (at least, for the 4 songs), I would have to agree that these were technically poor performances. The energy and spirit were right on, but Bono makes several mistakes on vocals and The Edge makes a few as well, most notably the sing, you're the reason I sing part.

Still, it's not going to slow down my purchasing drive for these live shows available on iTunes. The sound quality is superb!

There- front row, center by Miroslava. It was terrific. I am sure I will prob think otherwise when I get my dvd, though. :)

indra said:
Do they ever have another musician play with them to "fill in" certain parts, like keyboards? That could really help flesh out the sound.
They have done this in the past; someone played keyboards during Please at the Providence Elevation shows, but I know I've read that they'd prefer not to bring another musician onstage.

{{ HATE when the band uses pre-recorded sounds when they don't need to. The sequencers in Bad make the song, but on stuff like Walk On or OOTS, I don't need to hear the damned piano. Also, it's bad enough they use the synth strings crap on their albums, but to hear it live takes a lot of the spontaneity out of the performance.}}

didn't edge play piano and bono guitar on this one??? the video looks like it. was there a second guitar in there? i couldn't hear it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think you're nuts... i was there... city of blinding lights was amazing. original of the species was good, as well... but even bono himself admitted that they hadn't yet figured out how to play it.

I think he's nuts too. I heard the downloads and was amazed at how strong Bono's voice was - he sounded even better than on the album! This bodes well for the tour. I also thought the songs sounded lively and fresh. Granted, I didn't hear everything - just those 4 songs - but they sounded pretty darned good, especially since as of that moment, the album hadn't even been released in the U.S. yet!!

Flying FuManchu said:
OOTS and Walk On without piano would be medicore. While watching/ listening to ABOY... I didn't see an extra guitarist for the lead guitar parts while Edge was playing rhythm.... that sort of disturbs me and makes me think.... was it pre-recorded?

i think even a few times, he switched back and forth between lead and rhythm (he does use that new slide thingy, so it is possible). why not just let bono play guitar to fill in the gaps?

Aardvark747 said:
I have only heard Sometimes...and that sounded fantastic to me!:drool:

I only heard that song and it sounds great to me.
:bow: When he goes for the "SING" note and people cheer!

I´m worried about U2 :sad:

I haven´t heard ANY decent performance from all this HTDAAB promo tour, really :tsk:

check out the ATYCLB promo preformances, yuck!!! But when the tour comes around, they will be on top of the songs for sure, just like last time!!!!

So anyone still worried?

*waves baseball around for encouragement of proper answer*

:wink:

I watched the MTV super-edited version last night and thought Bono sounded brilliant. MTV should be pulled off the airwaves for the way they skipped the middle two minutes of "Sometimes...". Despite that, Bono really nailed the finale. He threw in a small, spontaneous part at the end that added a real nice touch...

The most surprising thing to me was how good "All Because of You" sounded. I have not enjoyed that song at all on the album, but the boys really played it was passion and spirit.

ponkine said:
I´m worried about U2 :sad:

I haven´t heard ANY decent performance from all this HTDAAB promo tour, really :tsk:

Compare this to the best known ATYCLB promo tour show, Irving Plaza.
Band sounds equally good, if not better (I heard Sometimes... from New York and Jonathan Ross, and I saw Vertigo from CD:UK), and Bono sounds much better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom